The Student Room Group

Switching colleges at the end of year 13?

Please help me, I'm panicking like crazy and I'm not sure what to do.
I started my sixth-form about 2 years ago and I'm currently approaching the end of year 13. However, for the past year I have been extremely depressed and out-of-touch with both reality and my grades. This is because my A-levels as they are now simply do not permit me to pursue things that I am interested in, for example, medicine. I have offers for several universities but I haven't firmed or insured any of those either because I knew this day would come. My sixth-form gave us the opportunity to switch subjects early in year 12, but I was too slow and I was too scared of committing to STEM because I thought I sucked at it. I ignored the urges and now I'm paying the price. Only now have I decided that I want to re-apply to colleges and pursue my dream.

There are several issues with this. I am almost 18, it's mid-April, I am in the middle of an exam-period, and I really can't afford to pay for A-level courses. However, I may consider getting a job if I had to pay for the second year.

Is there a problem if I have already completed A-levels? Should I drop out of my current sixth-form now as to avoid having previous qualifications? Is it even worth it to sit my current exams? I haven't been doing well and I don't mind discarding 2 years, but I also think that it would be a safety net. Sorry for the rambling, I can't find many places to apply to in London, and would love recommendations. I just don't want to give up.
(edited 2 years ago)
I would say complete what you are doing and then find a college to do the STEM a levels. It would be much easier to explain a late realisation of your goals than to explain away a big gap and giving up on 2 years of school. It won't be easy to find a college and I am sure that there will be med schools that wouldn't consider you but that seems better than quitting on something.
Reply 2
What are your A-levels? I was in a similar situation
Email your Head of 6th form right now and ask to see him/her on your first day back.
You need to talk through all of this with someone at school.

Btw, there are Foundation courses for those with the 'wrong' A levels who want to do Medicine - Manchester as one example : https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2021/01430/mbchb-medicine-6-years-including-foundation-year/entry-requirements/
Original post by isajoy22
What are your A-levels? I was in a similar situation

History, English, Economics

Quick Reply

Latest