What's with the British 'scarcity of resources' view on life??

Watch
PRomanov
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
If you're out in the nature there's plenty of stuff that can provide the basics - food, shelter, heating. On top of it, whom you are with and what you can do well give you all the joy there is.
Yet, scarcity scarcity scarcity - all the while chasing recurring free money guarantees (passive incomes, typically from the colonies rich with resources).
What is that - end-of-relationships fear? Or the 'ooops I took too much they might cut me off' concern?
Scarcity is ok to try for a while to sharpen up your abilities, but promoting it as the de facto state whilst it is simply not the case - is mismanagement.
hotpud
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PRomanov)
If you're out in the nature there's plenty of stuff that can provide the basics - food, shelter, heating. On top of it, whom you are with and what you can do well give you all the joy there is.
Yet, scarcity scarcity scarcity - all the while chasing recurring free money guarantees (passive incomes, typically from the colonies rich with resources).
What is that - end-of-relationships fear? Or the 'ooops I took too much they might cut me off' concern?
Scarcity is ok to try for a while to sharpen up your abilities, but promoting it as the de facto state whilst it is simply not the case - is mismanagement.
I don't really know what your point is. The UK is not even slightly self sufficient and hasn't been for several hundred years. If we were to cut all links to the outside world, people would die of hunger pretty quickly, to say nothing of everything else we depend on.
PRomanov
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by hotpud)
I don't really know what your point is. The UK is not even slightly self sufficient and hasn't been for several hundred years. If we were to cut all links to the outside world, people would die of hunger pretty quickly, to say nothing of everything else we depend on.
It's a mindset thing. There is no need to export the British reality everywhere when it doesn't hold true around the globe.
Not just that, but it is only in Britain that it is considered legitimate to endlessly profit off of anything. In the rest of the world, you must keep making an effort, not get to 'I have it all now I can just party and have a super life' - at the expense of someone else suffering.
Without that entitlement, there's no scarcity of resources, just how they are used (which you could call scarcity of motivation, lack of willingness to engage to help, not to engage to profit beyond any reason or measure)
Because, once anyone profits beyond any measure - and we seem to CELEBRATE that - ALL want to live that way, and strife/scarcity gets CREATED.
The moment you go out to the nature, there is always something - fish, grass for cows, trees, water, even snow/ice - datacenters can be cooled by ice and snow, CO2 results in coal and oil creation - there is no scarcity if the resources aren't monopplised by the few at the cost to many.
The prpving of who is 'smarter' should be an inventions/overall accomplishments thing, helping others included - not the 'balance sheet or GDP or money in the account' thing. That is far too shortsighted since it crates conflict.
Darwin confirmed teaming up/cooperating is the top evolutionary advantage.
Last edited by PRomanov; 1 week ago
Contested Claim
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm honestly not sure if you are advocating a pre-agrarian hunter-gather lifestyle or complaining about buy-to-let home owners.
hotpud
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by PRomanov)
It's a mindset thing. There is no need to export the British reality everywhere when it doesn't hold true around the globe.
Not just that, but it is only in Britain that it is considered legitimate to endlessly profit off of anything. In the rest of the world, you must keep making an effort, not get to 'I have it all now I can just party and have a super life' - at the expense of someone else suffering.
Without that entitlement, there's no scarcity of resources, just how they are used (which you could call scarcity of motivation, lack of willingness to engage to help, not to engage to profit beyond any reason or measure)
Because, once anyone profits beyond any measure - and we seem to CELEBRATE that - ALL want to live that way, and strife/scarcity gets CREATED.
The moment you go out to the nature, there is always something - fish, grass for cows, trees, water, even snow/ice - datacenters can be cooled by ice and snow, CO2 results in coal and oil creation - there is no scarcity if the resources aren't monopplised by the few at the cost to many.
The prpving of who is 'smarter' should be an inventions/overall accomplishments thing, helping others included - not the 'balance sheet or GDP or money in the account' thing. That is far too shortsighted since it crates conflict.
Darwin confirmed teaming up/cooperating is the top evolutionary advantage.
I think you need to travel and experience the world. I think you will be surprised.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (8)
3.72%
Uncertainty around my education (35)
16.28%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (23)
10.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (30)
13.95%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (9)
4.19%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (15)
6.98%
Loneliness (15)
6.98%
Financial worries (6)
2.79%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (13)
6.05%
Exposure to negative news/social media (11)
5.12%
Lack of real life entertainment (11)
5.12%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (18)
8.37%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (21)
9.77%

Watched Threads