Lea438
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
So I have wanted to be a vet my entire life but because of the qualification i did (Btec level 3 extended diploma in animal management) there are no unis that would take that without either A levels aswell or GCSEs at A which i dont have. I was thinking about taking a degree in bioveterinary science or zoology first so that i could go on to a graduate accelerated vet med course but now im having second thoughts because everyone is saying that it is going to be so expensive and I know it would but its just really putting me off the thought of becoming a vet even though its been my dream since i was 5. S I was wondering, if a veterinary nursing job is a good idea or not, I want to care for animals so badly and im starting to like the idea of being a vet nurse. I dont want to sound selfish but i do care a lot about salaries and i have searched up averages and things and its not very much. Another thing that has also put me of the idea of becoming a vet nurse is also the working hours. I just dont know what to do anymore!
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You may be eligible for Gateway to Vet Medicine course if you meet certain widening-participation criteria - these will be different at each Uni offering the course. This is a Year 0 'foundation' style course and successful completion leads to the full 5 year Vet course at the same Uni.

Look at the course at Bristol as one example - they do accept BTEC Extended Diploma : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...inary-science/
Lea438
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by McGinger)
You may be eligible for Gateway to Vet Medicine course if you meet certain widening-participation criteria - these will be different at each Uni offering the course. This is a Year 0 'foundation' style course and successful completion leads to the full 5 year Vet course at the same Uni.

Look at the course at Bristol as one example - they do accept BTEC Extended Diploma : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...inary-science/
Thank you, But i dont think i would be eligable for being widening participation background, I have looked through the link but i dont think i would be eligable
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Lea438)
Another thing that has also put me off the idea of becoming a vet nurse is also the working hours.
Then don't even think about being a Vet - and you probably also need to rethink being a Vet Nurse.
You dont do either for the hours, or the money.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.37%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.42%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.81%
I need help with my personal statement (79)
42.25%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (44)
23.53%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.6%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
8.02%

Watched Threads