Medicalperson222
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey guys I have a question and maybe u would be able to answer this.
I achieved 5 A * in the past , was pushed by my parents to do medicine, I'm at medical school but I had loads of gap years due to my moms poor heath . I had a failed my exams couple of years ago due to her death and now I returned to continue the degree . However I'm incredibly traumatised by this and I never enjoyed medicine anyway. But I always had a dream to try at Cambridge and I achieved amazing grades for this . Do u think I still stand a chance to study something I love at Cambridge although I ruined my life with medical school and failed exams ?
Last edited by Medicalperson222; 1 week ago
Smouncher
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Absolutely, you will regret it if you don’t try!
Sandtrooper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Medicalperson222)
Hey guys I have a question and maybe u would be able to answer this.
I achieved 5 A * in the past , was pushed by my parents to do medicine, I'm at medical school but I had loads of gap years due to my moms poor heath . I had a failed my exams couple of years ago due to her death and now I returned to continue the degree . However I'm incredibly traumatised by this and I never enjoyed medicine anyway. But I always had a dream to try at Cambridge and I achieved amazing grades for this . Do u think I still stand a chance to study something I love at Cambridge although I ruined my life with medical school and failed exams ?
Are you currently studying at the moment? Where are you studying, and what subject? Would you be applying for undergraduate or graduate entry medicine?
Medicalperson222
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sandtrooper)
Are you currently studying at the moment? Where are you studying, and what subject? Would you be applying for undergraduate or graduate entry medicine?
Sorry for the confusion! I'm currently studying medicine at the university and want to leave it and apply to study a different UG degree!
young man
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How old are you?
Sandtrooper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sorry for the confusion! I'm currently studying medicine at the university and want to leave it and apply to study a different UG degree!
Do you know what you want to study? You can't apply to Cambridge whilst at another university.
Medicalperson222
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sandtrooper)
Do you know what you want to study? You can't apply to Cambridge whilst at another university.
Yes I know ! It's very frustrating tbh! I remember I talked to the college admission and explained the situation and they haven't mentioned anything about this ! What if I'm planning to leave after the next year and want to apply before leaving ? Do I actually have to first leave my medical degree ?
Additionally, they even said that they are interested in the reference letter from the current uni .
Last edited by Medicalperson222; 1 week ago
Sandtrooper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes I know ! It's very frustrating tbh! I remember I talked to the college admission and explained the situation and they haven't mentioned anything about this ! What if I'm planning to leave after the next year and want to apply before leaving ? Do I actually have to first leave my medical degree ?
It's not possible unless you have a very good reason. What course did you want to apply for? Also, you might get a year less of Student Finance, so bear that in mind.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Additionally, they even said that they are interested in the reference letter from the current uni .
You'd have to leave your medical degree first before applying.

What year are you in at the moment? It's best to negotiate with your current med school - if you are above 3rd year they may be able to give you a "medical sciences BSc" or something degree.

Also, you need to bear in mind that once you have left a medical school, you would virtually never have a chance to study at another UK med school again.
Medicalperson222
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
You'd have to leave your medical degree first before applying.

What year are you in at the moment? It's best to negotiate with your current med school - if you are above 3rd year they may be able to give you a "medical sciences BSc" or something degree.

Also, you need to bear in mind that once you have left a medical school, you would virtually never have a chance to study at another UK med school again.
Thank for the explanation! But also to confirm this- is it mentioned anywhere officially that you are not allowed to apply while studying somewhere else . Not that I don't trust you- just to make sure 😀
Yes I would get unclassified bachelors degree which is useless for me
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank for the explanation! But also to confirm this- is it mentioned anywhere officially that you are not allowed to apply while studying somewhere else . Not that I don't trust you- just to make sure 😀
Yes I would get unclassified bachelors degree which is useless for me
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....k-universities

The Cambridge Colleges will not normally consider applications to Cambridge from students enrolled on degree courses at other UK universities unless there are exceptional circumstances or there is a change of subject (in which case a letter of support from the student's current institution is required). If in doubt, applicants should contact individual Colleges for further guidance.
Medicalperson222
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....k-universities

The Cambridge Colleges will not normally consider applications to Cambridge from students enrolled on degree courses at other UK universities unless there are exceptional circumstances or there is a change of subject (in which case a letter of support from the student's current institution is required). If in doubt, applicants should contact individual Colleges for further guidance.
Thanks ! I guess I would need to contact individual colleges regarding this . I mean maybe if I explain my situation they would be understanding .
Sandtrooper
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Thanks ! I guess I would need to contact individual colleges regarding this . I mean maybe if I explain my situation they would be understanding .
What degree would you be applying to do?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (170)
41.87%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (60)
14.78%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (168)
41.38%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.97%

Watched Threads