A level maths question by topic old/new?

Watch
curiousperson123
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
So on physics and maths tutor, you can do questions by topic. I want to do the bare minimum to get an a* in Edexcel maths a level. Should I do the question by topic for the old spec
or question by topic for the new spec so 2017 and onwards? If I just do all the new spec questions by topic, am I missing out on anything valuable from the old spec question by topic bank?
Interea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by curiousperson123)
So on physics and maths tutor, you can do questions by topic. I want to do the bare minimum to get an a* in Edexcel maths a level. Should I do the question by topic for the old spec
or question by topic for the new spec so 2017 and onwards? If I just do all the new spec questions by topic, am I missing out on anything valuable from the old spec question by topic bank?
I think the new spec sections aren't complete yet, so you may find some topics missing questions (at which point you could look at the old spec stuff, although I think some of the new spec ones are just renamed old spec question sets). Old spec is good in terms of quantity of practice, but the questions do tend to be easier and more split into parts to help you along the way, so make sure you are doing some questions made specifically for the new specification too.

To be honest, I didn't do anything outside of the textbook and whatever mocks my school set to revise for Edexcel maths A level and did fine, so anything from PMT is probably just a bonus
curiousperson123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interea)
I think the new spec sections aren't complete yet, so you may find some topics missing questions (at which point you could look at the old spec stuff, although I think some of the new spec ones are just renamed old spec question sets). Old spec is good in terms of quantity of practice, but the questions do tend to be easier and more split into parts to help you along the way, so make sure you are doing some questions made specifically for the new specification too.

To be honest, I didn't do anything outside of the textbook and whatever mocks my school set to revise for Edexcel maths A level and did fine, so anything from PMT is probably just a bonus
Hi which website is better for past papers and question by topic papers, maths genie or physics and maths tutor? If you had to pick just one!
Interea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by curiousperson123)
Hi which website is better for past papers and question by topic papers, maths genie or physics and maths tutor? If you had to pick just one!
I've never used maths genie so I'm biased to PMT haha, I've heard good things about both though so I'm sure either is a solid choice
curiousperson123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interea)
I've never used maths genie so I'm biased to PMT haha, I've heard good things about both though so I'm sure either is a solid choice
Aww thank you x
Xxbioxx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Does anyone have the edexcel maths alevel 2020 papers? If do pls dm me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (92)
42.59%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (38)
17.59%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (83)
38.43%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (3)
1.39%

Watched Threads