[Scotland] What would a student achieve if they left in 3rd year of a 4 year course?

Watch
Stb1750
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
I understand that if a student left after 1st year they could achieve a Certificate in Higher Education, and if they left in 2nd year they could achieve a Diploma in Higher Education. So what would happen after 3rd year and the student leaves?
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Ordinary Bachelor Degree
SCQF level 9
Credit points: At least 360 credits of which a minimum of 100 are at least at SCQF level 9

The standard of the Bachelor’s Degree shall be that expected of a person with prior knowledge and skills who has successfully completed a programme of study which is suitable for the fulfilment of the University’s graduate skills and attributes and learning outcomes (see Quality Handbook); the normal length of the programme for the degree shall be three academic years of full-time study or equivalent or longer if the programme requires a significant element of professional practice or placement.
Stb1750
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
Ordinary Bachelor Degree
SCQF level 9
Credit points: At least 360 credits of which a minimum of 100 are at least at SCQF level 9

The standard of the Bachelor’s Degree shall be that expected of a person with prior knowledge and skills who has successfully completed a programme of study which is suitable for the fulfilment of the University’s graduate skills and attributes and learning outcomes (see Quality Handbook); the normal length of the programme for the degree shall be three academic years of full-time study or equivalent or longer if the programme requires a significant element of professional practice or placement.
Thanks! So, would an employer consider anyone with an Ordinary Bachelor Degree? Would a Masters subject accept them for entry? Or is it better to get the Honours?
Last edited by Stb1750; 3 days ago
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Stb1750)
Thanks! So, would an employer consider anyone with an Ordinary Bachelor Degree? Would a Masters subject accept them for entry? Or is it better to get the Honours?
Some employers will accept an Ordinary Bachelor Degree, most masters will not.
Getting the honours degree is a far better option.
martin7
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Stb1750)
I understand that if a student left after 1st year they could achieve a Certificate in Higher Education, and if they left in 2nd year they could achieve a Diploma in Higher Education. So what would happen after 3rd year and the student leaves?
It would be best to check with your university, to make sure that the specific course you're doing does allow an award to be granted if you leave early (and what the award would be). That way you can make a decision based on the facts. (Note, I've no reason to disbelieve what GabiAbi84 has written; rather I'm suggesting that this is a significant decision, and one where you don't want to be making assumptions.)

It would be much better to complete the course and get a degree with honours.

You don't say why you're considering leaving after three years. Depending on your reasons, you could ask what the options are for suspending studies after the third year, and embark on the fourth year after a year away.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (67)
18.87%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.37%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.79%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.85%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.1%
Taster lectures or seminars (76)
21.41%
Speak to current students studying my course (81)
22.82%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (15)
4.23%
Fun online activities or experiences (13)
3.66%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.25%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
1.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed