Rhyshill02
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So the government said they’re cancelling exams. To avoid outrage they’re making us do “ mocks”. Which are exams but they worded it differently. How is this fair when we’ve missed so much .
Interea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rhyshill02)
So the government said they’re cancelling exams. To avoid outrage they’re making us do “ mocks”. Which are exams but they worded it differently. How is this fair when we’ve missed so much .
I think the idea is to give schools more freedom dependent on how much they missed (i.e. how their online learning provision was, how many people had to self isolate, etc.). For example, some of my tutees didn't really have much online teaching, so their maths teachers have cut out all the applied maths content. Other tutees are missing out certain pure topics, and others are being tested on everything since they had time to cover everything (supposedly, doesn't seem like they did though so that's definitely a little unfair!). It means comparisons can be made at a school level, rather than trying to compare an entire country of differently disadvantaged students.

In theory, a decently fair idea, all things considered. In practice, it's just resulted in teachers rushing through content and trying to set as many tests as possible and massively overloading students...
Rhyshill02
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Interea)
I think the idea is to give schools more freedom dependent on how much they missed (i.e. how their online learning provision was, how many people had to self isolate, etc.). For example, some of my tutees didn't really have much online teaching, so their maths teachers have cut out all the applied maths content. Other tutees are missing out certain pure topics, and others are being tested on everything since they had time to cover everything (supposedly, doesn't seem like they did though so that's definitely a little unfair!). It means comparisons can be made at a school level, rather than trying to compare an entire country of differently disadvantaged students.

In theory, a decently fair idea, all things considered. In practice, it's just resulted in teachers rushing through content and trying to set as many tests as possible and massively overloading students...
In my college we have missed loads of work. I just find it unfair forcing us to do full mocks when we haven’t learnt anything. On top of coursework due in. They should drop the grade boundaries or something. Students always get ignored and ****** over .
Interea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
In my college we have missed loads of work. I just find it unfair forcing us to do full mocks when we haven’t learnt anything. On top of coursework due in. They should drop the grade boundaries or something. Students always get ignored and ****** over .
Yeah I think the idea was your college could drop content from exams if they haven't taught it, and set the grade boundaries accordingly for your school (they don't have to match previous grade distributions). Sounds like your college are just acting like they've covered everything though which is a pain
Rhyshill02
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Interea)
Yeah I think the idea was your college could drop content from exams if they haven't taught it, and set the grade boundaries accordingly for your school (they don't have to match previous grade distributions). Sounds like your college are just acting like they've covered everything though which is a pain
It really is a pain aha
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
They should drop the grade boundaries or something.
They will. This year's grades, will be significantly higher than average, despite students knowing significantly less. I think students have missed more than last year's exam students but will get even higher grades. You have to ask yourself if this is fair on the 2019 students.
Rhyshill02
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Compost)
They will. This year's grades, will be significantly higher than average, despite students knowing significantly less. I think students have missed more than last year's exam students but will get even higher grades. You have to ask yourself if this is fair on the 2019 students.
No it’s not fair on them. The government really messed their results up.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
No it’s not fair on them. The government really messed their results up.
I disagree, the 2019 results were consistent with previous years and so could be regarded as fair. It is the 2020 and 2021 students who will benefit from getting significantly higher grades than they would have done without the pandemic, making them the winners and disadvantaging the students who took exams in previous years
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (172)
41.85%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (61)
14.84%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (170)
41.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.95%

Watched Threads