Muhammeddd
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello, would anyone like to proofread for each others portfolios. This would be a great chance to advance each others English essays. Or if anyone would just willingly do mine. If a teacher is a available to heal on this platform that would be amazing if you proofread my essay. Thank you.
BlackLab
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
not sure you are allowed to "advance each others English essays" 🤔
Muhammeddd
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlackLab)
not sure you are allowed to "advance each others English essays" 🤔
I mean there’s no harm in it. The teachers aren’t watching our screens 😂. I’m pretty sure it’s allowed to proofread. That’s one of the main advances you can make towards your writings as a writer.
BlackLab
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There is plenty of harm in it. Get a family member to proof read for you. You would be mad to share your essay on any public forum.
Muhammeddd
Rep:
?
There is plenty of harm in it. Get a family member to proof read for you. You would be mad to share your essay on any public forum.
I would share it personally with that individual who is willing to proofread for each other but not share it with the whole app. I will send it individually.
BlackLab
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I really can't work out if you are joking with me now or if you are really lacking both common sense and integrity 🤔

Once you share with this complete stranger you want to "advance your essay" you lose all control over that document. Did you not get any internet safety lessons in your school?

You are asking people on an open forum to help you cheat on a folio which your school will have told you must be your own work. Even our Higher English teachers this year have told us the amount of help they can give on essay drafts is very limited, they can only say if you are on the right track or not.

Send to me and I'll advance it for you, my email is [email protected] v.uk 🤣
Muhammeddd
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I really can't work out if you are joking with me now or if you are really lacking both common sense and integrity 🤔

Once you share with this complete stranger you want to "advance your essay" you lose all control over that document. Did you not get any internet safety lessons in your school?

You are asking people on an open forum to help you cheat on a folio which your school will have told you must be your own work. Even our Higher English teachers this year have told us the amount of help they can give on essay drafts is very limited, they can only say if you are on the right track or not.

Send to me and I'll advance it for you, my email is [email protected] v.uk 🤣
My guy get a life pleaseee 😳. You seem so cynical. You show no trust in people. I said specifically only if they trade and I trust them. I wouldn’t share it with an anonymous individual. Proofreading is not cheating it is a principle procedure which writers must take to prefect their writing. It’s very hard to spot your own mistake. Though it’s not classified cheating, even if it were cheating they WOULD NOT KNOW!, so who cares. Live a little 🤷🏽*♂️.
Omair1201
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Muhammeddd)
My guy get a life pleaseee 😳. You seem so cynical. You show no trust in people. I said specifically only if they trade and I trust them. I wouldn’t share it with an anonymous individual. Proofreading is not cheating it is a principle procedure which writers must take to prefect their writing. It’s very hard to spot your own mistake. Though it’s not classified cheating, even if it were cheating they WOULD NOT KNOW!, so who cares. Live a little 🤷🏽*♂️.
I completely agree with BlackLab, if you want someone to proofread it, use your teachers and not people over the Internet that you have no knowledge on who they actually are. It would be in your best interests to get your teacher to read it too and listen to their feedback, even if it is them only looking for spelling and grammar mistakess, to improve as they will be they ones that are assessing them this year. In a normal year, giving someone your folio to proofread could result in them copying your topic/ideas etc. which could definitely result in plagiarism. Even if you don't get caught as such, I don't understand why you would risk that chance lol, it will definitely not bode well in university and later years.
use the understanding standards page of the sqa for past folio work, and look at the folio pieces there and read the feedback from the markers and make sure you're not falling into the traps that would lower your mark.
Muhammeddd
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Omair1201)
I completely agree with BlackLab, if you want someone to proofread it, use your teachers and not people over the Internet that you have no knowledge on who they actually are. It would be in your best interests to get your teacher to read it too and listen to their feedback, even if it is them only looking for spelling and grammar mistakess, to improve as they will be they ones that are assessing them this year. In a normal year, giving someone your folio to proofread could result in them copying your topic/ideas etc. which could definitely result in plagiarism. Even if you don't get caught as such, I don't understand why you would risk that chance lol, it will definitely not bode well in university and later years.
use the understanding standards page of the sqa for past folio work, and look at the folio pieces there and read the feedback from the markers and make sure you're not falling into the traps that would lower your mark.
Thats the thing tho. My teacher is no help!!. I didn’t say I will trust anyone. I’ll be willing to do a trade of proofreading for each other.
Omair1201
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Muhammeddd)
Thats the thing tho. My teacher is no help!!. I didn’t say I will trust anyone. I’ll be willing to do a trade of proofreading for each other.
as mentioned, start with the understanding standards page, and look at the folio pieces for higher and advanced higher, which is what I did, and read them. look at what they done well and what they could've improved upon, and then see what the markers have put down for feedback, and then look over your own pieces, and essentially compare it to their standards.

your teacher shouldn't mark you down if you've made a silly mistake unless it's consistently present throughout.
Last edited by Omair1201; 5 days ago
BlackLab
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It is a higher folio piece our teacher didn't help either, it isn't like nat5 where they give you lots of pointers, they don't proof read either, it is your own work this year. Ours only looked at it and said if we were on the right track or not. I think the only piece of advice I got was to say it was on the right track but remove the plot twist at the end as they thought sqa hated twists.

Once you have your plot/storyline then look back and see where you can use sentence structure, own words, imagery, tone, alliteration, lists with a climax and all the other techniques you have been studying over the last 2 years to make it better, but don't over do if it doesn't flow. Look at it from a setting and how you can relate it to the story with imagery, look at your character and see how you can add depth.
Last edited by BlackLab; 5 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (210)
42.86%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (75)
15.31%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (197)
40.2%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.63%

Watched Threads