Does anyone have animal/animal science dissertation ideas?

Watch
Robynmccarron123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, I am a 3rd year student studying a applied animal science degree. I am looking for ideas to prepare myself for my dissertation next year. I would like to cover something interesting that I can obtain a lot of information about.

Also if anyone has any tips on how to research, what type of stuff to research, how to plan out a dissertation and what type of stuff should be contained within that would be great, TIA
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'd suggest speaking with your personal tutor/prospective dissertation supervisor/director of studies about some of this, because what you're asking is in essence for someone to tell you what to write your dissertation on and how to write it! At least some of that stuff your uni should provide support in explaining what is expected and how to approach it (i.e. the how to write it, what to research, how to plan it and what should be in it etc, etc).

You should also check with them whether you need to propose your own dissertation topic or if you will be choosing from a list of set titles. Also it is likely that your supervisor will guide you towards a topic in their area of expertise (not always the case but not a bad thing if they do) which may constrain what kind of things you may do your dissertation on. In the meantime you can also see if you can find out more about past dissertation titles (usually departments retain past dissertations in a departmental library which you can look at).

If you haven't yet been assigned a supervisor, you can also look at the staff research pages for your department on the uni's website to see what they are currently working on, and if anything seems interesting in broad strokes. You could then contact the staff member doing research you think is interesting and ask if they supervise undergraduate dissertations and say you would like to work in X area they are researching and if they have any ideas for what you might be able to do (although usually it's best to have an idea already before approaching faculty to request supervision).
Robynmccarron123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I'd suggest speaking with your personal tutor/prospective dissertation supervisor/director of studies about some of this, because what you're asking is in essence for someone to tell you what to write your dissertation on and how to write it! At least some of that stuff your uni should provide support in explaining what is expected and how to approach it (i.e. the how to write it, what to research, how to plan it and what should be in it etc, etc).

You should also check with them whether you need to propose your own dissertation topic or if you will be choosing from a list of set titles. Also it is likely that your supervisor will guide you towards a topic in their area of expertise (not always the case but not a bad thing if they do) which may constrain what kind of things you may do your dissertation on. In the meantime you can also see if you can find out more about past dissertation titles (usually departments retain past dissertations in a departmental library which you can look at).

If you haven't yet been assigned a supervisor, you can also look at the staff research pages for your department on the uni's website to see what they are currently working on, and if anything seems interesting in broad strokes. You could then contact the staff member doing research you think is interesting and ask if they supervise undergraduate dissertations and say you would like to work in X area they are researching and if they have any ideas for what you might be able to do (although usually it's best to have an idea already before approaching faculty to request supervision).
I don’t do my dissertation until next year so I am just planning ahead. We are not given any help until then, we are only encouraged to choose a topic over the next few weeks in order to give us enough time to study and gather research over summer. We have been asked to choose our own topic and can be anything as long as it is related to animal science.

I have tried to research some dissertation headings, however they are rather advanced and on topics I haven’t heard about before. I was just looking for any good ideas on what I could cover and have a look into. I’d preferably like a topic that is very interesting whether that’s in relation to animal behaviours or enrichment sources to improve their welfare.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Robynmccarron123)
I don’t do my dissertation until next year so I am just planning ahead. We are not given any help until then, we are only encouraged to choose a topic over the next few weeks in order to give us enough time to study and gather research over summer. We have been asked to choose our own topic and can be anything as long as it is related to animal science.

I have tried to research some dissertation headings, however they are rather advanced and on topics I haven’t heard about before. I was just looking for any good ideas on what I could cover and have a look into. I’d preferably like a topic that is very interesting whether that’s in relation to animal behaviours or enrichment sources to improve their welfare.
I'd recommend starting with your department's research and faculty pages on their website, as usually they will have information about who does what research and you can read about the ongoing research in your department. Hopefully some of this will strike you as interesting and then you can begin doing some exploration of that area (e.g. background reading on any theoretical bases for it, reading any recent publications by those staff and others in that particular area, etc)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (20)
16.81%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (38)
31.93%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
10.08%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
10.92%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.2%
I think it's an unfair expectation (29)
24.37%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.68%

Watched Threads