The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Liverpool

Could someone tell me what their experience has been like at the University of Liverpool as a student?

- How did you find the teaching? Particularly in science courses like Chemistry
- How did you feel about accommodation?
- Was there enough support from the university and student services?
- How is the social life? What do students like to do for fun?
I am a second year at UoL studying computer science

How did you find the teaching? Particularly in science courses like Chemistry
The teaching is generally pretty awful. Most lecturers just go through slides droning on in a monotone way and do nothing apart from set questions from the textbook. A few (like literally 2) teachers do interactive quizzes and are passionate about their subject.

How did you feel about accommodation?
The uni accommodation is pretty expensive but it is worth it as the private accom is full of John Moores knuckleheads whose idea of a fun night is doing a gram of ketamine and listening to bassline, which may sound fun at first but it gets really boring really fast.
Uni accom is all very clean and well kept, you get regular cleaners so it makes the transition from home to uni very easy.

Was there enough support from the university and student services?
No, the uni mental health support is awful and you will be expected to do most things on your own.

How is the social life? What do students like to do for fun?

The social life is amazing (at least outside of pandemic conditions) in first year as there is so much going on in the city but gets even better after that as there are house parties and you have way more friends!
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
Original post by TheKING1986

The teaching is generally pretty awful. Most lecturers just go through slides droning on in a monotone way and do nothing apart from set questions from the textbook. A few (like literally 2) teachers do interactive quizzes and are passionate about their subject.

The uni accommodation is pretty expensive but it is worth it as the private accom is full of John Moores knuckleheads whose idea of a fun night is doing a gram of ketamine and listening to bassline, which may sound fun at first but it gets really boring really fast.
Uni accom is all very clean and well kept, you get regular cleaners so it makes the transition from home to uni very easy.

No, the uni mental health support is awful and you will be expected to do most things on your own.

The social life is amazing (at least outside of pandemic conditions) in first year as there is so much going on in the city but gets even better after that as there are house parties and you have way more friends!

Aww damn. The program looks amazing and the city! But if the lecturers aren't helpful/no support from student service then I really don't want to go there.
Original post by TheKING1986

where would you recommend applying for accomadation? want somewhere for first year where im gonna have fun but also just with normal people. have been recommended greenbank what are your thoughts
Crap, one of the worst.

Crap, one of the worst.

Crap, one of the worst.

Crap, one of the worst.
Original post by Anonymous
Could someone tell me what their experience has been like at the University of Liverpool as a student?

- How did you find the teaching? Particularly in science courses like Chemistry

I didn't do a science course, but I thought the teaching was great. My friends in the sciences had mixed experiences, but were mostly positive. However, I was mostly friends with engineers, and knew a few vets, too. I know that chemistry etc do a lot of employability events alongside their main modules.

Accommodation is of a very high standard, but arguably quite overpriced because it's all so new. I know that many people struggled to afford it. However, many students are eligible for an accommodation bursary now.

I had enough support, but that's just my personal experience, in a different department.

Social life was excellent. Liverpool is a party city, but there's plenty to do if you're not interested in that.
Original post by erijgoitrgote
where would you recommend applying for accomadation? want somewhere for first year where im gonna have fun but also just with normal people. have been recommended greenbank what are your thoughts

Greenbank's great. A lot of people overlook it because of the bus, but you're going to be getting a bus if you live on Smithdown in later years, so it's really not that bad. I lived there before it was refurbished and really enjoyed it. If you haven't applied yet, you're probably too late for Crown Place, so I wouldn't bother applying there.

Greenbank is the best for social life, but Melville grove has the best value for money.

Hi there,

I see you have already had lots of good advice off people in this thread, but I thought I would jump in and offer some of my thoughts. I think that Greenbank is a great choice, you will be living with only UoL first years, and although some people are put off by Greenbank being off-campus I actually think that is a great advantage.

It means that you have got lots of space to enjoy, as the halls are placed within its own park, with sports facilities and lots of people to relax (which has been really popular this year given COVID). It is only 15 bus into the University and I found that this a great opportunity to chat and meet new people, in addition there is loads of great amenities nearby (parks, bars, cafes etc.,) as Greenbank is next to one of the main student areas in Liverpool (Smithdown). So overall I think that Greenbank is best choice, however the on-campus halls are all really sociable with a nice mix of people, and being close to Uni and town has its perks too!

IF you have got any further questions then feel free to ask away below :smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending