Can someone mark this English language paper 1 Q2 for me (8marks)

Watch this thread
KacperSchl
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The opening of a short story called ‘The Cat’ by Mary E Wilkins
Freeman (19th century).
The extract lines 7-15
For days the weather had been very bitter, and all the feebler wild things which were his prey had kept, for the most part, in their burrows and nests, and the Cat's long hunt had availed him nothing. But he waited with the inconceivable patience and persistency of his race; besides, he was certain. The Cat was a creature of absolute convictions, and his faith in his deductions never wavered. The rabbit had gone in there between those low-hung pine boughs. Now her little doorway had before it a shaggy curtain of snow, but in there she was. The Cat had seen her enter, so like a swift grey shadow that even his sharp and practised eyes had glanced back for the substance following, and then she was gone. So he sat down and waited, and he waited still in the white night, listening angrily to the north wind starting in the upper heights of the mountains with distant screams, then swelling into an awful crescendo of rage, and swooping down with furious white wings of snow like a flock of fierce eagles into the valleys and ravines.
MY ANSWER:
The writer uses pathetic fallacy by giving the weather an emotion of "bitter[ness]".This emotion is also felt by the cat as it is unable to 'avail' from it's hunts. The adverb 'very' and the phrase 'for days' shows the cat's hunting skills have come short as he once again is left without food in the 'white night'. This portrays the theory that became known in the 19th century, survival of the fittest, the cat here is presented as very weak and helpless destined to death if he doesn't find any prey. Only the best adapted survive meaning if the cat isn't suited to his environment he will eventually die. This is further strengthened when the phrase 'absolute convicted' is used as one of his characteristics.Perhaps the noun 'convicted' shows that from the beginning the cat's actions find him guilty to death.Possibly his death is 'absolute' and nothing can change it's path .
The cat has 'sharp and practised eyes' which help him spot prey, the use of sibilance gives a sense of danger and possibly another predator present such as a snake. This description shows the cat is capable of overcoming the difficulties of the environment but also the advantages he has over the prey. The cat's actions are constantly referred to as 'persistant' as the verb 'waited' is repeated twice. This trait is emphasised to show that the cat will eventually prevail due to its actions which fit it's environment as the cat has 'faith'. This refrence to 'faith' is a use of personification which gives the animal a human aspect as it wants to thrive and overcome it's difficulty. Which would help the readers understand it's difficulty so they can sympathise for the cat and hope it survives. The cats actions make the reader admire the cat but also sets a sense of anticipation.
username5574196
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
‘Very’ is an adjective. Besides that I think you’re great. I’m not an English teacher however I got a 7 in English Language and I think your work was better than mine. I like your use of ambitious vocabulary. However, this isn’t professional feedback.
KacperSchl
Rep:
(Original post by Kawalas108)
‘Very’ is an adjective. Besides that I think you’re great. I’m not an English teacher however I got a 7 in English Language and I think your work was better than mine. I like your use of ambitious vocabulary. However, this isn’t professional feedback.
ty im a grade 7 student as well
HK223344C
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Is this edexcel 2020?
Patricia lopes
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by KacperSchl)
The opening of a short story called ‘The Cat’ by Mary E Wilkins
Freeman (19th century).
The extract lines 7-15
For days the weather had been very bitter, and all the feebler wild things which were his prey had kept, for the most part, in their burrows and nests, and the Cat's long hunt had availed him nothing. But he waited with the inconceivable patience and persistency of his race; besides, he was certain. The Cat was a creature of absolute convictions, and his faith in his deductions never wavered. The rabbit had gone in there between those low-hung pine boughs. Now her little doorway had before it a shaggy curtain of snow, but in there she was. The Cat had seen her enter, so like a swift grey shadow that even his sharp and practised eyes had glanced back for the substance following, and then she was gone. So he sat down and waited, and he waited still in the white night, listening angrily to the north wind starting in the upper heights of the mountains with distant screams, then swelling into an awful crescendo of rage, and swooping down with furious white wings of snow like a flock of fierce eagles into the valleys and ravines.
MY ANSWER:
The writer uses pathetic fallacy by giving the weather an emotion of "bitter[ness]".This emotion is also felt by the cat as it is unable to 'avail' from it's hunts. The adverb 'very' and the phrase 'for days' shows the cat's hunting skills have come short as he once again is left without food in the 'white night'. This portrays the theory that became known in the 19th century, survival of the fittest, the cat here is presented as very weak and helpless destined to death if he doesn't find any prey. Only the best adapted survive meaning if the cat isn't suited to his environment he will eventually die. This is further strengthened when the phrase 'absolute convicted' is used as one of his characteristics.Perhaps the noun 'convicted' shows that from the beginning the cat's actions find him guilty to death.Possibly his death is 'absolute' and nothing can change it's path .
The cat has 'sharp and practised eyes' which help him spot prey, the use of sibilance gives a sense of danger and possibly another predator present such as a snake. This description shows the cat is capable of overcoming the difficulties of the environment but also the advantages he has over the prey. The cat's actions are constantly referred to as 'persistant' as the verb 'waited' is repeated twice. This trait is emphasised to show that the cat will eventually prevail due to its actions which fit it's environment as the cat has 'faith'. This refrence to 'faith' is a use of personification which gives the animal a human aspect as it wants to thrive and overcome it's difficulty. Which would help the readers understand it's difficulty so they can sympathise for the cat and hope it survives. The cats actions make the reader admire the cat but also sets a sense of anticipation.
Is this the Edexcel extract?
KacperSchl
Rep:
(Original post by Patricia lopes)
Is this the Edexcel extract?
it was a random paragraph from a random book
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (121)
41.72%
Not yet, but I will soon (53)
18.28%
No (116)
40%

Watched Threads