Using formula sheet during Alevel math exam

Watch
RoarJ
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
theres lots of things to memorise and remember in single maths, but a lot of it is provided in the formula booklet during exams. (I'm doing Edexel single mathematics alevel). Would you say it is a good idea to refer to the formula booklet during the exam for formulas and equations and identities or is it better to memorise them as going through the booklet might slow me down? Some maths teachers ahve said that by using the formula booklet we won't get any more than a grade C as it will be wasting our time since the booklet is so big. However, I have gotten used to using the booklet and can easily navigate through it, and the formulas i need are near the beginning of the book. So would it be a good or bad idea to use the formula booklet during my exams?
Interea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have literally never heard a teacher say not to use the formula book, memorising all of the formulae perfectly is a massive waste of time when they're given to you for a reason! As long as you know which section is relevant to you and turn there at the start of the exam you'll have no issue - not sure what your teachers think you'll be getting confused by looking at pretty much just 4 pages...
Y1_UniMaths
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I didn't need a formula booklet during my tests. If you practice enough questions the formulas just stay in your head without having to keep looking them up. I wouldn't deliberately try to memorize them though
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Y1_UniMaths)
I didn't need a formula booklet during my tests. If you practice enough questions the formulas just stay in your head without having to keep looking them up. I wouldn't deliberately try to memorize them though
basically this, haha
RoarJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interea)
I have literally never heard a teacher say not to use the formula book, memorising all of the formulae perfectly is a massive waste of time when they're given to you for a reason! As long as you know which section is relevant to you and turn there at the start of the exam you'll have no issue - not sure what your teachers think you'll be getting confused by looking at pretty much just 4 pages...
Exactly my point! Thank you for the reassurance
RoarJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Y1_UniMaths)
Yup! Makes sense 👍🏼
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (130)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (395)
14.85%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (297)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (374)
14.06%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (121)
4.55%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (163)
6.13%
Loneliness (226)
8.5%
Financial worries (98)
3.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (109)
4.1%
Exposure to negative news/social media (121)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (140)
5.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (233)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (253)
9.51%

Watched Threads