YatoSan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I've given up studying for A Levels.

I just feel like there's this safety blanket of 'even if I do badly in these mocks, it won't matter because they'll also use other evidence'

So far this easter break, I've hardly done anything because it seems like too much effort to even do flashcards.
The yung bean
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you're 100% sure youll get your uni grades then cool. But don't leave anything to chance.
Whatevenisschool
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by YatoSan)

I just feel like there's this safety blanket of 'even if I do badly in these mocks, it won't matter because they'll also use other evidence'

So far this easter break, I've hardly done anything because it seems like too much effort to even do flashcards.
I've semi-given up too. Although, unlike you I don't have the back up. I worked so so hard throughout lockdown (not that any evidence could be taken or viewed by my teachers).
YatoSan
Rep:
?
(Original post by The yung bean)
If you're 100% sure youll get your uni grades then cool. But don't leave anything to chance.
I only need one C because I'll be doing an art foundation year afterwards lol
starrystudy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've fully given up as well, except I need A*AA to get into med school
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by starrystudy)
But why, when such a wonderful opportunity is there for the taking?
YatoSan
Rep:
?
(Original post by starrystudy)
Oh noo, good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine!
itsyahg
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

well you can never regret trying your best and doing extra revision just in case. But if you end up having to do exams the only thing you would regret is not putting in effort at that time. Might as well just try, you're not losing anything in doing so and it's a good way to keep your brain active
YatoSan
Rep:
?
(Original post by itsyahg)
well you can never regret trying your best and doing extra revision just in case. But if you end up having to do exams the only thing you would regret is not putting in effort at that time. Might as well just try, you're not losing anything in doing so and it's a good way to keep your brain active
I've been trying to revise for a whole week, but it ends up being ineffective and honestly, I just hate doing it. I don't want to waste any mental energy anymore lol, but I also don't do anything fun and mostly just sit around. I've become a lazy vegetable
itsyahg
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've been trying to revise for a whole week, but it ends up being ineffective and honestly, I just hate doing it. I don't want to waste any mental energy anymore lol, but I also don't do anything fun and mostly just sit around. I've become a lazy vegetable
it is hard to start getting into revision so i get what you mean. are you happy lazing around and doing nothing though?
Interea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I mean if you're sure these exams can be completely ignored in calculating your grades, I can't blame you - might still be worth pushing for the best grades possible though, you never know what will happen in the future (speaking as someone who had an unconditional offer, dropped out, and was then very very glad to have good A level grades to fall back on!)
YatoSan
Rep:
?
it is hard to start getting into revision so i get what you mean. are you happy lazing around and doing nothing though?
Not at all
I sit there with the work around me but I'm always thinking of how much I'd like to draw. So I waste loads of time (and I mean like 5 hours per day) wishing I could be drawing, and searching for inspiration on the internet, so I end up getting nothing done!

It's making me feel like a useless pile of crap :afraid:

Maybe I should do the work that doesn't require the internet from now on...
YatoSan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interea)
I mean if you're sure these exams can be completely ignored in calculating your grades, I can't blame you - might still be worth pushing for the best grades possible though, you never know what will happen in the future (speaking as someone who had an unconditional offer, dropped out, and was then very very glad to have good A level grades to fall back on!)
Thank you for the advice and that's so lucky, congrats!

I'll have to see what I can do.
itsyahg
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not at all
I sit there with the work around me but I'm always thinking of how much I'd like to draw. So I waste loads of time (and I mean like 5 hours per day) wishing I could be drawing, and searching for inspiration on the internet, so I end up getting nothing done!

It's making me feel like a useless pile of crap :afraid:

Maybe I should do the work that doesn't require the internet from now on...
well isn't that enough motivation to make you want to make yourself happy?

I think you should create a revision timetable. Or not even for revision just a timetable for everyday. I am in my final year of university and every single year i've been making revision timetables - they really do help me be more motivated and better. it doesn't matter if you start off with just small tasks everyday but do it!!!
eve9
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I get what you mean. Idk what year you’re in, i’m yr12 and I’ve been feeling really unmotivated to revise. However, I downloaded this app called study bunny which is basically just an app for the pomodoro technique, but i’ve found it really helpful! Just by breaking the tasks down it’s way less overwhelming. It’s also been helpful because you can do 30minute chunks of revision and then have a break. Doing more regular smaller chunks will be way more effective than sitting down for a few hours getting nothing done. At the start of the day or whenever you’re planning on starting work, just make a little list of 3/4 things you need to get done and ticking them off can feel really rewarding. Hope this was some sort of help for you
YatoSan
Rep:
?
well isn't that enough motivation to make you want to make yourself happy?

I think you should create a revision timetable. Or not even for revision just a timetable for everyday. I am in my final year of university and every single year i've been making revision timetables - they really do help me be more motivated and better. it doesn't matter if you start off with just small tasks everyday but do it!!!
It's really hard for me to make a timetable since sometimes I'm motivated in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon! It really depends. So I was thinking just doing the studying whenever I feel like it/ after I've done a decent amount of drawing I guess? And completely eradicate the distractions.

Maybe a timetable could work though, perhaps I should try it! Thank you so much for the suggestion
Last edited by YatoSan; 1 week ago
YatoSan
Rep:
?
(Original post by eve9)
I get what you mean. Idk what year you’re in, i’m yr12 and I’ve been feeling really unmotivated to revise. However, I downloaded this app called study bunny which is basically just an app for the pomodoro technique, but i’ve found it really helpful! Just by breaking the tasks down it’s way less overwhelming. It’s also been helpful because you can do 30minute chunks of revision and then have a break. Doing more regular smaller chunks will be way more effective than sitting down for a few hours getting nothing done. At the start of the day or whenever you’re planning on starting work, just make a little list of 3/4 things you need to get done and ticking them off can feel really rewarding. Hope this was some sort of help for you
Thank you so much for the suggestion, I'll have to try that!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (208)
42.8%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (75)
15.43%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (195)
40.12%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.65%

Watched Threads