The Student Room Group

The pill and anaesthetic

So, it’s common knowledge that anaesthesia can make the pill less effective, But I’m on the pill to prevent periods, not babies.
I am taking the pill continuously but I’ve just started a 4 day break from the pill bc of breakthrough bleeding.
I am having surgery in 2 weeks. Will I get another withdrawal bleed after the surgery bc of the anaesthesia?

Also IK you’re supposed to take the pill for a min of 21 days before another break. Why is that? Is that just a baby prevention thing or does it apply to the withdrawal bleeds too?
I can't really help with the withdrawal bleed but for my pill I don't have to take a break so idk if you'd want to consider changing pills?
I'm on the minipill and you don't have to take a break in between, I've been on it since June and took a few weeks for my periods to settle down but for me it was 100% worth it as I haven't had a period since July ish. Plus this one, for me, didn't affect my mood and I only put on a little bit of weight, it hasn't had any bad repercussions. This is for just periods too, not for preventing pregnancies. Not trying to convert you at all haha but in case you were having a lot of surgery or will be in the future, it could be worth considering?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I can't really help with the withdrawal bleed but for my pill I don't have to take a break so idk if you'd want to consider changing pills?
I'm on the minipill and you don't have to take a break in between, I've been on it since June and took a few weeks for my periods to settle down but for me it was 100% worth it as I haven't had a period since July ish. Plus this one, for me, didn't affect my mood and I only put on a little bit of weight, it hasn't had any bad repercussions. This is for just periods too, not for preventing pregnancies. Not trying to convert you at all haha but in case you were having a lot of surgery or will be in the future, it could be worth considering?

I’m already taking it continuously. I said so in my post.
I’m just mildly concerned about the minimum 21 days thing as the surgery may be before then
It’s a one off surgery too so I don’t have to worry about that

Quick Reply