qwert7890
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I'm thinking of buying a Windows Laptop, 2-in-1 convertible and I'd love for a few thoughts on this:

- 8gb RAM (soldered so not upgradable)
- 512gb SSD
- AMD Ryzen 5 4500U process (hexacore)
- brightness is maxes out at only 250 nits (would I be able to work outdoors?)
- active stylus with palm rejection
- claims about 12 hours of battery life, can be charged via c-type charger
- weighs 1.5kg

any thoughts on how fast this laptop might be? I can also buy it in i5 11th gen. The 11th gen i7 (with 16gb ram) comes for about 200 extra quid which I'm not sure would be worth it?

I mainly need to use the laptop for uni, so like browsing + presentations, taking notes (using stylus ofc), a little light gaming, netflix... pretty much it (might run Photoshop from time to time).

As someone not very familiar with specs, a couple of questions:
- how fast would this be and wtf is cinebench marks?
- would the specs meet my requirments?
- is it too heavy? I checked macbook airs are at 1.3kg so 1.5 shouldn't be that bad yeah?
- would the brightness be a problem?
_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by qwert7890)
So I'm thinking of buying a Windows Laptop, 2-in-1 convertible and I'd love for a few thoughts on this:

- 512gb SSD
- weighs 1.5kg

any thoughts on how fast this laptop might be? I can also buy it in i5 11th gen. The 11th gen i7 (with 16gb ram) comes for about 200 extra quid which I'm not sure would be worth it?

I mainly need to use the laptop for uni, so like browsing + presentations, taking notes (using stylus ofc), a little light gaming, netflix... pretty much it (might run Photoshop from time to time).

- is it too heavy? I checked macbook airs are at 1.3kg so 1.5 shouldn't be that bad yeah?
I recently got a new laptop with similar specs. It was HP and I'm not sure which brand this is but anecdotadely I'd say don't rely too much on battery life claims. Mine said 8 hours but I don't think it usually hits that. An i5 laptop should be fine for your needs. I do a bit of video editing and have way too many tabs and apps open at once and the processor does fine (i5 11th gen).

My dad has an i7 with 16gb ram and it doesn't seem significantly better. It may come in handy for gaming but I'm pretty sure light gaming would be fine with i5 (please dont quote me on that)

Brightness: you do tend to get used to the brigthness in my experience, but if possible maybe go into a store and check out the laptop so you can see it. I'll try and see what the max nits of my laptop is - I can work outdoors fine.

I think 1.5kg is a decent weight, it isn't that bad too carry around and is certainly better than lugging around textbooks and folders etc. instead.

I've got 8gb ram and haven't come into any issues with it yet, although it is upgradeable - maybe it'd be worthwhile looking out for one that isn't soldered just in case?

I've heard that AMD is better than the intel equivalents and is better for gaming so it may be better to stick with that although I'm no expect - hence why I got the i5 when AMD was the same price :facepalm:
Assuming they are pretty comparable, booting up takes a bit of time say 30-60 seconds, opening up basic apps like setting photos, excel, word take a few seconds. Microsoft Teams takes at least 10 seconds as does Anki, although I think that may have something to do with connecting to online servers idk.

Edit: I've never had a touch screen laptop before myself, but one of my friends has one and they quite like it - and use it to answer revision questions n stuff, that being said there are things like the Wacom tablet for £30 that essentially give any laptop touch screen capabilities

Hope this is somewhat useful and not just me rambling
Last edited by _Mia101; 1 week ago
qwert7890
Rep:
?
(Original post by _Mia101)
I recently got a new laptop with similar specs. It was HP and I'm not sure which brand this is but anecdotadely I'd say don't rely too much on battery life claims. Mine said 8 hours but I don't think it usually hits that. An i5 laptop should be fine for your needs. I do a bit of video editing and have way too many tabs and apps open at once and the processor does fine (i5 11th gen).

My dad has an i7 with 16gb ram and it doesn't seem significantly better. It may come in handy for gaming but I'm pretty sure light gaming would be fine with i5 (please dont quote me on that)

Brightness: you do tend to get used to the brigthness in my experience, but if possible maybe go into a store and check out the laptop so you can see it. I'll try and see what the max nits of my laptop is - I can work outdoors fine.

I think 1.5kg is a decent weight, it isn't that bad too carry around and is certainly better than lugging around textbooks and folders etc. instead.

I've got 8gb ram and haven't come into any issues with it yet, although it is upgradeable - maybe it'd be worthwhile looking out for one that isn't soldered just in case?

I've heard that AMD is better than the intel equivalents and is better for gaming so it may be better to stick with that although I'm no expect - hence why I got the i5 when AMD was the same price :facepalm:
Assuming they are pretty comparable, booting up takes a bit of time say 30-60 seconds, opening up basic apps like setting photos, excel, word take a few seconds. Microsoft Teams takes at least 10 seconds as does Anki, although I think that may have something to do with connecting to online servers idk.

Hope this is somewhat useful and not just me rambling
Very useful indeed! Yes, AMD does seem to do better than the intel equivalents. Do you have a 2-in-1 too? Which one did you buy?
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Very fast for general use and perfectly good for photoshop, gaming is the question mark.

Cinebench is a program used for establishing the speed of a computer's hardware relative to other computers, this is known as benchmarking.

Yes to everything except the gaming, but that depends on what games you want to play?

You're comparing to one of the lightest laptops on the market, a couple of hundred extra grams does not even begin to approach the definition of "heavy" in a consumer laptop.

would the brightness be a problem?
Only when the sun is shining directly onto the screen, otherwise it should be fine.
Last edited by Gofre; 1 week ago
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

- 512gb SSD
- weighs 1.5kg

absolutely fine for everything against heavy gaming
qwert7890
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
Very fast for general use and perfectly good for photoshop, gaming is the question mark.

Cinebench is a program used for establishing the speed of a computer's hardware relative to other computers, this is known as benchmarking.

Yes to everything except the gaming, but that depends on what games you want to play?

You're comparing to one of the lightest laptops on the market, a couple of hundred extra grams does not even begin to approach the definition of "heavy" in a consumer laptop.

Only when the sun is shining directly onto the screen, otherwise it should be fine.
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
absolutely fine for everything against heavy gaming
Thanks for your input guys - definitely confirms my choice
I meant stuff like Minecraft (would that be considered light?).

anyway I’m not sure if I’ll even do hardcore gaming, just explore some new games maybe (CS Go I’ve heard is nice?)
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks for your input guys - definitely confirms my choice
I meant stuff like Minecraft (would that be considered light?).

anyway I’m not sure if I’ll even do hardcore gaming, just explore some new games maybe (CS Go I’ve heard is nice?)
Minecraft and CS:GO will both comfortably run on a moderately powerful toaster, they will be fine on this laptop. New games may struggle, the Vega graphics in your processor hold up very well with indie/esport titles and older AAA titles at 720p, but performance drops off pretty quickly once you get to demanding games from the last three or four years, requiring low settings to run well or simply not reaching playable frame rates at all. You can get an idea of what you can or cannot play at the below link.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ra....453149.0.html
qwert7890
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
Minecraft and CS:GO will both comfortably run on a moderately powerful toaster, they will be fine on this laptop. New games may struggle, the Vega graphics in your processor hold up very well with indie/esport titles and older AAA titles at 720p, but performance drops off pretty quickly once you get to demanding games from the last three or four years, requiring low settings to run well or simply not reaching playable frame rates at all. You can get an idea of what you can or cannot play at the below link.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ra....453149.0.html
cool, thanks so much once again!
reallyaks
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm not gonna comment on the specs since I'm no expert, but if you're getting a windows, make sure to focus on the brand rather than the specs, or give them equal priority. You could probably get killer specs from a company like Dell but their OS, Customer Care, warranty, quality of device etc would probably be not the best. I strongly recommend the Microsoft Surface series or the Lenovos, but Surface trumps all else.
qwert7890
Rep:
?
(Original post by reallyaks)
I'm not gonna comment on the specs since I'm no expert, but if you're getting a windows, make sure to focus on the brand rather than the specs, or give them equal priority. You could probably get killer specs from a company like Dell but their OS, Customer Care, warranty, quality of device etc would probably be not the best. I strongly recommend the Microsoft Surface series or the Lenovos, but Surface trumps all else.
The one I’m describing is actually the Lenovo. I could go for a surface as well but the pro x or book is well out of my desired budget, so I’d rather just stick to this Lenovo one. They’re offering me accidental protection, on-site warranty, and 24/7 premium care for about a year, and I think the warranty can be extended for 2 more years so I’ll definitely go for that.

Thanks so much!
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The one I’m describing is actually the Lenovo. I could go for a surface as well but the pro x or book is well out of my desired budget, so I’d rather just stick to this Lenovo one. They’re offering me accidental protection, on-site warranty, and 24/7 premium care for about a year, and I think the warranty can be extended for 2 more years so I’ll definitely go for that.

Thanks so much!
If those two years of extra warranty are a paid extra, definitely plug the laptop model number into a few tech insurers before you buy to check the prices. It varies a lot by model and brand, but in my experience third party insurance is cheaper per year than manufacturer extended warranty at least 50% of the time while offering superior coverage.
qwert7890
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
If those two years of extra warranty are a paid extra, definitely plug the laptop model number into a few tech insurers before you buy to check the prices. It varies a lot by model and brand, but in my experience third party insurance is cheaper per year than manufacturer extended warranty at least 50% of the time while offering superior coverage.
Oh I did not know that... yes, the additional two years are a paid extra. I might just go for tech insurers then. Once again THANK YOU SO MUCH!! haha can't stress it enough
_Mia101
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Very useful indeed! Yes, AMD does seem to do better than the intel equivalents. Do you have a 2-in-1 too? Which one did you buy?
I don't have a 2 in 1 :nah:. I've got a hp pavillion. It is pretty good but the fan can be a bit noisy, gotten it replaced too (the fan), but it isn't much better so idk :dontknow:
(Original post by Gofre)
on that note - can you get third part insurance after you've bought a laptop? :cry2:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (157)
4.95%
Uncertainty around my education (465)
14.65%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (353)
11.12%
Lack of purpose or motivation (442)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (150)
4.73%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (190)
5.99%
Loneliness (275)
8.66%
Financial worries (114)
3.59%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (127)
4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (145)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (175)
5.51%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (282)
8.88%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (299)
9.42%

Watched Threads