Lack of direction/ meaning.

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've got no clue as to what I want to do with my life.
I've got a part-time job that I am greatful for, but it isn't very mentally stimulating- it's really quite boring.

I am considering doing an apprenticeship. However, the vast majority in my area don't seem worth doing, not belittling anyone who works in the following sectors, but it really isn't that difficult to get a job in a care home or in customer services without experience. These apprenticeships seem more like a way of paying someone £4.15 an hour as opposed to the minimum wage.
I've been thinking about going back to college, I am 20 :/. But none of the courses interest me that much, I've already got 6 GCSEs so I wouldn't get a level 2 funded, but I would get a L3 funded. The only subjects on offer that I could start from L3 are Health and Social Care, Childcare, Business, Travel and Tourism and Sports. I am just not interested.

I already volunteer, but I hate it as my boss is a class A prude, pedant and weirdo. I am staring another voluntary job next week at an LD day centre.

Sorry for this extended moan but I do not know what to do with myself. Has anyone got any ideas about what I should do with myself?
Starship Trooper
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Well it's a bit vague. What are you interested in? Lots of people don't really know what they want to do until they're middle aged.

I used to be very ambitious and wanted to work my way up the corporate ladder but found I valued having less stress and more time for myself.

Have you thought about the armed forces/ public services eg being a special constable?

On a personal note; it's very unfashionable at the moment but getting involved in a church and developing a relationship with God can help people find purpose and direction in life.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've got no clue as to what I want to do with my life.
I've got a part-time job that I am greatful for, but it isn't very mentally stimulating- it's really quite boring.

I am considering doing an apprenticeship. However, the vast majority in my area don't seem worth doing, not belittling anyone who works in the following sectors, but it really isn't that difficult to get a job in a care home or in customer services without experience. These apprenticeships seem more like a way of paying someone £4.15 an hour as opposed to the minimum wage.
I've been thinking about going back to college, I am 20 :/. But none of the courses interest me that much, I've already got 6 GCSEs so I wouldn't get a level 2 funded, but I would get a L3 funded. The only subjects on offer that I could start from L3 are Health and Social Care, Childcare, Business, Travel and Tourism and Sports. I am just not interested.

I already volunteer, but I hate it as my boss is a class A prude, pedant and weirdo. I am staring another voluntary job next week at an LD day centre.

Sorry for this extended moan but I do not know what to do with myself. Has anyone got any ideas about what I should do with myself?
There wasn't anything specific that I could comment on, so I'm going to offer blanket advice:

• What are your values?
  • What did you wanted to do when you were growing up?
  • What are your MBTi results, and did you see anything you like?
  • What would you want to do even if you were not paid for it and required no strings attached?
  • What sort of difference would you want to see in the world?
  • What would be your ideal day?
  • What would you would not shut up about given the chance?
  • What are the things that you do where time seems to fly by?
  • What sort of people (occupation-wise) did you grow up around?
  • What do your friends and enemies compliment you on?
  • What are your strengths and weaknesses?
  • What life experiences do you have so far?
  • Who have you spoken to regarding careers?
  • What career personality tests have you done? - At best, these give you an idea, not a definite answer
  • What would you do if you have all the money and time in the world?
  • What would you like in your eulogy? What would you have to do to achieve the things you want?
  • In an ideal world, free from any constraints, what would you be doing?
  • What seems second nature to you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (14)
29.79%
Take a gap year (12)
25.53%
Resit my exams (8)
17.02%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (6)
12.77%
I don't know yet (4)
8.51%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
6.38%

Watched Threads