The Student Room Group

horrible housemate

I'm in my second year at uni and moved in with 5 friends but because of coronavirus there is only 3 of us living here because we have jobs which will start again soon. I've been having problems with one housemate she will take my food and alcohol without asking and never give it back. she also does this thing where she will have friends over without telling anyone but then won't introduce us and make it so awkward. I don't lock my door because I thought in didn't have to but when I come back there's always something from my room in the kitchen which just annoys me its all the little things. she also makes rude comments about everyone all the time. last week I just moved back and wanted to come in shower and see my friends but she had around 10 people round ( this is also not even allowed because of lockdown but that wasnt even my problem) when I walked in she didn't say hi she just closed the kitchen door so I couldn't see what they were doing. they then had a bbq and basically a party which went on from 4pm-12am and I have no idea how many people were here. I felt like I was stuck in my room listening to people scream, random strangers here and so many drug dealers turning up which just annoyed me like all I wanted to do was shower but couldn't because there were random girls being sick in the bathroom. I don't know what to do about this especially as I'm not good and confrontation but I did tell her it annoyed me and she could have at least let me know considering this has been planned for weeks but when I said that she just got annoyed at me and couldn't understand why I would be annoyed. so yeah any advice on how to deal with someone like this
Capture evidence of illegal activity and forward this to the university you both go to. She should be out in no time.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Firstly, sorry to hear that you're in this situation. Theft obviously isn't legal, but when you share common areas with people, there's no real way of prosecuting them for taking some food. How do the other housemates feel about this? Honestly, the only thing I can think of is sort of talking to them and escalating it to your landlord about what she's been up to. Threatening to leave will help as they would much rather eject one person out of the house than having four leave. Otherwise, really the only thing I can think of is moving out and finding alternative accommodation. If you're tied down to a contract you might be able to waver it because of how you're bring treated. And surely illegal activity, like those parties, should hold some value in getting her removed. Make sure you get evidence when she does things like that.
(edited 3 years ago)
Find a studio flat and never go back to this madness.
Find proof, report to the uni and the police, then get the hell out of there
You have absolutely done the right thing by telling her how you felt. There are so many things wrong with what she is doing it makes my blood boil:

- 10 people- breaking the Covid rules
- BBQ - possible fire risk
- coming into your room and taking things - violation of your space
- taking your food and drink - violation of your goods
- drugs being taken - against the law

You are being far too nice. I had the same problem at uni - flatmates smoking and doing drugs. I finally snapped and had it out with my flatmates - I felt so good after I lost it and told them what I had been feeling. It created a bad atmosphere for weeks afterwards but I knew I was in the right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending