Anyone going Sheffield this 2021? What accommodation are you choosing?

Watch
tobias.k
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
as above, I'm gonna be a in ranmoor/endcliffe but idk what apartment block to choose.

What are you choosing and why?
Keewi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm having the same trouble.
I think either Windgather or Wimberry at the moment as I'm just trying to match with like minded people.
selo22
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I wanted to stay in Endcliffe just because it’s bigger really and slightly closer to the uni. Booked last night into Froggatt as I read lots of reviews highlighting it as one of Encliffes best accommodations? The people I’m in with seem really nice as I’ve got a couple of their instagrams
University of Sheffield Students
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tobias.k)
as above, I'm gonna be a in ranmoor/endcliffe but idk what apartment block to choose.

Heyy, current student here!

I lived in Howden (C-D block) in Endcliffe in my first year and it was absolutely wonderful, it's super close to the Edge (and to the laundrette, which helps) and to the path leading to campus, too. The people I met there were super sociable, my flatmates and I made friends with the people in the flat opposite from us and we went on to live together in 2nd and 3rd year too. Also, the view from D block are quite nice, probably E block too. I'd highly recommend Howden, but the other options you lot mentioned are great as well!

If you've got any questions about anything, I'm happy to help!

– Andreea
3rd Year, Politics & Philosophy
Last edited by University of Sheffield Students; 1 month ago
DaisyJon
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I am staying in Sheffield 3, the Student Roost Accommodation. They are currently doing online & in-person tours where if you tell the person showing you around 'The Grand' you'll be entered into a competition when the prize is £1,000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hey!

I'm a current student at the Uni of Sheffield. In my first year I stayed in Kinder in Ranmoor. I really liked my accommodation it was in a really nice green area and super close to some shops and Endcliffe. I chose Ranmoor as I had heard it was a bit quieter than Endcliffe but still pretty social, as someone who likes to sleep and study this was important for me to have the balance. I didn't really have any problems with noise in Ranmoor and there was always some party/social going on in one of the blocks or in Endcliffe, all of which were easy to get too. The ensuite rooms in Ranmoor and Endcliffe are all pretty much identical across all the blocks too.

Hope this helps you out, if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask!

Alisha
2nd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
Shabas
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by University of Sheffield Students)
Hey!

I'm a current student at the Uni of Sheffield. In my first year I stayed in Kinder in Ranmoor. I really liked my accommodation it was in a really nice green area and super close to some shops and Endcliffe. I chose Ranmoor as I had heard it was a bit quieter than Endcliffe but still pretty social, as someone who likes to sleep and study this was important for me to have the balance. I didn't really have any problems with noise in Ranmoor and there was always some party/social going on in one of the blocks or in Endcliffe, all of which were easy to get too. The ensuite rooms in Ranmoor and Endcliffe are all pretty much identical across all the blocks too.

Alisha
2nd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
Is Endcliffe slightly closer to lectures than Ranmoor? I'm doing psychology and considering Millstone apartments
Last edited by Shabas; 1 month ago
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Shabas)
Is Endcliffe slightly closer to lectures than Ranmoor? I'm doing psychology and considering Millstone apartments
Hey! Endcliffe is slightly closer to town/uni compared to Ranmoor yes, but only by about a 5 minute walk or so.
Here's a link to a map of the uni accom apartments: (its done it as an attached file - not sure if that works on here haha!)

Emily
- 3rd Year, BMus
Attached files
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey! So there are two main types of University accommodation based on the location: City and Endcliffe/ Ranmoor. City accommodation is closer to the
main University buildings and the city centre while the latter is like a 20 minute walk from the main University square. Endcliffe and Ranmoor are
bigger student villages, has their own cafe, bar, gym etc and it's really pretty too since it's outside the city. But if you prefer convenience, then living in the City accommodation would be more suitable for you. I lived in City accommodation in my first year (Allen Court) and I absolutely loved it. I was really lucky that my flatmates were great and really helpful and friendly. We were 6 in my flat. I had an ensuite room, so I had my own room and my own bathroom but I shared the kitchen and the living space with my flatmates. It was really spacious and comfortable and we had lots of cupboards etc to keep our things around. Everyone has their own room here, it's just about having a shared bathroom or an ensuite room and the location and price.

The city accommodation also has Broad Lane Court which is mostly shared bathrooms I think and is a bit cheaper than Allen Court. The shared bathroom accommodations are cleaned by the University cleaners every fortnight - like the bathroom and the kitchen would be cleaned for you every 15 days. The EnSuite ones you would have to do it yourself. You can check out all the pictures and 360° videos on the University website of the
accommodation webpage. Also, being in University accommodation, there were loads of activities to be involved with (as part of Residence life) like free
ukelele sessions to free badminton/ squash sessions, potluck, trips etc.

-Sanchari
MEng Materials Science and Engineering, University of Sheffield
Happy chappy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Are most engineering students likely to be based in the City accommodation? Want to choose knowing I will have peers around me and City looks like the best option for The Diamond in terms of location. It’s so hard to decide what’s best. Will I still get a student vibe in City accommodation ?
_byr
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Happy chappy)
Are most engineering students likely to be based in the City accommodation? Want to choose knowing I will have peers around me and City looks like the best option for The Diamond in terms of location. It’s so hard to decide what’s best. Will I still get a student vibe in City accommodation ?
Hey! From my experience people are kind of just dotted around, I think on my course only about 3 people live in the same accommodation but it really doesn’t matter! I have a studio flat around that area if that would be any good?
Happy chappy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks for the reply. I’m gonna think about it a bit longer !
tobias.k
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
thanks for the responses folks!

i picked wimberry because of like minded people. if you wanna get in touch when @ uni, my instagram is @tobiasknz
University of Sheffield Alumni
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Happy chappy)
Hi Happy chappy, I'm an Engineering Grad and found people from my course dotted everywhere - I was in Ranmoor, most people I knew were in Endcliffe (maybe just because it's the biggest accommodation site though!), and quite a few people in Allen Court too (it is super close to the Diamond!)

So I'd say pick the Accommodation site that just appeals to you most - you'll find Engineers across all of the sites and will likely be going between the 3 to visit friends etc

- Ellie
MEng Chemical Engineering Graduate
Happy chappy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks Ellie that’s reassuring
happyant97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Is anyone thinking of private accommodation, like iQ or Student Roost?
_byr
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by happyant97)
Is anyone thinking of private accommodation, like iQ or Student Roost?
I have a studio flat available, or a en-suite room? At £159 a week for the studio, and £119 a week for the en-suite with a shared kitchen etc. It’s at student roost which I recommend!! Let me know if you want any info
SophieReed18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by University of Sheffield Students)
Hey!

Alisha
2nd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
Hi do you know how to connect with 2021 freshers that will be living at Endcliffe
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Reminder of TSR rules:

Off site social media group chats are not allowed anywhere on TSR, including via PMs.

This is for your protection as we don't know who makes them, and who joins them. Some of you are under 18.

Please do not ask, mention or advertise them in the forum; or attempt to take discussion off our forum.
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SophieReed18)
Hi do you know how to connect with 2021 freshers that will be living at Endcliffe
Hi!

Hope you are well. To connect with people living in Endcliffe I would recommend looking at Official Uni of Sheffield freshers facebook pages, there tends to be one made for different blocks and for each year. I cannot promote any specific ones on here due to the rules but just by having a look on facebook you should easily find some! Make sure to check they are verified groups and ones ran by the Uni students union for your own safety! I managed to meet my flatmates on these pages and we made a group chat to get to know each other before moving in.

Hope this helps you out a bit!

Alisha
2nd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
Last edited by University of Sheffield Students; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.67%
No (251)
72.33%

Watched Threads