The Student Room Group

Parents of vet med applicants

Would like to start a thread for the parents of vet med applicants, although it's a bit late in the proceedings!
There are however subjects like reapplying, firming choices, accommodation, covid etc that as parents are of concern, and with which sharing ideas could be useful

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nobody2u
Would like to start a thread for the parents of vet med applicants, although it's a bit late in the proceedings!
There are however subjects like reapplying, firming choices, accommodation, covid etc that as parents are of concern, and with which sharing ideas could be useful

Thanks for starting this thread, it certainly is a minefield and a long stressful procedure for most!
My daughter is a first time applicant for this year, she luckily has an offer for Surrey for September, an offer for Notts for April 2022, is on hold for Bristol still and was rejected by HK pre-interview! She would have preferred Notts Sept, and is waiting to hear back from Bristol not because she prefers it to the other two but it would be a grade insurance as other two are same. Frustratingly long wait for Bristol! She is waiting for more offer holder events too before making final decision. We were lucky enough to visit all unis last summer although not properly inside etc. We live quite close to Surrey (Sussex).
Hi,
My daughter was a first time applicant as well, although we live in France so our experience is not quite the same. We would have loved Nottingham but for quite complicated reasons our application would have involved doing GCSE maths even though she got an A* in the Brevet exam and we just didn't want to take another year. In December she got an unconditional from Bristol so we withdrew from the others and are now just waiting to select accommodation etc Out of interest why would Bristol be an insurance offer when the grade requirements are one grade higher than Surrey and Notts? Would you be able to get a contextual?
Having read what other candidates have had to go through I think we got off lightly, although I think our email accounts were refreshed ten times more often than normally from November through to December.
I'm just starting to "worry" about the fact that she'll be a long way away for the next five to six years, and with EMS etc plus the distance, weekends at home from time to time are not really likely:s-smilie: .
Hi,
My daughter was a first time applicant as well, although we live in France so our experience is not quite the same. We would have loved Nottingham but for quite complicated reasons our application would have involved doing GCSE maths even though she got an A* in the Brevet exam and we just didn't want to take another year. In December she got an unconditional from Bristol so we withdrew from the others and are now just waiting to select accommodation etc Out of interest why would Bristol be an insurance offer when the grade requirements are one grade higher than Surrey and Notts? Would you be able to get a contextual?
Having read what other candidates have had to go through I think we got off lightly, although I think our email accounts were refreshed ten times more often than normally from November through to December.
I'm just starting to "worry" about the fact that she'll be a long way away for the next five to six years, and with EMS etc plus the distance, weekends at home from time to time are not really likely:s-smilie: .

Ah that’s a shame about the Maths requirements but great that she has an unconditional for Bristol. Yes Bristol (if she got an offer) would be a contextual offer so 2 grades lower than normal so one grade less than Surrey/Notts. Yes the email refreshing has been rediculous! Gosh yes a bit trickier then from France but I’m sure she’ll make some great friends whose parents would step in in an emergency etc. I expect they will all be too busy with work or having fun to want to spend many weekends at home tho! But know what you mean - with the April start at Notts it would mean we can’t really do family holidays in school hols with our two younger ones as well.
Hi. Mum of a first year bristol vet here. 2nd time applicant with 4 rejections first time round (1.pre interview and 3 post interview) but did not meet grades first time round (just!!) so re-sat 2 a levels. It is such a stressful application process, especially twice, however for those parents who have reapplicants so many dont get in first time round but the extra year will give them time not only to look at and polish thier applications but also and far more importantly grow as young adults and gain a little more life (and work) experience. I honestly believe that year was the best thing that could have happened for my child- a completely different person and even more so now she has been away for 8 months. Covid put pay to coming home for weekends and we were unable to visit her on her birthday, 400 mile 9hr round trip and lockdown. As a parent it has been hard going, even more so for the students, but they have all proved themselves to be a resilient bunch and will all eventually make awesome vets. Fingers crossed for all those still waiting to hear xx
Hi, thanks for starting the thread. Mum of bio-vet undergrad at Liverpool Uni. Currently holding an offer for Bristol AGEP and on the wait list for a space at RVC 4 year. Second time applicant, had offers after A levels for Liverpool and Bristol but got AAC on results day, so now taking a different route. 😄
I think going through the applicant process was even more stressful this time round,though delighted not to have to deal with results day again 😂 Luckily all work experience had been completed prior to lockdown, and managed a bit more during last summer,
Currently trying to work out which accommodation is best for accessing Langford as all 4 years are there and whilst DS would happy live at Langford there seems to be only 30 places. Any one any insight into which locations are best and bus route info? Thanks

Ps open to spare rooms in houses too, if anyone knows any going?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by J.SMITH_3
Thanks for starting this thread, it certainly is a minefield and a long stressful procedure for most!
My daughter is a first time applicant for this year, she luckily has an offer for Surrey for September, an offer for Notts for April 2022, is on hold for Bristol still and was rejected by HK pre-interview! She would have preferred Notts Sept, and is waiting to hear back from Bristol not because she prefers it to the other two but it would be a grade insurance as other two are same. Frustratingly long wait for Bristol! She is waiting for more offer holder events too before making final decision. We were lucky enough to visit all unis last summer although not properly inside etc. We live quite close to Surrey (Sussex).

I don' quite see how the contextual works, in that if Bristol offer it why wouldn't Surrey and Nottingham? The system seems so arbitrary sometimes!!
Crossing fingers that she gets her Bristol offer, even though I'm sure she'll achieve the required grades for the other two. What's favorite for the moment?
Original post by catshouse
Hi, thanks for starting the thread. Mum of bio-vet undergrad at Liverpool Uni. Currently holding an offer for Bristol AGEP and on the wait list for a space at RVC 4 year. Second time applicant, had offers after A levels for Liverpool and Bristol but got AAC on results day, so now taking a different route. 😄
I think going through the applicant process was even more stressful this time round,though delighted not to have to deal with results day again 😂 Luckily all work experience had been completed prior to lockdown, and managed a bit more during last summer,
Currently trying to work out which accommodation is best for accessing Langford as all 4 years are there and whilst DS would happy live at Langford there seems to be only 30 places. Any one any insight into which locations are best and bus route info? Thanks

There's a thread for the AGEP Bristol offer holders. Maybe your D.S could team up with some others to find a place.
Original post by Mumofhopefulvet
Hi. Mum of a first year bristol vet here. 2nd time applicant with 4 rejections first time round (1.pre interview and 3 post interview) but did not meet grades first time round (just!!) so re-sat 2 a levels. It is such a stressful application process, especially twice, however for those parents who have reapplicants so many dont get in first time round but the extra year will give them time not only to look at and polish thier applications but also and far more importantly grow as young adults and gain a little more life (and work) experience. I honestly believe that year was the best thing that could have happened for my child- a completely different person and even more so now she has been away for 8 months. Covid put pay to coming home for weekends and we were unable to visit her on her birthday, 400 mile 9hr round trip and lockdown. As a parent it has been hard going, even more so for the students, but they have all proved themselves to be a resilient bunch and will all eventually make awesome vets. Fingers crossed for all those still waiting to hear xx

Couldn't agree more. My DD applied for the first time in her gap year and luckily got accepted. She has literally metamorphosed since finishing school. She got a part time job which has taken her out of her comfort zone and helped her develop character traits that will be invaluable throughout her training and beyond. So whether it's for resitting or just simply having a breather, a year out is not to be viewed in a negative light. The vet schools don't see it this way, so we as parents shouldn't either.
I don' quite see how the contextual works, in that if Bristol offer it why wouldn't Surrey and Nottingham? The system seems so arbitrary sometimes!!
Crossing fingers that she gets her Bristol offer, even though I'm sure she'll achieve the required grades for the other two. What's favorite for the moment?

I don’t really understand it either, Bristol seems to have a list of colleges that are included for Contextual and her sixth form are on it - it’s a very highly regarded sixth form so not sure why! Thanks, she should be fine with grades luckily - think maybe Nottingham. Good luck to your daughter too!
Original post by catshouse

Digs, Bristol 01179308750 arrange student accommodation in Bristol, not sure if they stretch to Langford. The Unibus leaves Rupert Street in the city centre early morning, so the east village ie city centre accommodation works well.
Reply 11
Original post by J.SMITH_3

Grew up on the Surrey/ Sussex border. Lovely part of the world!☺️
Reply 12
Original post by Anxiety attack
Digs, Bristol 01179308750 arrange student accommodation in Bristol, not sure if they stretch to Langford. The Unibus leaves Rupert Street in the city centre early morning, so the east village ie city centre accommodation works well.

Hi @Anxiety attack,
Little question, are you the candidate or the mother of a candidate?? I've been wondering since reading some of your posts on the applicant thread. Unless I'm wrong ( and I often am!!) you were worried about the interest rates on the SF loans??
Just trying to situate people ☺️
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 13
Just came for a visit!! I'll go back with the youngsters now🤣🤣
Original post by Euapp
Just came for a visit!! I'll go back with the youngsters now🤣🤣

You were worried that we might be having more of a party here!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Spoiler

Original post by Euapp
Hi @Anxiety attack,
Little question, are you the candidate or the mother of a candidate?? I've been wondering since reading some of your threads on the applicant thread. Unless I'm wrong ( and I often am!!) you were worried about the interest rates on the SF loans??
Just trying to situate people ☺️

Ha! My son and I have shared it! Sometimes I have written, sometimes he has!
Original post by Anxiety attack
Ha! My son and I have shared it! Sometimes I have written, sometimes he has!

Which is why I started this one. My DD didn't like me poking my nose in:colondollar:
Which is why I started this one. My DD didn't like me poking my nose in:colondollar:

Hi there all. Thing we are finding most frustrating at present is the wait list situation. Anyone else? Daughter has Bristol offer but on wait list for RVC, potentially until May 20th. Trouble is, offer holders have until June 10th to firm/insure/decline offers and if some fortunate applicants are holding multiple offers until that date and decline at the last minute, surely students on wait lists will miss out on being offered that now-freed up place?
Reply 18
Original post by KatieBoots!
Hi there all. Thing we are finding most frustrating at present is the wait list situation. Anyone else? Daughter has Bristol offer but on wait list for RVC, potentially until May 20th. Trouble is, offer holders have until June 10th to firm/insure/decline offers and if some fortunate applicants are holding multiple offers until that date and decline at the last minute, surely students on wait lists will miss out on being offered that now-freed up place?

It’s a rough situation my DD is waiting on Bristol only. Had had all other offers in since January! Is holding on to all her places (2 vet and 1 backup) until she hears as Bristol is #1 choice. Personally I think they should all agree a deadline of March so the students can get on with their plans.
Reply 19
Original post by Mimote
It’s a rough situation my DD is waiting on Bristol only. Had had all other offers in since January! Is holding on to all her places (2 vet and 1 backup) until she hears as Bristol is #1 choice. Personally I think they should all agree a deadline of March so the students can get on with their plans.

Correction sorry holding on to 3 vet offers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending