Khfhgdd
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Has anyone done an access to higher education course and got an offer/ gone to university? If so could you let me know what access course you did and what course you’re doing/going to do and which uni you have an offer at or went to?
Sorry for so many question, I’m just wondering if it’s worth it x
therapeutics2021
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Khfhgdd)
Has anyone done an access to higher education course and got an offer/ gone to university? If so could you let me know what access course you did and what course you’re doing/going to do and which uni you have an offer at or went to?
Sorry for so many question, I’m just wondering if it’s worth it x
Hi, currently on an Access to HE health sciences diploma course. I'll be studying Therapeutic Radiography in September and I have offers from University of Liverpool (Russel group), Sheffield Hallam, University of Hertfordshire, AECC and awaiting St George's.

I would say from a science pov this course has developed my knowledge of anatomy/physiology and I understand more about chemistry. There are 45 graded credits and 15 ungraded credits to get through the course. The type of course I'm going on has similar assesments to what I've experience on the course, so the universities did favour a student like myself.

I would certainly say it is worth it, but I will warn you it can be quite a heavy workload if you take the full time option. It is worth it too as you are able to apply to some good universities through this course.

My advice to you would be to get in touch with local colleges ASAP, the course I'm on had a waiting list in September as demand for access courses seems to have increased (whether that's related to the pandemic and unemployment rates increasing who knows). Additionally try to have a vague idea of the university course you would like to apply to.

There are people on my course who will be doing their first degrees and people like myself who are wanting to complete a second degree. It's a good course to open up opportunities if you don't have the traditional qualifications for university.

Hope this helps!
Khfhgdd
Rep:
?
(Original post by therapeutics2021)
Hi, currently on an Access to HE health sciences diploma course. I'll be studying Therapeutic Radiography in September and I have offers from University of Liverpool (Russel group), Sheffield Hallam, University of Hertfordshire, AECC and awaiting St George's.

I would say from a science pov this course has developed my knowledge of anatomy/physiology and I understand more about chemistry. There are 45 graded credits and 15 ungraded credits to get through the course. The type of course I'm going on has similar assesments to what I've experience on the course, so the universities did favour a student like myself.

I would certainly say it is worth it, but I will warn you it can be quite a heavy workload if you take the full time option. It is worth it too as you are able to apply to some good universities through this course.

My advice to you would be to get in touch with local colleges ASAP, the course I'm on had a waiting list in September as demand for access courses seems to have increased (whether that's related to the pandemic and unemployment rates increasing who knows). Additionally try to have a vague idea of the university course you would like to apply to.

There are people on my course who will be doing their first degrees and people like myself who are wanting to complete a second degree. It's a good course to open up opportunities if you don't have the traditional qualifications for university.

Hope this helps!
Thankyou this is so helpful! Yes I’m not bothered by the workload, I’m willing to put everything into it! The only thing that worries me is that ‘good’ universities may not value it as a qualification, but from what you’ve said that’s not true!!
chezanneb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey,
I did HE Access to Paramedicine as i didn’t have the traditional A levels entry requirements for my chosen course. I completed it in November and I applied for Paramedic science at Oxford Brookes, Gloucester and UWE and got offers for all 3!
I had to put the work in to get the grades, I needed a minimum of 30 distinctions to get the correct tariff points for UWE, but it was worth it. It’s probably helpful to contact the uni and ask which grades you need for the course you’re thinking of.
I did my Access course completely online and didn’t attend a college, this way i was able to complete it at my own pace.
Hope that helps a bit
therapeutics2021
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thankyou this is so helpful! Yes I’m not bothered by the workload, I’m willing to put everything into it! The only thing that worries me is that ‘good’ universities may not value it as a qualification, but from what you’ve said that’s not true!!
I would recommend you definitely look into the universities and courses to double check! You can even email admissions to any universities you're interested in and ask their opinions (this can also work in your favour when you apply, as well as attending online open days)

I'm assuming you're year 13, if I was in your position again I would definitely do the access course, as it's free for you at that age and it gives you a little more time to think.

University it such an important decision and it doesn't matter what age you end up going to, what matters is you make the right choice!

Best of luck!
Fuzzi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Just some info if you are currently in year 13

Most colleges only accept those who have been out of full time education for at least 1 year, and usually prioritise those over 21 without A Levels. I heard this is even more the case now as Access courses are becoming extremely popular and even more so due to covid.

Most high ranking Unis/competitive courses also seem to require the Access course to be taken at least 2 years after A Levels, this is because a lot of people are starting to use Access courses to enter university after failing/not doing well on A Levels, instead of just retaking the A Level exams. Access courses were originally designed for people either wanting to change career (current A Levels/degree doesn't match desired career), or people who left school without any qualifications/A Levels.

Medicine/Dentistry courses are even more strict, and most seem to require the Access course to be taken at least 10 years after A Levels were taken

I highly recommending checking uni entry requirements (which are sometimes not usually very clear when it comes to Access courses) and contacting the admissions department to confirm that you, previous qualifications, and the Access course meet the entry requirements

Edit:

Check this TSR post about gap length between A Levels and Access courses: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6570046
Last edited by Fuzzi; 5 months ago
Khfhgdd
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fuzzi)
Just some info if you are currently in year 13

Most colleges only accept those who have been out of full time education for at least 1 year, and usually prioritise those over 21 without A Levels. I heard this is even more the case now as Access courses are becoming extremely popular and even more so due to covid.

Most high ranking Unis/competitive courses also seem to require the Access course to be taken at least 2 years after A Levels, this is because a lot of people are starting to use Access courses to enter university after failing/not doing well on A Levels, instead of just retaking the A Level exams. Access courses were originally designed for people either wanting to change career (current A Levels/degree doesn't match desired career), or people who left school without any qualifications/A Levels.

Medicine/Dentistry courses are even more strict, and most seem to require the Access course to be taken at least 10 years after A Levels were taken

I highly recommending checking uni entry requirements (which are sometimes not usually very clear when it comes to Access courses) and contacting the admissions department to confirm that you, previous qualifications, and the Access course meet the entry requirements

Edit:

Check this TSR post about gap length between A Levels and Access courses: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6570046
No I’m not year 13, I don’t know why that assumption has been made haha! I’m 22 x thankyou for your advice though it’s very helpful!
Fuzzi
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
No I’m not year 13, I don’t know why that assumption has been made haha! I’m 22 x thankyou for your advice though it’s very helpful!
😂 O sorry hahah
Euapp
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I didn't do one but know for a fact that a number of veterinary medicine candidates have access courses and have been accepted just about everywhere.
therapeutics2021
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Oops my mistake too, my apologies haha 🙈
therapeutics2021
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Euapp)
I didn't do one but know for a fact that a number of veterinary medicine candidates have access courses and have been accepted just about everywhere.
Similarly on my course, there are two offer holders for dentistry and one medicine offer holder, so it's certainly a qualification that's taken seriously! (Ofc they had to get reasonable UCAT scores too)

I think it's just another way to demonstrate to universities you are a capable and motivated student personally 🙂
Last edited by therapeutics2021; 5 months ago
joanneg76
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I'm currently doing access to science and I have 4 offers for nutrition science, including Kings college London, so it is accepted by 'good' universities. Always best to check for your specific course though.
Khfhgdd
Rep:
?
(Original post by joanneg76)
I'm currently doing access to science and I have 4 offers for nutrition science, including Kings college London, so it is accepted by 'good' universities. Always best to check for your specific course though.
Haha of course that is an amazing uni!! Well done!! And thankyou
Lileviepop
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I’m doing an access course and I’m going to Durham uni in September ‘good’ unis definitely accept access diplomas.
Khfhgdd
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lileviepop)
I’m doing an access course and I’m going to Durham uni in September ‘good’ unis definitely accept access diplomas.
That’s amazing congrats!! May I ask what course? X
Auntie_Autie2019
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi are you still considering an Access course?
Last edited by Auntie_Autie2019; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads