Kicked off of first year because of academic regulation that was never stated

Watch
greengiant123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm a first year at Cardiff Uni and i've just been told I cannot progress to second year because I got extensions on all my coursework because I've had pretty awful things happen to me recently and that meant I was physically unable to complete the assignments. Now they tell me there's this rule where you cannot accrue more than 60 credits in the summer resit period which is when I would be redoing all the assignments, and because I've got extensions on all of them I would be getting more than 60 credits in the summer resit period- so I can't get these credits and therefore have to retake because of a ridiculous regulation that whilst may have good intentions (uphold academic standards) was never mentioned to me, and It's not as though I was gonna go back and check the regulations to see if this was a rule either. Do I have any opportunity or leverage to appeal this?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
I only work for a FE college but all our student policies and procedures are freely available on the student portal.

During induction, the students are introduced to them and they get a handbook during induction that covers rules relating to assessments. Assessment procedures are easily found and covers exam resits etc. Nothing similar for you where this info is easy to reference?

What percentage of your course assessments (or outstanding credits versus total credits required) were you hoping to do in the 2 months or so summer holiday?

Is there a Student Union that you belong to that can help you?
greengiant123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
I only work for a FE college but all our student policies and procedures are freely available on the student portal.

During induction, the students are introduced to them and they get a handbook during induction that covers rules relating to assessments. Assessment procedures are easily found and covers exam resits etc. Nothing similar for you where this info is easy to reference?

What percentage of your course assessments (or outstanding credits versus total credits required) were you hoping to do in the 2 months or so summer holiday?

Is there a Student Union that you belong to that can help you?
Idk how to check the induction content tbh

I have done pretty close to 0% of the coursework

I was gonna do all the coursework now- I was mid way through the process of doing one of the coursework's and was actually making good progress on it.

Yea i guess if an appeal is possible then the student's union can help me out a bit
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
A quick Google uncovered your Unis academic regulations handbook 2020/2021.
greengiant123
Rep:
?
A quick Google uncovered your Unis academic regulations handbook 2020/2021.
Yea i know! But what I'm saying is I can't find the induction stuff that I think they mentioned had the info I needed in. Also why would I read the regs if I didn't know that that rule existed at the time?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Is it feasible to complete 8 months academic work in less than half that time?

(Original post by greengiant123)
Yea i know! But what I'm saying is I can't find the induction stuff that I think they mentioned had the info I needed in. Also why would I read the regs if I didn't know that that rule existed at the time?
Induction is usually an intro to policies not a line by line demo of every document.

If you dont read the regulations, you wont know the rules...
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Anyway, i hope it works out for you.

That said, perhaps its better to resit the year rather than put yourself under pressure trying to speed through the assessments over the summer when most academics arent available.
greengiant123
Rep:
?
Is it feasible to complete 8 months academic work in less than half that time?

Induction is usually an intro to policies not a line by line demo of every document.

If you dont read the regulations, you wont know the rules...
I mean im not gonna argue with u but nobody reads the academic regulations haha

yes i think its feasable as its not rly 8 months worth, its just like 7 essays and about 10,000 words.
greengiant123
Rep:
?
Anyway, i hope it works out for you.

That said, perhaps its better to resit the year rather than put yourself under pressure trying to speed through the assessments over the summer when most academics arent available.
not rly this is low key ridiculous

ive just been ridiculously unlucky in life in the past few months
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
They do when it comes to finding out if there is an appeal or complaints process ( in my experience of dealing with student disciplinary procedures, including expulsion. Then the student suddenly becomes really interested in the small print and their rights...!)

That academic regulations handbook that I easily found outlines your Unis complaints process.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago

yes i think its feasable as its not rly 8 months worth, its just like 7 essays and about 10,000 words.
Your entire year's assessment is composed of 7 short essays? Less than 1 a month during term time...?!

I must have misunderstood.
greengiant123
Rep:
?
Your entire year's assessment is composed of 7 short essays? Less than 1 a month during term time...?!

I must have misunderstood.
no we have like 11 in total but we have like 4 still to come for the remainder of this yr
Smeraldettoi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm a first year at Cardiff Uni and i've just been told I cannot progress to second year because I got extensions on all my coursework because I've had pretty awful things happen to me recently and that meant I was physically unable to complete the assignments. Now they tell me there's this rule where you cannot accrue more than 60 credits in the summer resit period which is when I would be redoing all the assignments, and because I've got extensions on all of them I would be getting more than 60 credits in the summer resit period- so I can't get these credits and therefore have to retake because of a ridiculous regulation that whilst may have good intentions (uphold academic standards) was never mentioned to me, and It's not as though I was gonna go back and check the regulations to see if this was a rule either. Do I have any opportunity or leverage to appeal this?
Contact your student union and appeal it
mike23mike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's true the uni should have pointed this regulation out to you but this regulation is there for a reason. If you take all the modules over the summer you will fail and be kicked off the programme. Better to retake the year.

Each year undergrads take modules that equate to 120 credits; typically 60 credits in semester one and 60 in semester two. If you are hoping to submit work for 80 or 90 credits over a few months during the summer then you are planning to retake over a semester's worth of work. You will end up failing some of the modules and being kicked off the programme.

I think it's impossible for a student to really think they can retake modules worth 70 or 80 credits and hope to pass them all; especially since you will be working on your own over the summer with little peer support and tutor guidance.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
I know its frustrating for you but maybe its a blessing.

It sounds like you've had a major slump since the beginning of the academic year. Is it really feasible to go from zero productivity to massive productivity in the compressed period of the summer holidays?

Assuming you can complete on time the 4 assessments that are still to be scheduled, you've nearly two-thirds of your course work in a quarter of the time left before the new academic year.

I work in a college so forgive me if it operates differently at Uni (i know they are open all year round for post grads/research students/medical students) but our Lecturers finish in June for nearly 2 months, they aren't available at all. They literally set 'out of office' messages on their emails around a week or two after the last term and pop up about a week before the new academic year.
greengiant123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I know its frustrating for you but maybe its a blessing.

It sounds like you've had a major slump since the beginning of the academic year. Is it really feasible to go from zero productivity to massive productivity in the compressed period of the summer holidays?

Assuming you can complete on time the 4 assessments that are still to be scheduled, you've nearly two-thirds of your course work in a quarter of the time left before the new academic year.

I work in a college so forgive me if it operates differently at Uni (i know they are open all year round for post grads/research students/medical students) but our Lecturers finish in June for nearly 2 months, they aren't available at all. They literally set 'out of office' messages on their emails around a week or two after the last term and pop up about a week before the new academic year.
yes. its definitely possible for me to do all the work, ive become a bit of a workaholic to escape my mental pain and it seems to be working, and it gives me something to ground me and defo something that can help me move forward
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sounds like you’ve had extrenuing (however you spell it) circumstances throughout to get that many extensions.
Are you in contact with your universities disability department and counselling department? They should be able to help advise you or at least direct you to the right place to get more support especially since you’ve mentioned you’ve said awful things have happened :console:
Last edited by Chronoscope; 4 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
yes. its definitely possible for me to do all the work, ive become a bit of a workaholic to escape my mental pain and it seems to be working, and it gives me something to ground me and defo something that can help me move forward
Unfortunately your plan to carry forward over 60% of your assessments breaches the Unis published policy on this. You are unlikely to be granted an exemption to this - these rules tend to be firm and without discretion as it makes things fairer for all students. That you were not aware of this regulation carries no weight.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sorry but I think you need to take some personal responsibility for the fact that it's now April and you have not completed even one coursework assignment. It wouldn't really be fair for universities to grant whole coure extensions to August - or why would other students be rushing to complete all their assignments by May along with juggling lectures, tutorials, etc?

It sounds like you've had a bad year - you just need to come to terms with the fact that it is going to take you one extra year now to complete your degree.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah this 60% summer thing sounds like something pretty rare they don't generally need to mention, (I was given passes for extenuating circumstances this year... but they only considered it when i had completed at least 1 piece of work for everything as an example.

Like as a glib observation on the thread... you haven't done the coursework.. and this is the part of the year where they assess how suitable you are to progress, and you're competing with students who have done the work. Trusting a student to complete 1 or 2 outstanding bits of work in the summer, ok, maybe... the whole course? no. I wouldn't see it as realistic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
9.3%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (56)
65.12%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (12)
13.95%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (9)
10.47%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.16%

Watched Threads