The Student Room Group

University of Portsmouth vs NTU

Hello!
I am a student from Latvia. I have never visited any of these universities. I have received an unconditional offer from both of them and I am going to study economics. Which uni is better valued by employers? Which should I choose and what are the advantages and disadvantages for both of them that I should take into account?
Thank you for the help in advance! :smile:
Original post by Elija Eleonora
Hello!
I am a student from Latvia. I have never visited any of these universities. I have received an unconditional offer from both of them and I am going to study economics. Which uni is better valued by employers? Which should I choose and what are the advantages and disadvantages for both of them that I should take into account?
Thank you for the help in advance! :smile:

Hi! @Elija Eleonora

I'm currently in my third year of studying criminology with criminal justice, so I can't comment about specifics about your course, but I can talk about the uni in general.

At Portsmouth, the academic support team are really helpful. There is a librarian and support staff for each subject and they too will help you with anything regarding your course and are really good if you are struggling with researching material. Lecturers are enthusiastic about what they teach to help you develop. Most are also currently doing research related to their topic area, which is really useful.

The student wellbeing service is helpful and offers a wide range of guidance. Alongside this is the union which offer lots of guidance and experiences in your university experience. There are loads of societies to choose from and they accept people from beginners too. The societies are all really friendly. it would be worth checking out their social media to have a see what they offer. Every Wednesday afternoon is when societies are given time to train, so your timetable does not interfere. Then in the evening is when socials go out for Purple Wednesday, where everyone dresses up etc.

The university is a city campus, however, everything is all very close. Halls are all no more than a 10-minute walk to university buildings.
Most clubs and bars are a 5-minute walk from university halls, so there is no worry in your first year about getting there and back. The train station, supermarkets, shops and Gunwharf Queys are all within a 10-minute walk from the halls. There are also lots of independent shops and bars etc along Albert Road in Southsea where a lot of students live after they have been in halls. The University bus runs every 20 minutes and is close to most student houses. A lot of shops, bars and clubs offer a student discount and I would say drinks and stuff are pretty cheap, especially on student night where drinks can be £1.

I would suggest looking at the university and union social media to get a feel for the university, as visiting during COVID isn't possible.

So far I have enjoyed my university experience at Portsmouth.
If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending