Companies that dont do code review, is it bad?

Watch
HucktheForde
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Is it bad for growth if i stay in a company that doesn do code review?
Strange5050
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The company I work for is fairly small, we don't do code review in the sense where we sit down and review a piece of code. Although we do use a third party application which scans are repos and flags deprecation, bugs, risks ect... I wouldn't say not doing code review is a bad thing.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HucktheForde)
Please tell me there's some form of version control.....
HucktheForde
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Please tell me there's some form of version control.....
yes , my current one , yes

but i have been in companies that dont use version control

i do not need to describe the chaos that goes on in there. left the company after just 7 months working
Last edited by HucktheForde; 1 month ago
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yes , my current one , yes

but i have been in companies that dont use version control

i do not need to describe the chaos that goes on in there. left the company after just 7 months working
Code reviews are essential imo. Any company not doing them isn't professional regardless of size.

I've lost count of the number of times that code review before merging has caught bugs before they landed in our codebase.
HucktheForde
Rep:
?
Code reviews are essential imo. Any company not doing them isn't professional regardless of size.

I've lost count of the number of times that code review before merging has caught bugs before they landed in our codebase.
oh bugs

we have QA and UAT for that

they dont look at the codebase tho
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
oh bugs

we have QA and UAT for that

they dont look at the codebase tho
Eek...

So essentially, there's absolutely no one checking for potentially malicious code being added to the codebase?
HucktheForde
Rep:
?
Eek...

So essentially, there's absolutely no one checking for potentially malicious code being added to the codebase?
no
why would anyone add malicious code to the codebase lol , its our company's software. we love our company.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
no
why would anyone add malicious code to the codebase lol , its our company's software. we love our company.
Wow that's a ****ing infosec nightmare......

Perhaps you could propose better structure to your team?
HucktheForde
Rep:
?

after the pandemic when i get to meet up with my team face to face

right now i have not even met some of the new colleagues yet. hell i have not even met the new team lead...
HucktheForde
Rep:
?

wait i am the front end . pretty sure there isnt much damage can be done since we are only in charge of the UI? we dont touch the database at all.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
wait i am the front end . pretty sure there isnt much damage can be done since we are only in charge of the UI? we dont touch the database at all.
Irrelevant.......
HucktheForde
Rep:
?
Irrelevant.......
dont worry too much we'll be fine

i'll ask this to my team lead in the next zoom meeting
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
dont worry too much we'll be fine

i'll ask this to my team lead in the next zoom meeting
Rightly so..

As you progress through your career you'll find out very soon that this sort of practice is only really found at amateur places.
Any professional company would have good code review and CI/CD processes in place.
stem_leader
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes.

Most learning on the technical front comes from code review.

The growth on listening to feedback, and giving it, and achieving consensus is even more valuable.

It often feels like finding bugs, spotting flaws, fixing security things... all valuable... are actually less valuable than the communication and learning.
lols

You could easily allow XSS and allow account takeover.
stem_leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Any professional company would have good code review and CI/CD processes in place.
Well... the code review at least.

CI/CD seems like a dream to many companies, and is almost the last thing startups put in place if their growth is running away from them. Damn nice when you have it though.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by stem_leader)
Well... the code review at least.

CI/CD seems like a dream to many companies, and is almost the last thing startups put in place if their growth is running away from them. Damn nice when you have it though.
There really isn't an excuse to not have pipelines these days...
stem_leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There really isn't an excuse to not have pipelines these days...
I agree in theory.

But in practise I've now seen it not happen until quite far into the company history.

It happens like this: A startup starts modest focuses on product, v. early on taps into exponential growth, new customers surge onto the platform, you aren't able to hire people fast enough (ever!), new and unique features are added (because customers demand it)... it happens. It's a great problem to have, you're not going to break the exponential growth to pay down all the debt, so it happens. A company I worked for until last year only got decent pipelines about a decase in ... some teams did have them, but the product range was so vast that a lot of tools do not work on them - how do you CI/CD a BIOS?! let alone router firmware!

If you have the benefit of being a slow moving company with web tech or produce applications with very little diversity of your deploy environments, then I wholeheartedly agree. The tools are free and ubiquitous and will work for what you do, so install them already.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by stem_leader)
I agree in theory.

But in practise I've now seen it not happen until quite far into the company history.

It happens like this: A startup starts modest focuses on product, v. early on taps into exponential growth, new customers surge onto the platform, you aren't able to hire people fast enough (ever!), new and unique features are added (because customers demand it)... it happens. It's a great problem to have, you're not going to break the exponential growth to pay down all the debt, so it happens. A company I worked for until last year only got decent pipelines about a decase in ... some teams did have them, but the product range was so vast that a lot of tools do not work on them - how do you CI/CD a BIOS?! let alone router firmware!

If you have the benefit of being a slow moving company with web tech or produce applications with very little diversity of your deploy environments, then I wholeheartedly agree. The tools are free and ubiquitous and will work for what you do, so install them already.
Sounds like an absolute nightmare environment! Props to you for staying sane :laugh:
HucktheForde
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Rightly so..

As you progress through your career you'll find out very soon that this sort of practice is only really found at amateur places.
i asked my tech lead, he said he will review our code on every deployment.

since my code has no major problem he never talk to me about it before.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (110)
27.64%
England (137)
34.42%
Belgium (30)
7.54%
Germany (41)
10.3%
Spain (9)
2.26%