Lush284
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
So I’m kinda stuck between going to Aston or Cardiff to do my foundation year for optometry.
On one hand, Cardiff does a specific to optometry foundation year which Aston doesn’t (it’s more broad and general) but Aston’s location is perfect for me because it means I don’t have to move out and can easily get part time work as an optical assistant if I stay. But Cardiff is a Russel Group uni which is really good. Also many people from my sixthform are going to Aston which I kinda don’t want ..

So essentially the course in Cardiff is more appealing to me but if I go Aston, I’ll be more likely to get work experience/part time job which is also crucial.

Help me decide please!! Also if anyone has done a foundation year in either uni lmk how it was I’m very curious!! Thank you
Arabian_QueenK
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hi, I am no expert in what I am about to say but here is my opinion. Do not thinking about the university if it is a Russel or not in fact I got a Russel university and declined it due to its lack of support on mental health wellbeing I would rather go to a university that will not support if I ever was to be in that sort of position (I'm in a healthy mind set now but who knows what the future predicts) .

However go for something that you can actually gain experience from and you can talk about once you graduate to make you stand out. AT the end of the day we all went to University and we all had the knowledge but are we actually able to put this in place. You can still go university and make new friends without friends from sixth form being in your life. Cardiff University sounds great also but go for what makes you feel comfortable, go for something that will make you enjoy to waking to going to. Do not got to a university because your friends are? Do not go to a university because it is a Russel or non-russel? because at the end of the day we are all paying the same amount for the certificate for whatever it is. Do not make a final decision based on its location.

A few tips on what you can do:
search the university and see which provide better support
Talk to students from the university on unibuddy
Here is the link for Aston: https://www2.aston.ac.uk/campaigns/unibuddy
Here is the Link for Cardiff: https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/chat-to-our-students
Final TIP FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS and what you see will make you happy

I wish you the best of luck!! If you need anything you could always drop me a message? Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (68)
19.1%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.33%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.78%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.84%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.09%
Taster lectures or seminars (76)
21.35%
Speak to current students studying my course (81)
22.75%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (15)
4.21%
Fun online activities or experiences (13)
3.65%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.25%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
1.97%

Watched Threads