The Student Room Group

Help asap! A level chemistry??

I’m in year 11 and I’m struggling whether I should drop chemistry a level or not. I originally decided psychology biology and chemistry in year 10 to possibly go into medicine. However now I’m rethinking. The more videos I see about a level chemistry the more terrified I get. Gcse level chemistry was ok I hated it sometimes enjoyed it sometime, but the mark scheme is soo strict already even if u know the topic u fan fail...so imagine a level chem. My highest predicted grades in yr 10 for all my subjects was 7 for biology and physics...my lowest predicted grade was 4 for chemistry ahhh. It’s like with bio and psychology I just need to memorise and put the effort, but with chemistry I feel like even if I put the effort I will fail. And idk if I’m even passionate about chemistry I do like biology used to find chem fascinating...but now the schools put me off. But if I don’t take chemistry I feel like biology might be useless on it’s own. So pleaseee help I’m honestly so anxious that it’s near the end of the year and I don’t know. If I don’t take chemistry I’ll most likely pick literature, media or RS but I don’t want to do something that will limit my career choices and give me a crappy job that I hate. Any advice would be super appreciated
Original post by Daddydingdong
I’m in year 11 and I’m struggling whether I should drop chemistry a level or not. I originally decided psychology biology and chemistry in year 10 to possibly go into medicine. However now I’m rethinking. The more videos I see about a level chemistry the more terrified I get. Gcse level chemistry was ok I hated it sometimes enjoyed it sometime, but the mark scheme is soo strict already even if u know the topic u fan fail...so imagine a level chem. My highest predicted grades in yr 10 for all my subjects was 7 for biology and physics...my lowest predicted grade was 4 for chemistry ahhh. It’s like with bio and psychology I just need to memorise and put the effort, but with chemistry I feel like even if I put the effort I will fail. And idk if I’m even passionate about chemistry I do like biology used to find chem fascinating...but now the schools put me off. But if I don’t take chemistry I feel like biology might be useless on it’s own. So pleaseee help I’m honestly so anxious that it’s near the end of the year and I don’t know. If I don’t take chemistry I’ll most likely pick literature, media or RS but I don’t want to do something that will limit my career choices and give me a crappy job that I hate. Any advice would be super appreciated

All of the sciences are equally hard. And they are tremendously hard. If you can dedicate enough time and effort and if you have enough interest it should be ok
I would say that GCSE mark schemes are worse than at A-level for having to use the correct phrasing/keywords - but still have their quirks :p:

People generally enjoy what they are good at - if you feel as if you struggle at GCSE chemistry then A-level is a big step up. A key mistake that A-level students make is that memorising will get them through - it won't. You have to get a good grasp of the ideas.

I wouldn't usually put too much faith in predicted grades if that's what is holding you back. People often switch A-levels at the very beginning of year 12 so don't feel that you are really locked into that in the future.
If you want to go into medicine most universities require Chemistry. So if you still want to do medicine and not limit your options then you might have to do chemistry.
I’m in year 11 and I’m struggling whether I should drop chemistry a level or not. I originally decided psychology biology and chemistry in year 10 to possibly go into medicine.
If you are still set on Medicine, then Chemistry is needed. Even more than Biology, it can be argued.

However now I’m rethinking. The more videos I see about a level chemistry the more terrified I get.
You haven't learnt the content yet, so you would naturally be terrified of it. It's really not that bad.

Gcse level chemistry was ok I hated it sometimes enjoyed it sometime, but the mark scheme is soo strict already even if u know the topic u fan fail...so imagine a level chem.
If you don't enjoy Chemistry, I don't recommend taking it.

My highest predicted grades in yr 10 for all my subjects was 7 for biology and physics...my lowest predicted grade was 4 for chemistry ahhh.
A 4 is quite low. I wouldn't recommend taking Chemistry, if that is your probable grade.

It’s like with bio and psychology I just need to memorise and put the effort, but with chemistry I feel like even if I put the effort I will fail. And idk if I’m even passionate about chemistry I do like biology used to find chem fascinating...but now the schools put me off.
How has the school put you off with Chemistry, may I ask?

But if I don’t take chemistry I feel like biology might be useless on it’s own. So pleaseee help I’m honestly so anxious that it’s near the end of the year and I don’t know.
What career would you like to do? Do you want to enter the science field?

If I don’t take chemistry I’ll most likely pick literature, media or RS but I don’t want to do something that will limit my career choices and give me a crappy job that I hate. Any advice would be super appreciated.

Answers and follow-up questions are above. :smile:
Original post by ACTesla
All of the sciences are equally hard. And they are tremendously hard. If you can dedicate enough time and effort and if you have enough interest it should be ok

Idk to me if I put equal effort into both sciencesni feel that biology was a bit better than chemistry in terms of applying your knowledge. I think that if I put the effort I can do chemistry I’m just worried I’ll hate it. English literature is kind of interesting me a lot right now the only problem is that idk any careers u can get by doing biology psych and literature. Maybe I’ll just watch some chemistry documentary’s and see if a massive spark of interest comes to me lol. Anyway do you think 2 hours of chemistry revision everyday excluding the longer hours of revision near exams would be enough to pass the subject. Like doing lots of past papers and stuff or do u need more?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by EierVonSatan
I would say that GCSE mark schemes are worse than at A-level for having to use the correct phrasing/keywords - but still have their quirks :p:

People generally enjoy what they are good at - if you feel as if you struggle at GCSE chemistry then A-level is a big step up. A key mistake that A-level students make is that memorising will get them through - it won't. You have to get a good grasp of the ideas.

I wouldn't usually put too much faith in predicted grades if that's what is holding you back. People often switch A-levels at the very beginning of year 12 so don't feel that you are really locked into that in the future.

Hmm Yh I’ll probably do pick chemistry a level and if I deeply hate it in the beginning I’ll swap it for like literature
Original post by PPP170903
If you want to go into medicine most universities require Chemistry. So if you still want to do medicine and not limit your options then you might have to do chemistry.

I was reevaluating going to medical school but I feel like maybe I would like to keep chemistry just in case something changes and I gain an intense want to go med school.

I think all med unis require an a level in chemistry
Original post by Nobody2003
I think all med unis require an a level in chemistry

Not all but you're limiting the number of schools that you could apply to.

Quick Reply