The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

asians - which bristol accommodation?

hi, i'm considering firming bristol but i know that it isn't the most diverse uni so i'm worried about applying for accommodation, since i'm from london which is way more mixed

just wondering what accommodation other asians planning on going to bristol are considering - i've seen on here that apparently the most diverse ones are in the city?

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I'm not Asian but when I went to Bristol I went to Clifton Hill House. There were Asian people there and they seemed to do pretty well there.

It's a catered accommodation so the rent's a little higher but also you don't spend so much money on groceries.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by Anonymous
hi, i'm considering firming bristol but i know that it isn't the most diverse uni so i'm worried about applying for accommodation, since i'm from london which is way more mixed

just wondering what accommodation other asians planning on going to bristol are considering - i've seen on here that apparently the most diverse ones are in the city?

yh the ones in the city centre (east village) are the most diverse by far
I’m currently in Goldney Hall.

I have seen quite a lot of East Asians here and they’re all super lovely (the ones I met). I imagine overall it’ll mainly be White people.
Bruh Chinese and Koreans are respected type of immigrant. The asians that are disliked are the muslim ones from the middle east because of what has been happening.

Otherwise if you are east asian you will be good.
Bruh Chinese and Koreans are respected type of immigrant. The asians that are disliked are the muslim ones from the middle east because of what has been happening.

Otherwise if you are east asian you will be good.

god this is Hella racist.

and wrong.

who is responsible for coron
For real I was gonna say calling all Chinese and Koreans immigrants then generalising saying only Muslim Middle Eastern people are hated.

Not sure if you meant Qur’an?
Original post by Igotbbcalevel

and wrong.

Original post by Igotbbcalevel

and wrong.

You don't get me. I am british muslim arab. But I know how society is right now. Most of the hate is directed at muslims because obviously the attacks and terrorism that has been going on for the past few years. islam is peaceful and condemns violence but some extremists do it.

Maybe in 2020 coronavirus has increased asian hate but before that japanese, koreans, chinese etc were very respected type of immigrant. I live in the UK so I know. Black and asians have it decent because they follow the same religion, have same names and lifestyle as british people. And there has been few crimes done by them but a lot of crimes done by muslims which increases islamophobia or hate.
You don't get me. I am british muslim arab. But I know how society is right now. Most of the hate is directed at muslims because obviously the attacks and terrorism that has been going on for the past few years. islam is peaceful and condemns violence but some extremists do it.

Maybe in 2020 coronavirus has increased asian hate but before that japanese, koreans, chinese etc were very respected type of immigrant. I live in the UK so I know. Black and asians have it decent because they follow the same religion, have same names and lifestyle as british people. And there has been few crimes done by them but a lot of crimes done by muslims which increases islamophobia or hate.

It's not a competition, there should be no hate. Why are you downplaying racism towards other minorities by saying they have the same names, lifestyles and religion as British people? That's definitely not the case.
It's not a competition, there should be no hate. Why are you downplaying racism towards other minorities by saying they have the same names, lifestyles and religion as British people? That's definitely not the case.

Black and asians dont suffer much racism in the UK, there may be the occasional racist, most of the hate is towards muslims because of crimes/terrorists

America is different obviously and there may be more racism because of their politics with Trump going against black lives matter and calling coronavirus chinese virus. It will get better with Biden administration though.
Black and asians dont suffer much racism in the UK, there may be the occasional racist, most of the hate is towards muslims because of crimes/terrorists

America is different obviously and there may be more racism because of their politics with Trump going against black lives matter and calling coronavirus chinese virus. It will get better with Biden administration though.

As I said it's not a competition and it's insensitive to downplay other people's experiences by saying they "have it decent". Not every Black or Asian person have British names, the same culture (definitely not) so saying that they experience "occasional" racism because of that is ignorant.
As I said it's not a competition and it's insensitive to downplay other people's experiences by saying they "have it decent". Not every Black or Asian person have British names, the same culture (definitely not) so saying that they experience "occasional" racism because of that is ignorant.

Black and asians follow the same religion(either Christian or Atheist), have same names (most black or chinese person have white/western name) and lifestyle(clubbing,alcohol,pork) as british people. The racism cant be that bad. Maybe the occasional fascist/racist but most British people are accepting of different skin colours.

Unlike me, I am british arab my religion is (islam), I dont have a western name (my surname is alnaizy ), I dont have a british lifestyle (i dont drink alchohol, dont eat bacon or pork and dont go clubbing). The only thing I have in common with white/british people is watching a lot of Netflix and eating Mcdonald's.
I don't fit in with white people, however a black or asian/chinese would easily fit in since you have same names, same religion/beliefs, same foods, same lifestyles.
Black and asians follow the same religion(either Christian or Atheist), have same names (most black or chinese person have white/western name) and lifestyle(clubbing,alcohol,pork) as british people. The racism cant be that bad. Maybe the occasional fascist/racist but most British people are accepting of different skin colours.

Unlike me, I am british arab my religion is (islam), I dont have a western name (my surname is alnaizy ), I dont have a british lifestyle (i dont drink alchohol, dont eat bacon or pork and dont go clubbing). The only thing I have in common with white/british people is watching a lot of Netflix and eating Mcdonald's.
I don't fit in with white people, however a black or asian/chinese would easily fit in since you have same names, same religion/beliefs, same foods, same lifestyles.

I'm really sorry you feel that way. Racism affects people in different ways, it's still "bad". It's the uneducated minority of people who would be racist to people based on their religion. Most people know that Islam as a religion is peaceful and moral.
I'm really sorry you feel that way. Racism affects people in different ways, it's still "bad". It's the uneducated minority of people who would be racist to people based on their religion. Most people know that Islam as a religion is peaceful and moral.

It is not necessarily racism but as a muslim, I am considered 'other' by most western people or white people.

Whereas you a black or asian/chinese, you aren't 'other'. Your skin colour is different yes, but you can fit in since you have same names, same religion/beliefs atheism or christianity, same foods like alcohol or pork, same lifestyles like pubs or bars.
It is not necessarily racism but as a muslim, I am considered 'other' by most western people or white people.

Whereas you a black or asian/chinese, you aren't 'other'. Your skin colour is different yes, but you can fit in since you have same names, same religion/beliefs atheism or christianity, same foods like alcohol or pork, same lifestyles like pubs or bars.

I've tried being understandable and empathetic with you but you're repeating the same thing.

All Ethnic minorities are considered "other" as the majority of Britain is white, understandably. You cannot speak for Asian and Black people and say that they "fit in" so the number of racist cases is lower, it is so ignorant. I guarantee you that Asian and Black people who have the "same lifestyles", "same names", "same religion/beliefs" and "same food" as white people have been a victim of racial abuse. Random strangers who are racially abusive do not know the victim's name, what food they eat, what lifestyle they have, it's merely because of the way they look.
I've tried being understandable and empathetic with you but you're repeating the same thing.

All Ethnic minorities are considered "other" as the majority of Britain is white, understandably. You cannot speak for Asian and Black people and say that they "fit in" so the number of racist cases is lower, it is so ignorant. I guarantee you that Asian and Black people who have the "same lifestyles", "same names", "same religion/beliefs" and "same food" as white people have been a victim of racial abuse. Random strangers who are racially abusive do not know the victim's name, what food they eat, what lifestyle they have, it's merely because of the way they look.

Those random strangers are usually racists or fascists, white supremacists, white nationalists, anti-immigration UKIP types. It doesn't happen always on all streets. Just sometimes. And in public places like schools or universities, most black or chinese/asians I see have plenty of white friends and are accepted because the culture is the same.
Those random strangers are usually racists or fascists, white supremacists, white nationalists, anti-immigration UKIP types. It doesn't happen always on all streets. Just sometimes. And in public places like schools or universities, most black or chinese/asians I see have plenty of white friends and are accepted because the culture is the same.

Yes, they would be racists if they're racist to another person. It's not just far-right people, it's uneducated people (even children). So, you're saying that Muslims aren't "accepted" by white people at all? Just because these people you've mentioned have white friends, that means they won't be victims of racism?
asian @bristol - have lived in Orchard heights, Studio 58, King Square
Yes, they would be racists if they're racist to another person. It's not just far-right people, it's uneducated people (even children). So, you're saying that Muslims aren't "accepted" by white people at all? Just because these people you've mentioned have white friends, that means they won't be victims of racism?

Yeah white people don't like muslims. We are too different. skin colour, name is different, religion is different, don't eat pork, don't drink alcohol, no bars or pubs or nightclubs . The muslims that fit in with western people usually just ignore rules/islamic practices and drink alcohol, go bars, change their names, go pubs etc.

I know black and asian suffer racism but the law has strict anti discrimination. Plus Black or Asian/chinese have same culture as white people, only difference is skin colour. So I understand that there are some racist people, but not a majority. Get good education, good money and you can make a lot of white friends and have white boyfriend or girlfriend. If you improve your financial situation, it will be easier to avoid bad racist neighbourhoods or bad places.
Yeah white people don't like muslims. We are too different. skin colour, name is different, religion is different, don't eat pork, don't drink alcohol, no bars or pubs or nightclubs . The muslims that fit in with western people usually just ignore rules/islamic practices and drink alcohol, go bars, change their names, go pubs etc.

I know black and asian suffer racism but the law has strict anti discrimination. Plus Black or Asian/chinese have same culture as white people, only difference is skin colour. So I understand that there are some racist people, but not a majority. Get good education, good money and you can make a lot of white friends and have white boyfriend or girlfriend. If you improve your financial situation, it will be easier to avoid bad racist neighbourhoods or bad places.

You're now generalising another group of people. I know devout Muslims who are friends with white people, it's really not uncommon. When you say that Asian and Black people have the same culture, where are you getting this from? The whole point of a culture is to be different and unique among people of the same ethnicity/race. There is definitely more difference between Asian/Black people and white people than skin colour.

Quick Reply

Latest