How should i deal with a manager who ignores me?

Watch
rehena12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
I recently got a job 3 weeks ago at where I work in a small business in retail, the manager however really irritates me

first, when we first met I asked for 2 days to work and he gave me one day Saturday when other people work 2-4 days but I shrugged it off. There a lot of new employees as they were hiring so it's not like they've given it to people who have worked there the longest etc.

i got called in on Monday I did my trial on Thursday and I was supposed to immediately start on a sat my one and only day, I emailed if should come in to confirm I was ignored until the next tuesday he answered and i replied within 10 minutes saying that's fine can if i work extra days in easter I've been ignored since 23 march till now the 6th of april and he didn't even reply to my question in the email

I started working everything was fine the sat before easter holiday I told him if I could collect some more days because I'm really trying to save before uni he said that's fine he will contact me and look on the rota

people who have been working around the same time have been working 5 days in the row when I asked for 3 days in the easter holiday first week and 4 in the second week

he didn't contact me until a Tuesday and asked if I can come in on Wednesday I said no because I have an easter revision session but I nicely informed him that I could work Friday this week and informed him the days I could work next week have been ignored since I emailed him 2 days and then today at 11am and I've still been ignored

he's in 9-7pm so IDK why I being ignored

and Friday is tomorrow and i was supposed to work 3 days I'm now only going to work my 1 shift now

he needs more people to come in but for some reason ignores me, I know this because people from my school work there and he's told them he even made them write them days they can work but obviously, I wasn't there that Sunday because I only work one day.

am i being taken for a mug?
I'm 17 get paid 6.5 an hour and as I'm part-time can only work full day he employs mostly students I just wanted an extra day however sadly i have earned any more than a usual school week this first week of easter

I'm getting annoyed because this money I'm trying to save up is to go to university and I'm under my target because he keeps ignoring me

I know he isn't terribly busy because all he does is gossip behind us when we are on tills and stands there

he responds to emails on his phone and his phone is always in his pocket too

in the summer I was planning to work full time as I have a 4 month holiday as I finish on the 21st of may but now I'm getting worried about how I'm being treated and if I should look for another job whilst here because i need to save for uni or i won't be able to go to my desired uni
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I’m not entirely sure I understand your first point about emailing to confirm whether you should come in for your first shift.

Shift work is tricky, like it or not not everyone can and will be given shifts just because they want them.
Also, rightly or wrongly, if someone is asked to cover a shift and they say no then the next time there is a shift available then someone who said yes last time will be asked first.

You’re not being “taken for a mug” - you are being paid to work.

What hours are you contracted for?
rehena12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
I’m not entirely sure I understand your first point about emailing to confirm whether you should come in for your first shift.

Shift work is tricky, like it or not not everyone can and will be given shifts just because they want them.
Also, rightly or wrongly, if someone is asked to cover a shift and they say no then the next time there is a shift available then someone who said yes last time will be asked first.

You’re not being “taken for a mug” - you are being paid to work.

What hours are you contracted for?
as its part-time you're only allwoed to work full days which is 9hrs
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
A good rule of success at work is to get on with your boss even if they irritate the hell out of you. If you find you can’t do this then usually it’s best to find something where you can. I would try speaking to him next time you are in or even give a call to agree clearly what you both want from the employment.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by rehena12)
I recently got a job 3 weeks ago at where I work in a small business in retail, the manager however really irritates me

first, when we first met I asked for 2 days to work and he gave me one day Saturday when other people work 2-4 days but I shrugged it off. There a lot of new employees as they were hiring so it's not like they've given it to people who have worked there the longest etc.

i got called in on Monday I did my trial on Thursday and I was supposed to immediately start on a sat my one and only day, I emailed if should come in to confirm I was ignored until the next tuesday he answered and i replied within 10 minutes saying that's fine can if i work extra days in easter I've been ignored since 23 march till now the 6th of april and he didn't even reply to my question in the email

I started working everything was fine the sat before easter holiday I told him if I could collect some more days because I'm really trying to save before uni he said that's fine he will contact me and look on the rota

people who have been working around the same time have been working 5 days in the row when I asked for 3 days in the easter holiday first week and 4 in the second week

he didn't contact me until a Tuesday and asked if I can come in on Wednesday I said no because I have an easter revision session but I nicely informed him that I could work Friday this week and informed him the days I could work next week have been ignored since I emailed him 2 days and then today at 11am and I've still been ignored

he's in 9-7pm so IDK why I being ignored

and Friday is tomorrow and i was supposed to work 3 days I'm now only going to work my 1 shift now

he needs more people to come in but for some reason ignores me, I know this because people from my school work there and he's told them he even made them write them days they can work but obviously, I wasn't there that Sunday because I only work one day.

am i being taken for a mug?
I'm 17 get paid 6.5 an hour and as I'm part-time can only work full day he employs mostly students I just wanted an extra day however sadly i have earned any more than a usual school week this first week of easter

I'm getting annoyed because this money I'm trying to save up is to go to university and I'm under my target because he keeps ignoring me

I know he isn't terribly busy because all he does is gossip behind us when we are on tills and stands there

he responds to emails on his phone and his phone is always in his pocket too

in the summer I was planning to work full time as I have a 4 month holiday as I finish on the 21st of may but now I'm getting worried about how I'm being treated and if I should look for another job whilst here because i need to save for uni or i won't be able to go to my desired uni
Try speaking to you boss in person rather than just emailing. See if you get any more success that way.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (66)
19.08%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.74%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.91%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.87%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.18%
Taster lectures or seminars (72)
20.81%
Speak to current students studying my course (80)
23.12%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
3.76%
Fun online activities or experiences (13)
3.76%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.31%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.73%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.73%

Watched Threads