Stuck between 2 very different courses

Watch
AMT04
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi,I am currently trying to decide whether to do a primary education degree or an operating department practitioner degree. They are obviously very different from one another and I decided months ago that I wanted to be a primary school teacher and have told all my friends, family and teachers that it is what I want to study at university. I am even doing a teaching virtual work experience and a university programme to gain UCAS points for the education course and unfortunately they don't do a ODP degree. I just stumbled across the ODP degree and career as it was something I had never heard of before but it is something I am really interested in. I have wanted a job in a hospital for years but could never find a career that I was really interested in, until I heard about ODP. The issue is that we are starting to look at writing our personal statements in sixth form and I feel like I know need to make a choice. I also tend to change my mind about things very quickly and act on impulse which is what I don't want to do when choosing my uni degree. I haven't told my parents about being interested in becoming an ODP because I know they'll judge me for changing my mind and will say I've already applied to a university scheme and work experience for teaching.I am just conflicted on what to do and was hoping that maybe someone could help me out with how to pick the right degree
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You have until Jan 2022 to make this decision.
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You are a long time working and frankly, if you don't want to be a teacher then swap over now. No use doing a degree and then following a career that you are not sure about anymore just to please your parents. It's your life. Better to change now than apply via UCAS and this time next year have a change of heart.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Why do either? You could do a far broader degree and then go into nursing or teaching. You don't need to do a degree that links directly to a career and there are disadvantages in doing so.
malshoha
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Becoming an ODP would give you more in terms of salary progression and job security. you'll pretty much be guaranteed a job once you complete the ODP degree.

- ODP student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (44)
28.03%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.92%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.05%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.01%

Watched Threads