mohona1827
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
i'm struggling with this question- i would appreciate it if i could get any support from anyone
mohona1827
Rep:
?
Name:  Screenshot 2021-04-08 at 09.37.19.png
Views: 11
Size:  47.7 KB
XHannahR
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mohona1827)
Name:  Screenshot 2021-04-08 at 09.37.19.png
Views: 11
Size:  47.7 KB
Do you known what a hypotonic solution is?
(I’ll try and walk you through the answer by asking questions rather than give you the answer)

*Also, it would be useful if we could see figure A
Last edited by XHannahR; 1 week ago
mohona1827
Rep:
?
ah that's the thing i'm struggling with i don't really know what a hypotonic solution is because when i search it up, it says the when the solution is less concentrated then the cytoplasm and therefore water leaves the cell so that the cell becomes flaccid and shrinks

but in the markscheme to that question ,it talks about water entering the cell and causing the cell to become tugid,hence they burst

and yh absolutlely i'll send figure A

thank you for your help
mohona1827
Rep:
?
(Original post by mohona1827)
ah that's the thing i'm struggling with i don't really know what a hypotonic solution is because when i search it up, it says the when the solution is less concentrated then the cytoplasm and therefore water leaves the cell so that the cell becomes flaccid and shrinks

but in the markscheme to that question ,it talks about water entering the cell and causing the cell to become tugid,hence they burst

and yh absolutlely i'll send figure A

thank you for your help
here's figure A
Attached files
XHannahR
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A hypotonic solution is one that’s less concentrated the cytoplasm, like you’ve rightly said. So using the principles of osmosis, that would mean that water moves into the cell through the partially permeable membrane of the red blood cell, down a water potential gradient. Water has moved into the cell, so the cell will swell and eventually osmotic cell lysis would occur..I.e. the cell will burst! I’m not sure what website you’re using but is seems to have told you the opposite thing?
* ah and no problem, happy to help
Last edited by XHannahR; 1 week ago
mohona1827
Rep:
?
(Original post by XHannahR)
A hypotonic solution is one that’s less concentrated the cytoplasm, like you’ve rightly said. So using the principles of osmosis, that would mean that water moves into the partially permeable membrane of the red blood cell, down a water potential gradient. Water has moved into the cell, so the cell will swell and eventually osmotic cell lysis would occur..I.e. the cell will burst! I’m not sure what website you’re using but is seems to have told you the opposite thing?
ohhh i understand now- i've forgotten what the website was called but i had written it in my flashcard- i'll change it now
thank you so much
XHannahR
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
haha no worries; hopefully the rest of the question makes sense!
just to summarise;
hypotonic = less concentrated (so water moves out by osmosis (to the more concentrated 'thing' until they are isotonic))
hypertonic = more concentrated (so water moves in by osmosis (from the more dilute 'thing' until they are isotonic))
isotonic = equal concentrations
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (102)
5.18%
Uncertainty around my education (295)
14.98%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (208)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (276)
14.02%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (86)
4.37%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (112)
5.69%
Loneliness (172)
8.74%
Financial worries (70)
3.56%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (86)
4.37%
Exposure to negative news/social media (92)
4.67%
Lack of real life entertainment (108)
5.49%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (175)
8.89%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (187)
9.5%

Watched Threads