Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello, I would be super grateful if somebody with knowledge on this subject wouldn’t mind responding.

I haven’t got any A&E rotations in either of F1/F2, but I would really like to be able to locum in A&E as part of a potential F3.

Would it still be possible without having had a rotation with an acute component to it? Has anybody done this and could they talk me through their experience/the process they went through?

Or is my only chance to try and swap my F2 for a rotation with A&E in it?

Also I am in different trusts for F1 and F2, would that affect anything?

Thanks!
Medstudo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The FY2s at my trust have to complete an ED rotation before they can do internal locum ED shifts but not sure if this applies to FY3 locums. Agency locum shifts might not stipulate an experience requirement. Some trusts a taster week is enough. I'd get in touch with the trust you'd hope to be working in and drop medical staffing an email.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello, I would be super grateful if somebody with knowledge on this subject wouldn’t mind responding.

I haven’t got any A&E rotations in either of F1/F2, but I would really like to be able to locum in A&E as part of a potential F3.

Would it still be possible without having had a rotation with an acute component to it? Has anybody done this and could they talk me through their experience/the process they went through?

Or is my only chance to try and swap my F2 for a rotation with A&E in it?

Also I am in different trusts for F1 and F2, would that affect anything?

Thanks!
"Would it still be possible without having had a rotation with an acute component to it?"

As in...not having done an acute job at all during the Foundation Programme? That would be pretty unusual I'd have thought.

To answer your question, I think this varies from department to department. Some will only take on locums with prior A&E experience, others seem happy to take on anyone with full GMC registration.

If you are able to arrange a swap and get an A&E job in FY2, I would try to do this.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Democracy)
"Would it still be possible without having had a rotation with an acute component to it?"

As in...not having done an acute job at all during the Foundation Programme? That would be pretty unusual I'd have thought.

To answer your question, I think this varies from department to department. Some will only take on locums with prior A&E experience, others seem happy to take on anyone with full GMC registration.

If you are able to arrange a swap and get an A&E job in FY2, I would try to do this.
I see what you mean - I meant I don't have acute internal medicine, or emergency medicine. I am quite happy with my jobs in F2 which includes O&G which I suppose would have an acute component per se in it as an F2...
Thank you for your advice
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I see what you mean - I meant I don't have acute internal medicine, or emergency medicine. I am quite happy with my jobs in F2 which includes O&G which I suppose would have an acute component per se in it as an F2...
Thank you for your advice
You don't have a medical job in FY1 with acute on calls? Pretty sure that is a Foundation Programme requirement
Anonymous #1
You don't have a medical job in FY1 with acute on calls? Pretty sure that is a Foundation Programme requirement
I have general medicine, geris and general surgery in f1. but that wouldn't be enough in terms of emergency med experience?

I mean I am just trying to think ahead and not even 100% sure I'd want to locum in A&E but would like to have the option
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
I have general medicine, geris and general surgery in f1. but that wouldn't be enough in terms of emergency med experience?

I mean I am just trying to think ahead and not even 100% sure I'd want to locum in A&E but would like to have the option
I was very lucky to get A&E rotatation- I assume it would be quite hard for people to want to swap with you in general tho
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

You should get some acute experience with those jobs because the alternative is being supernumerary which is not something I have ever encountered for an FY1 in gen med/geris/gen surg

In terms of whether it's enough for locuming in A&E - the main differences are the undifferentiated patient population, seeing patients across all specialties, and independently making plans quickly (and safely). This is rather different to the ward which is why it's helpful to have done it as a formal job before locuming, but actual requirements will vary from place to place depending on local policies and pressures I believe.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
You should get some acute experience with those jobs because the alternative is being supernumerary which is not something I have ever encountered for an FY1 in gen med/geris/gen surg
Funnily enough, I'm currently supernumerary on a medicine job at the moment which is a bit crazy given that my hospital is really struggling with staffing all the time (get emails almost every day about filling f1 on calls).

It's a definitely a nice change, the money is a lot less though.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Funnily enough, I'm currently supernumerary on a medicine job at the moment which is a bit crazy given that my hospital is really struggling with staffing all the time (get emails almost every day about filling f1 on calls).

It's a definitely a nice change, the money is a lot less though.
thought u got paid more for oncalls not less?
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
thought u got paid more for oncalls not less?
I'm not doing on calls (the emails go out to all FYs/CTs) on this job (unbanded).
But yes, you do get paid more for on calls.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (4)
50%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (2)
25%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (1)
12.5%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (0)
0%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (0)
0%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
12.5%

Watched Threads