Ahm_201
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I got a 6 in Maths GCSE and the minimum entry requirements (for the unis that I want to apply for) is grade 7.

Universities' deadline is around Oct - Jan .

I emailed my college about retaking my Maths GCSE and they told me that the summer 2021 exams got cancelled and the next time I could retake it is in Autumn (around Nov) and I will get my results ~ mid Jan.

Any advise on how I can apply to the unis that require a grade 7 in maths and/or retaking my Maths GCSE before Summer 2021?

TIA
mike23mike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You are in a pickle. You should take the exam in Nov 2021, then wait to get the results mid Jan 2022. Hopefully you get the 7 you require. Then you apply late via UCAS to your preferred unis. You should have sat for your maths in Nov 2019.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
GCSE requirements are not flexible. If you apply with a 'below' grade its the quickest way to get a rejection.

As schools are awarding grades this year, if you are not registered at a school or exam centre already, you cannot just 'register for the exam' now as there is no coursework for them to base a grade on. Therefore you will have to register for the first in-person exams, ie. November.

If you are applying for 2022 entry, then this is perfectly okay.
Ahm_201
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by McGinger)
GCSE requirements are not flexible. If you apply with a 'below' grade its the quickest way to get a rejection.

As schools are awarding grades this year, if you are not registered at a school or exam centre already, you cannot just 'register for the exam' now as there is no coursework for them to base a grade on. Therefore you will have to register for the first in-person exams, ie. November.

If you are applying for 2022 entry, then this is perfectly okay.
But don't you have to apply from Sep 2021? Do I just write in my application that (for example) I am currently resitting my GCSE this November?
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ahm_201)
But don't you have to apply from Sep 2021? Do I just write in my application that (for example) I am currently resitting my GCSE this November?
You would just list the GCSE resit alongside your A levels/BTECs as 'pending' qualifications - any offer would include the GCSE requirement as a separate condition.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (201)
43.04%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (70)
14.99%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (188)
40.26%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.71%

Watched Threads