izzzzzzzzzzx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I am currently doing GCSE french and i’m choosing french at A Level but I’m worried that i’ll hate it because i’ve heard that a lot of people do. I slightly struggle with gcse despite getting top grades in it. Please can people tell me their experiences.
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I did A level French and it is hard, but it is definitely enjoyable too! It depends a bit on the mindset you have going in, though - if you're determined to work hard but also to enjoy the things you learn but listening to music, watching films etc in French, it will be a lot better than if you go in expecting to revise everything at the end. It's a skill-based subject so learning things as you go along is really important. I loved A level French because we had a really nice dynamic with our teachers and I found it really exciting to go from GCSE speaking level, for instance, to A level speaking level. I'm doing university French now and, to be honest, I still find French really difficult.If you enjoy it, take it for A level and see where that takes you. It's hard but for me it was definitely worth it! (Let me know if you'd like study/revision methods too)
izzzzzzzzzzx
Rep:
?
(Original post by redmeercat)
I did A level French and it is hard, but it is definitely enjoyable too! It depends a bit on the mindset you have going in, though - if you're determined to work hard but also to enjoy the things you learn but listening to music, watching films etc in French, it will be a lot better than if you go in expecting to revise everything at the end. It's a skill-based subject so learning things as you go along is really important. I loved A level French because we had a really nice dynamic with our teachers and I found it really exciting to go from GCSE speaking level, for instance, to A level speaking level. I'm doing university French now and, to be honest, I still find French really difficult.If you enjoy it, take it for A level and see where that takes you. It's hard but for me it was definitely worth it! (Let me know if you'd like study/revision methods too)
i would love study methods if you have them-for gcse too(unfortunately i only have two weeks though til gcse)! and also what did you do to prepare in the summer holiday of year 11?
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by izzzzzzzzzzx)
i would love study methods if you have them-for gcse too(unfortunately i only have two weeks though til gcse)! and also what did you do to prepare in the summer holiday of year 11?
The most important thing after year 11 is to relax and have fun before sixth form. If you want to do a little bit of preparation, though, then use the time to have fun with the language - you can find music, podcasts, TV shows, films... even books in French that you enjoy. It doesn't feel like work, but if you integrate these into your day-to-day life because you enjoy them, you'll improve so much faster! I'll send you a DM with recommendations I give to my students.

Otherwise, vocab is obviously important at A level, so doing 5-10 words per day would not be wasted. This folder on quizlet isn't perfect, but it's a good start for AQA French https://quizlet.com/meercatred/folde...el-french/sets . If you don't want to do vocab, though (and I sympathise - vocab isn't my favourite!) then there's no problem - plenty of time after you start year 12! Generally, though, this set https://quizlet.com/gb/341560999/aqa...b-flash-cards/ has vocab that isn't on the vocab lists but is used in the AQA textbook and thus quite often in the exam, so it's worth learning.

I like using apps like Tandem and HelloTalk to talk to native speakers and improve my grammar, but equally, you have to be careful in terms of setting boundaries (for example, I don't talk about where I'm from beyond the country) and be aware that there are people (not many, thankfully) who don't use the apps for language learning.

Whilst you're doing A level, good revision methods other than vocab are writing practice paragraphs, doing practice translations (because they reveal grammatical weaknesses and holes in your vocab) and reading the news in French. Grammar exercises are also necessary even if they're not always much fun.

Essentially, the more you use a language, the easier it is to understand and to use. It takes time and you won't always notice your own improvements, but I promise that you will improve like this!
izzzzzzzzzzx
Rep:
?
(Original post by redmeercat)
The most important thing after year 11 is to relax and have fun before sixth form. If you want to do a little bit of preparation, though, then use the time to have fun with the language - you can find music, podcasts, TV shows, films... even books in French that you enjoy. It doesn't feel like work, but if you integrate these into your day-to-day life because you enjoy them, you'll improve so much faster! I'll send you a DM with recommendations I give to my students.

Otherwise, vocab is obviously important at A level, so doing 5-10 words per day would not be wasted. This folder on quizlet isn't perfect, but it's a good start for AQA French https://quizlet.com/meercatred/folde...el-french/sets . If you don't want to do vocab, though (and I sympathise - vocab isn't my favourite!) then there's no problem - plenty of time after you start year 12! Generally, though, this set https://quizlet.com/gb/341560999/aqa...b-flash-cards/ has vocab that isn't on the vocab lists but is used in the AQA textbook and thus quite often in the exam, so it's worth learning.

I like using apps like Tandem and HelloTalk to talk to native speakers and improve my grammar, but equally, you have to be careful in terms of setting boundaries (for example, I don't talk about where I'm from beyond the country) and be aware that there are people (not many, thankfully) who don't use the apps for language learning.

Whilst you're doing A level, good revision methods other than vocab are writing practice paragraphs, doing practice translations (because they reveal grammatical weaknesses and holes in your vocab) and reading the news in French. Grammar exercises are also necessary even if they're not always much fun.

Essentially, the more you use a language, the easier it is to understand and to use. It takes time and you won't always notice your own improvements, but I promise that you will improve like this!
thank you so much this is extremely helpful!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (39)
28.06%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (12)
8.63%
No I am happy with my choice (78)
56.12%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (10)
7.19%

Watched Threads