MelonCrazy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Hi, I am currently in year 12 studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Politics. While I really enjoy maths (and further) as well as Economics, Politics sticks out like a sore thumb. I don't hate Politics, but I don't really enjoy it either. It takes up quite a bit of my time since it's so heavily 'content' based and so I find myself losing time which I could be using trying to practise further maths, since it's such a difficult course.

So far, I have considered Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, Durham as potential unis I would want to study at, with the hope of studying an Economics course (pure or with Maths where possible).

So, my question is would dropping Politics affect my chances for getting into any of these unis? I understand the 4 a levels is always better than 3, but many of my friends say that perhaps it's better to do really well in 3 than averagely in 4. I've got good grades in all 4 subjects, but as I said before, I really don't enjoy politics that much. Does anyone have any advice/feedback they can give me?
Thank you so much.
JayJayJay1212
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by MelonCrazy)
Hi, I am currently in year 12 studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Politics. While I really enjoy maths (and further) as well as Economics, Politics sticks out like a sore thumb. I don't hate Politics, but I don't really enjoy it either. It takes up quite a bit of my time since it's so heavily 'content' based and so I find myself losing time which I could be using trying to practise further maths, since it's such a difficult course.

So far, I have considered Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, Durham as potential unis I would want to study at, with the hope of studying an Economics course (pure or with Maths where possible).

So, my question is would dropping Politics affect my chances for getting into any of these unis? I understand the 4 a levels is always better than 3, but many of my friends say that perhaps it's better to do really well in 3 than averagely in 4. I've got good grades in all 4 subjects, but as I said before, I really don't enjoy politics that much. Does anyone have any advice/feedback they can give me?
Thank you so much.
what are grade on your a level or even better predicted grades.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by MelonCrazy)
Thank you so much.
4 A levels is not necessary for almost every uni course. Doing 3 really well is much better than taking on too much and dropping all your grades a bit.
When my daughter was choosing sixth form the 2 options had different approaches - one said 4 would make her stand out and the other said 3 was plenty and only allowed 4 if the 4th was FM (which I know you are doing). I suggested she contact all the potential unis for her course and ask them (there weren't that many) - those that responded all said that 3 with top grades was better. Cambridge specifically said 3 was all she needed and no allowance for lower grades would be made if she chose to do 4 unnecessarily. She chose the school that only did 3 and is now at Cambridge.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
No Uni wants more than 3 subjects. AAA will always look better than BBBB.
Four does not 'make you stand out' - Unis just want to see if you meet the entry requirements, they make no assumptions about anyone doing any more than that. This is a myth perpetuated by pushy schools and/or teachers who want you to do 'their' subject.
(And if you are not really enjoying Politics then it would make sense to drop it before you go into Year 13 and the pressure really builds.)
MelonCrazy
Rep:
?
(Original post by JayJayJay1212)
what are grade on your a level or even better predicted grades.
I've been predicated A*/A for each and have got As and above in all my tests so far for each.

Thank you to everyone for their advice thus far.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I don't know if this is still the case but when I was applying to uni a few years ago, some unis did not consider further maths as a separate A Level (i.e. they counted math and further maths as 1 A Level). May be worth making sure this is not the case before you drop your 4th subject.
xxkeyllx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hey I really would not recommend you to drop politics if you are aiming for Cambridge and LSE. Yes, four A-Levels are not necessary but some top universities may see Maths and Further Maths as one A Level. This means that if you drop politics, you would only have "two" A-levels. Also, top universities (LSE specifically) love to see different combinations of A-Levels. Dropping politics would make you less competitive when you are applying to universities next year. And as you said, you have been predicted at least an A in politics, so why don't you continue to study?
MelonCrazy
Rep:
?
And hence I have a massive dilemna
Mastermind_3
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 minutes ago
(Original post by xxkeyllx)
Hey I really would not recommend you to drop politics if you are aiming for Cambridge and LSE. Yes, four A-Levels are not necessary but some top universities may see Maths and Further Maths as one A Level. This means that if you drop politics, you would only have "two" A-levels. Also, top universities (LSE specifically) love to see different combinations of A-Levels. Dropping politics would make you less competitive when you are applying to universities next year. And as you said, you have been predicted at least an A in politics, so why don't you continue to study?
He has a point, I would suggest four a levels if u don’t want to drop FM.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (68)
18.99%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.25%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.75%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.84%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.07%
Taster lectures or seminars (77)
21.51%
Speak to current students studying my course (81)
22.63%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (16)
4.47%
Fun online activities or experiences (13)
3.63%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.23%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.68%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
1.96%

Watched Threads