how many hours did it take you to learn to drive?

Watch
Igotbbcalevel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I need to know what is an average number

is 40 hours enough

4 hours a week so 10 weeks

3 months?

is this ok

need to pass by September for my job
Debs25
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
40 hrs should easily be enough. The main issue will be getting a test date before September. It was in the Telegraph today that there is a huge backlog of a million people needing to take tests. The backlog is worse in some areas more than others.
Teddy650123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I did a week crash course so like 30 hours I believe I had total followed by my test which I passed first time, really think a crash course is way better like my brother did 42 hours all spread out for months and months and he forgot most stuff before next lesson but I suppose it depends on your circumstances.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Teddy650123)
I did a week crash course so like 30 hours I believe I had total followed by my test which I passed first time, really think a crash course is way better like my brother did 42 hours all spread out for months and months and he forgot most stuff before next lesson but I suppose it depends on your circumstances.
I think a lot of people would dispute that it's 'way better' and you'd expect a lot more customers if it was. I've seen stats before where after the first 2-3 days, many learners shut down and find it hard to take in new information quickly, which is a right bummer if your paying £200 odd per day. Likewise if you're even mildly ill or off your game that week you've likely wasted £1000+, had a near miss on day 1 that's rattled your confidence?.. well there's no time to process it, as it's another £200 day tomorrow...

IME I didn't forgot things between lessons, not for more than 1 minute anyway, and the gaps between lessons gave me space to unpack what i had learned, review it, or think what I would do differently next lesson.
virgil1
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
I think a lot of people would dispute that it's 'way better' and you'd expect a lot more customers if it was. I've seen stats before where after the first 2-3 days, many learners shut down and find it hard to take in new information quickly, which is a right bummer if your paying £200 odd per day. Likewise if you're even mildly ill or off your game that week you've likely wasted £1000+, had a near miss on day 1 that's rattled your confidence?.. well there's no time to process it, as it's another £200 day tomorrow...

IME I didn't forgot things between lessons, not for more than 1 minute anyway, and the gaps between lessons gave me space to unpack what i had learned, review it, or think what I would do differently next lesson.
I have to agree. Obviously not a statistically valid sample but my ex flatmate did a “crash course” and really struggled. She did manage to pass but ended up getting refresher lessons after as she just didn’t have a “depth of experience”. Whether that would have happened had she done 2 hrs a week etc I don’t think so but who knows.

Personally I had some shocking lessons at the beginning (not my instructors fault - 100% me) and I think that would have set me up for failure had I continued over the space of a week or whatever. Sometimes it’s just best to let things lay in your brain for a while - issues are never as bad once a bit of time has passed etc.

However each to their own and these crash courses seem like a really good idea if you’re on a tight timetable for needing a license. Although I’d suggest pass plus or some such after once the pressure is off (you have your license) to ensure you’re not missing anything helpful.

To answer the OPs question - I did about 20x 2hr lessons although about 4 of those were snow and ice driving my instructor took the advantage of the conditions at the time (he did ask if I wanted to postpone but suggested getting experience on snow and ice would be worth while - something I’ve been grateful for on a number of occasions).
Teddy650123
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Obviously I’m not a driving instructor and just talking from my personal experience and my brothers and also did say it comes down to each person’s circumstances like some people can’t handle as much as others and at one point it was an awful lot at once for me to take in but I’m so glad I did it as I did my lessons and passed all in same week and never had to worry again.

All just comes down to each individual but for me I wanted it over and done with and within a week passed and was driving about where as my brother was still doing lessons 3 months after but he’s not like me in the sense of he can’t handle as much stress and pressure so he chose the normal route of lessons spread out and in the end passed so that’s all that matters really.

Crash courses are quicker but more expensive and for most people do not work as students crack under the pressure and can’t take things in and like others pointed out there isn’t as much experience and some people need refresher lessons afterwards, not gonna lie after I passed I struggled with hills and clutch but instead of lessons I just went out for a day or two doing nothing but hill starts now I’m fine.

Choose the route better suited for you and as long as you pass that’s all that matters not how you got there.
Last edited by Teddy650123; 4 days ago
tylinf
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I did around 9 hours with an instructor and 5 or so with my dad - passed with 3 minors. 40 hours should be enough
Igotbbcalevel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by Teddy650123)
Obviously I’m not a driving instructor and just talking from my personal experience and my brothers and also did say it comes down to each person’s circumstances like some people can’t handle as much as others and at one point it was an awful lot at once for me to take in but I’m so glad I did it as I did my lessons and passed all in same week and never had to worry again.

All just comes down to each individual but for me I wanted it over and done with and within a week passed and was driving about where as my brother was still doing lessons 3 months after but he’s not like me in the sense of he can’t handle as much stress and pressure so he chose the normal route of lessons spread out and in the end passed so that’s all that matters really.

Crash courses are quicker but more expensive and for most people do not work as students crack under the pressure and can’t take things in and like others pointed out there isn’t as much experience and some people need refresher lessons afterwards, not gonna lie after I passed I struggled with hills and clutch but instead of lessons I just went out for a day or two doing nothing but hill starts now I’m fine.

Choose the route better suited for you and as long as you pass that’s all that matters not how you got there.
thanks for the info. appreciate it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (88)
42.72%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (33)
16.02%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (82)
39.81%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (3)
1.46%

Watched Threads