The Student Room Group

Any medicine degrees with significant time abroad?

The one thing I really don't like about medicine, as much as I understand why, is the lack of opportunity for years abroad. I am aware of electives in fifth/sixth year, but they are usually only like 4-12 weeks correct me if I'm wrong? Are there any universities at all, that allow significant time abroad as part of their medicine degree, like half a year+. Doesn't have to be medicine abroad, which I think is the main reason it's not common. The year would have to meet GMC standards etc. But like an intercalated year abroad? Or literally just a year which doesn't contribute to the degree.

Thanks for any info
newcastle allows you to do a semester on their malaysia campus in second year. you could also just travel during the holidays?
Original post by themartinipolice
The one thing I really don't like about medicine, as much as I understand why, is the lack of opportunity for years abroad. I am aware of electives in fifth/sixth year, but they are usually only like 4-12 weeks correct me if I'm wrong? Are there any universities at all, that allow significant time abroad as part of their medicine degree, like half a year+. Doesn't have to be medicine abroad, which I think is the main reason it's not common. The year would have to meet GMC standards etc. But like an intercalated year abroad? Or literally just a year which doesn't contribute to the degree.

Thanks for any info

This is the only one I am aware of:

https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/study/medicine/your-studies/europe/
Some European medical schools do very extended electives.

But realistically, I'd suggest travelling in the long university holidays.
Reply 4
The best way to study Medicine with significant time abroad is to study Medicine abroad.

Quick Reply