myak
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm in year 13 and I'm studying Psych, Sociology and English Language and I get pretty average grades. I've applied for teaching at uni but I'm not particularly passionate about it. Also, I live in a strict household so I was only allowed to apply for unis that are local so I feel like I'm stuck and have to go to a uni I don't want to.

Do you know any other options for changing uni courses? I know about clearing but it would be helpful if anyone could provide more information about it.

I'm hoping to study something else now (but I'm not quite sure what at the moment) and then possibly go into teaching after. I also feel stuck. Growing up in a strict household meant I wasn't allowed to do a lot so I don't have any hobbies except from reading and listening to music and watching kdramas. All these three things are what have been helping me cope when I feel depressed as well.

If anyone has any knowledge on how to switch unis/courses or other options you think could be beneficial for me, please let me know. I'm also scared to tell my family that I regret my choices. Especially because I know they will just blame me and not help me, even though I felt pressured to pick what I did because of them. I know that it is my fault at the end of he day though.

If anyone is going through something similar, please reply and we can be in this together.
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can use extra but to do that you would have to decline all your offers. And I believe you can only apply to one course at a time (apply for one, if you’re rejected or decline then you can apply for another)

I’ve never used extra so hopefully someone can elaborate on the process
Last edited by WantBeAnonymous; 1 month ago
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by myak)
I'm in year 13 and I'm studying Psych, Sociology and English Language and I get pretty average grades. I've applied for teaching at uni but I'm not particularly passionate about it. Also, I live in a strict household so I was only allowed to apply for unis that are local so I feel like I'm stuck and have to go to a uni I don't want to.

Do you know any other options for changing uni courses? I know about clearing but it would be helpful if anyone could provide more information about it.

I'm hoping to study something else now (but I'm not quite sure what at the moment) and then possibly go into teaching after. I also feel stuck. Growing up in a strict household meant I wasn't allowed to do a lot so I don't have any hobbies except from reading and listening to music and watching kdramas. All these three things are what have been helping me cope when I feel depressed as well.

If anyone has any knowledge on how to switch unis/courses or other options you think could be beneficial for me, please let me know. I'm also scared to tell my family that I regret my choices. Especially because I know they will just blame me and not help me, even though I felt pressured to pick what I did because of them. I know that it is my fault at the end of he day though.

If anyone is going through something similar, please reply and we can be in this together.
To change courses via clearing, you'd need to decline your existing offers, and then you call around unis in clearing (some now also allow you to apply direct online) until you get an offer you're happy with.

It can be a stressful experience, but it's worth it if you get a place you'd be happier with.

Alternatively, you could try speaking to the unis you have offers from, and seeing if they would consider you for any other courses. There's also UCAS Extra.

However, I think the first thing to figure out is what you might actually like to study!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (6)
8.57%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
71.43%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (9)
12.86%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (4)
5.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.43%

Watched Threads