I hate my job but can’t leave because of University

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am currently working full time at a Psychiatric hospital however I am also at University doing my nursing (funded by work). I attend university one day a week and work 3 days a week (14 hour shifts).

I absolutely hate my job, it is either boring and spent observing patients or it is hectic - short staffed and dealing with violence/self harm incidents.

I find myself dreading going to work and anxious when I’m there just counting down the hours until I’m done.

My long term plan is to become a community psychiatric nurse and aesthetic practitioner and I do really enjoy my university course. I have worked in various settings prior and do want to be a mental health nurse so it isn’t something I want to change in that respect. I cannot leave because this isn’t something I can fund myself as well as paying my mortgage, bills etc.

I think I’m asking for miraculous advice here on how to get through the next 3 years or if anyone has been in a similar position to me.

Thank you
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Move to a full time MH Nursing degree where the placements will vary and you can work bank shifts as a HCW?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Any scope to have a less gruelling shift pattern?

Ask for ideas on the Nursing forum.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Move to a full time MH Nursing degree where the placements will vary and you can work bank shifts as a HCW?
Unfortunately I can’t because work are putting me through it and I’m halfway through my first year and I couldn’t earn enough to cover my bills 😔
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Any scope to have a less gruelling shift pattern?

Ask for ideas on the Nursing forum.
They’re all long days unfortunately! I will thank you it’s my first time posting so think I uploaded it to the wrong one. Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (211)
42.89%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (75)
15.24%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (198)
40.24%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.63%

Watched Threads