The Student Room Group

why don't we include the c when finding the area under the curve

as the title says
Reply 1
um im confused i dont understand your question
you could write it in, but look what happens...

[...... + c ] - [...... + c ]
Reply 3
Original post by interlanken-fall
as the title says

my men

you can include the c, but you will have the same c when you minus. c minus c is zero HAHA SO WE DONT NEED C!
Original post by srbryant
um im confused i dont understand your question

when we integrate any equation and we add c as a constant, why don't we add it when we try to find the area
Reply 5
as the title says

Simple example with me including the +c

Find the area under the line y = x from x = 1 to x = 2:

12x dx=[x22+C]12=(2+C)(12+C)=32\displaystyle \int_1^2 x \ dx = \left[\frac{x^2}{2} + C\right]^2_1 = (2+C) - \left(\frac{1}{2}+C \right) = \frac{3}{2}

Can you see why including the +C is unnecessary?

EDIT: Too late even at 23:20 on a Friday night :cry2:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Notnek
Simple example with me including the +c

Find the area under the line y = x from x = 1 to x = 2:

12x dx=[x22+C]12=(2+C)(12+C)=32\displaystyle \int_1^2 x \ dx = \left[\frac{x^2}{2} + C\right]^2_1 = (2+C) - \left(\frac{1}{2}+C \right) = \frac{3}{2}

Can you see why including the +C is unnecessary?

EDIT: Too late even at 23:20 on a Friday night :cry2:

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh they cancel out thank you!!
sorry I have exams after half term so cramping everything in going to bed after 1 more question good night!!
Reply 7
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh they cancel out thank you!!
sorry I have exams after half term so cramping everything in going to bed after 1 more question good night!!

I meant that my reply was too late since others had already answered. It's never too late to be doing maths questions :dumbells:
When you're integrating w/o limits/indefinite integrals, you have to include a constant (+C) at the end because it's not a single function like definite integrals. Also, as bear stated, the +c will cancel out anyway so need for it.
Reply 9
when we integrate any equation and we add c as a constant, why don't we add it when we try to find the area

oh now it make more sense
C’s cancel out

Quick Reply

Latest