which study method is better a level

Watch
user1357
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
revising for internal a level exams, but i am still a bit behind on a lot of content (maths, further maths and physics)
usually i write out notes to help understand and then do past papers, or would doing it the other way round be better?? or just papers??
papers overwhelm me a bit because sometimes i don't even know how to start a question

Marvel_fan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Normally I like to attempt a paper. I'll have a syllabus with me and any topics I can answer easily/ remember the content for, I cross off. Any which I am absolutely stuck on I circle, and the rest I leave plain. I then go through and revise the ones I've circled thoroughly and briefly go over the other topics, ignoring the ones I'm already confident on. I normally do this when I'm tight on time but thought I'd share incase it helps you.
Josiesf
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by user1357)
revising for internal a level exams, but i am still a bit behind on a lot of content (maths, further maths and physics)
usually i write out notes to help understand and then do past papers, or would doing it the other way round be better?? or just papers??
papers overwhelm me a bit because sometimes i don't even know how to start a question
I'd say the note writing is probably a waste of time. Especially for science subjects it's unlikely to enhance your understanding and ability to approach questions anywhere near as well as a past paper would. Only write out notes if you completely don't have any on the topic, otherwise just do questions and reference what you already have for help. If you find yourself getting stuck on questions there are no rules against checking marking instructions or just getting someone else to send you their solution. The more you try and the more you review and go through how the question should be approached the easier it gets. Also making some sort of table or spreadsheet for marking out how you feel on each topic (I enjoy traffic lighting them) feels slightly juvenile but will be so helpful in seeing your next steps and progress. If you love spreadsheets as much as I do you can even mark which individual topics you have revised when. Also when you're super behind on content there's always some random bloke on YouTube with the most beautifully said way of understanding it even if you have to search a little. Hope some of this was helpful
user1357
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by Josiesf)
I'd say the note writing is probably a waste of time. Especially for science subjects it's unlikely to enhance your understanding and ability to approach questions anywhere near as well as a past paper would. Only write out notes if you completely don't have any on the topic, otherwise just do questions and reference what you already have for help. If you find yourself getting stuck on questions there are no rules against checking marking instructions or just getting someone else to send you their solution. The more you try and the more you review and go through how the question should be approached the easier it gets. Also making some sort of table or spreadsheet for marking out how you feel on each topic (I enjoy traffic lighting them) feels slightly juvenile but will be so helpful in seeing your next steps and progress. If you love spreadsheets as much as I do you can even mark which individual topics you have revised when. Also when you're super behind on content there's always some random bloke on YouTube with the most beautifully said way of understanding it even if you have to search a little. Hope some of this was helpful
thank you ! think i will start with papers and then make flashcards or notes depending on how much i know for each topic/question and yes i do make a lot of excel sheets,, probably too many
user1357
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by Marvel_fan)
Normally I like to attempt a paper. I'll have a syllabus with me and any topics I can answer easily/ remember the content for, I cross off. Any which I am absolutely stuck on I circle, and the rest I leave plain. I then go through and revise the ones I've circled thoroughly and briefly go over the other topics, ignoring the ones I'm already confident on. I normally do this when I'm tight on time but thought I'd share incase it helps you.
thank you! think i will do something similar
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (80)
42.78%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (32)
17.11%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (72)
38.5%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (3)
1.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed