i'm 15 and i think i may have f*cked my life up

Watch
annie_xox<3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Okay, I'm going to be quite straight forward about this from the get go. I'm 15 and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing in life. My parents and teachers keep telling me I need to decide what career I want to pursue, but, frankly, all I want to do is sit on my ass eat pizza and watch movies.I have no particular pull towards any career path, EXCEPT FOR ACTING, but that has it's drawbacks too, if I don't make it into A-list or even B-list, I will struggle to make ends meet for the rest of my life. Not to mention I wimped out of a drama GCSE and that makes me think that it's a lost cause already.Finances are also tight, there is no way my parents will invest into drama school for me, but I have no idea how in the world to find the funds to try to follow my one dream in life.So I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth pursuing something that might not work out in the end and what do I do to secure the funds if I do choose to go down that path?Thank you in advance, Annika <3
Hellllpppp
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Some places don’t even offer GCSE drama so that definitely doesn’t make it a lost cause. Acting has drawbacks but if you love it and nothing else would make you happy try give it a go. I’m not an actor/performing arts student and I have no interest in it so I don’t know anything about the industry but couldn’t you have a good job and do auditions on the side.

What I do know is you can do performing arts diploma or something similar at sixth form/college (this would be free) if you want to commit to becoming an actor or if you want to keep your options open do drama A-level alongside two other subjects (also free).

You’re only 15 so please do give up on a dream yet especially if it’s the only thing you can see yourself being happy doing, look at colleges/sixth forms in your area (there might even be a performing arts school). As you have to be in education until you’re 18 it’s free to do a level 3 diploma in performing arts but if you chose to do a different btec/A-levels then you would have to pay to pursue it when you’re over 19.
Markiemark~
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I can see from your post you definitely accentuate a lot of emotion with what you say. Now, just bring that attitude into real life, don’t worry about what people think, act your heart out and really put yourself in scenes like you’re doing now. That aside, you wanna take a risk? Get a little loan to take some classes in acting, or start looking for directors, beginners in films or voice acting, anything to start and make your way from there. Use your acting experience as best as you can.
applianceguy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Go for it if you really want but it's always important to have a plan B so don't give up on your studies! It's always good to find a middle ground.

Here's a free refrigerator with a 10 year guarantee, good luck with your acting dreams!
Plain1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm over twice your age and I still don't know what I'll do with the rest of my life. I've never known. I'm at uni now and I still don't know what I'll do. Definitely have a plan B but always follow your dreams alongside. Everyone needs a fall back plan.
See if there's anything you can join where you live. Acting classes, singing classes etc. See if there's anything at a local theatre, auditions or work experience.
Get your regular qualifications as your back up.
You have not messed your life up!
Good luck.
pee-pee-poo-poo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by annie_xox<3)
I'm 15 and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing in life.
You're not alone, everyone at the moment is in a precarious and uncertain time. As for pursuing a career in acting, you should try to network with other people, in a similar age range as yourself - 15-16. It is very difficult for under 18s to get involved in acting, as there is not much provided for them. However, you should try to join clubs, classes and/or projects that will enhance your acting skills and expose yourself to new people, meaning new networks and opportunities. An acting career is very unpredictable, you just need to be in the right spaces at the right times, to get what you want. Hope this helped!
Last edited by pee-pee-poo-poo; 2 months ago
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by annie_xox<3)
Okay, I'm going to be quite straight forward about this from the get go. I'm 15 and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing in life. My parents and teachers keep telling me I need to decide what career I want to pursue, but, frankly, all I want to do is sit on my ass eat pizza and watch movies.I have no particular pull towards any career path, EXCEPT FOR ACTING, but that has it's drawbacks too, if I don't make it into A-list or even B-list, I will struggle to make ends meet for the rest of my life. Not to mention I wimped out of a drama GCSE and that makes me think that it's a lost cause already.Finances are also tight, there is no way my parents will invest into drama school for me, but I have no idea how in the world to find the funds to try to follow my one dream in life.So I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth pursuing something that might not work out in the end and what do I do to secure the funds if I do choose to go down that path?Thank you in advance, Annika <3
Annika,

The first thing I would say to you is that, if you want to act, you need to revise your plans to 'sit on [your] ass, eat pizza and watch movies'. I know a handful of people who appear on the stage and TV and they would be the first people to tell you that this isn't how it's done. You have to be on the ball and get out there. Every time you veg out on the sofa, someone else is turning up at 9 in the morning for an audition and grabbing a role you would have loved.

By the way, you say 'I wimped out of a drama GCSE'? What do you mean?

I would suggest that you aspire to apply to RADA. Why not?

https://www.rada.ac.uk/courses/ba-hons-acting/

In the meantime, you need to be taking any opportunities to appear in productions. Your school will almost certainly be putting something on. Would your drama teacher be able to set up a drama club which meets after school once a week?

You might like to pick up a copy of 'The Stage' at a newsagents.

https://www.thestage.co.uk/

Re your school subjects, make the most of your English classes. You will almost certainly want to do English at A Level. I would also suggest taking an interest in your language classes, as you will be able to read some of the famous plays written in, say, French.

Something else you could do is doing any sports you have access to at school. The actors I know make an effort to keep fit.

PS Until the lockdown, I was doing tap classes. Our teacher was appearing in 42nd Street at the time and he was fab! If there is a tap class in your area, Saturdays, perhaps, check it out.
Last edited by Kerzen; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed