The Student Room Group

Cancel A-level and GCSE exams 2022 - SIGN THE PETITION BELOW

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SZ.
Well, perhaps not for everyone. Just those in Year 10 - the last proper year of school was year 8 and they are going into year 11 next year and that will probably be the only other full year they will have. How can they be expected to take exams? or perhaps some sort of leniency, would be much better. At the end of the day, you would have to understand our side.

Hi if you want exams to be cancelled because of how AWFUL covid has impacted students sign this petition it's LEGIT https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/597282
Original post by YOLO180905!
Hi if you want exams to be cancelled because of how AWFUL covid has impacted students sign this petition it's LEGIT https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/597282. Also I AM revising but how is it MY fault is my learning has been disrupted and students are super behind because they haven't been taught stuff you just expect us to sit exams having covered barely any of the syllabus. Loads of kids didn't get any schooling in the lockdowns when they were in Y10 so now what do WE do- stop being selfish...

Even if the petition is legit, the government have replied and their answer seems like they won't budge, keep in mind that getting 100,000 signatures only means they debate not actually pass it.

Every path we take in this is selfish, including yours - cancelling exams and doing CAGs affect many things:
Private candidates - they've been told exams will not be cancelled and so have gone about their business the usual way
Teachers - they have to put in SO MUCH work for your TAGs
Some students - some students will be cheated by CAGs and have to waste time resitting to get the grade required
Universities - they had to offer money so people would defer last year and now they are being careful with offers and untrusting of predicted grades...

Doing exams affects students who haven't been taught the right way yes, but I'm not sure it's loads, many schools want the best grades and would've offered their students at least something. If you weren't getting taught but had access to a laptop, and WiFi, you could have attempted to self-teach...
Original post by AmIReallyHere
Fair teacher based grades? Have you not seen any of the articles and statistics that show teacher based grades are ANYTHING but fair, I'm pretty sure you guys got Year 10 back to relatively normal in that education went on in school, the GCSE is two years and you've spent most of that two years in a classroom, sorry to be so harsh but you will have to deal with it... content has been removed, you are getting some information beforehand in February.

Nothing right now will cancel exams unless coronavirus decides to go on a surge, go revise

LOL you must be naive to think that exam boards will actually give us any useful information in February most teachers I've spoken to have said they won't be specific enough so in the end students will just end up revising everything cause we don't want to take that kind of risk. Also a lot of our Y10 got disrupted with people having to constantly self-isolate meaning we would go back to school someone in my year group would get COVID and then we;re all home for 2 weeks. Not as easy as you're making it out to be + our Y9 was super disrupted and in my school that's when we complete a lot of our GCSE science syllabus- I didn't even get Y9 exams... Also people who got TAG are LUCKY- most people got fair grades or higher than they actually would've gotten if they had sat exams many people I know got A*s when they wouldn't have gotten it in reality. So they just got a free pass- I'm sick of previous Y11s moaning about having gotten TAGs when most of them got higher than what they deserved.
So yeah of course many of us want exams to be cancelled how are exams going forward fair to us- so many have to constantly self-isolate even NOW so how can they be expected to sit exams, others of us have missed learning and our teachers are trying hard but we're super behind and won't be able to catch up. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO? I have literally been revising pretty much every day but there are so many gaps in my learning I AM TRYING MY BEST so stop being rude and have some consideration for others.
LOL you must be naive to think that exam boards will actually give us any useful information in February most teachers I've spoken to have said they won't be specific enough so in the end students will just end up revising everything cause we don't want to take that kind of risk. Also a lot of our Y10 got disrupted with people having to constantly self-isolate meaning we would go back to school someone in my year group would get COVID and then we;re all home for 2 weeks. Not as easy as you're making it out to be + our Y9 was super disrupted and in my school that's when we complete a lot of our GCSE science syllabus- I didn't even get Y9 exams... Also people who got TAG are LUCKY- most people got fair grades or higher than they actually would've gotten if they had sat exams many people I know got A*s when they wouldn't have gotten it in reality. So they just got a free pass- I'm sick of previous Y11s moaning about having gotten TAGs when most of them got higher than what they deserved.
So yeah of course many of us want exams to be cancelled how are exams going forward fair to us- so many have to constantly self-isolate even NOW so how can they be expected to sit exams, others of us have missed learning and our teachers are trying hard but we're super behind and won't be able to catch up. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO? I have literally been revising pretty much every day but there are so many gaps in my learning I AM TRYING MY BEST so stop being rude and have some consideration for others.

Mate you're basically saying that you want a good grade without having to work for it. If the exams get cancelled then you'll simply have to do more exams, the exact opposite of what you want, damn daniel so many people aren't getting this lol.

I am in the exact same position as you and many others, yet I do not want exams to be cancelled. TAGs are unfair. I had to self-isolate 10 times last year. I missed learning and had gaps in my knowledge and I took it upon myself to reteach myself everything I missed in the summer. I understand that everyones situation is different and people are trying their best I really do, but I want grades that I actually earned and not just a 'free pass', 'a guess at what I might have got'. If everyone gets 9s, then are they really worth anything? I don't think so. Unless we end up in a lockdown we will be doing exams this year, so we're all just going to have to suck it up and work hard.
Original post by thrivingfrog
I am in the exact same position as you and many others, yet I do not want exams to be cancelled. TAGs are unfair. I had to self-isolate 10 times last year. I missed learning and had gaps in my knowledge and I took it upon myself to reteach myself everything I missed in the summer. I understand that everyones situation is different and people are trying their best I really do, but I want grades that I actually earned and not just a 'free pass', 'a guess at what I might have got'. If everyone gets 9s, then are they really worth anything? I don't think so. Unless we end up in a lockdown we will be doing exams this year, so we're all just going to have to suck it up and work hard.

Dang 10 times?! the hell man. The only reason why i won't be annoyed if the exams get cancelled is that i'll actually be mentally prepared for it this time and not mentally break down (when for the fiasco last year so i know what's coming).
Original post by Talkative Toad
Dang 10 times?! the hell man. The only reason why i won't be annoyed if the exams get cancelled is that i'll actually be mentally prepared for it this time and not mentally break down (when for the fiasco last year so i know what's coming).

Yeah about 50% of my year group got covid, wasn't our finest year I can't lie
Yeah about 50% of my year group got covid, wasn't our finest year I can't lie

That sucks.
Eh, I wouldn't mind if they reduced some exams but its difficult to make an exam that fairly represents someone's knowledge of a subject after taking it small. Like, I would prefer 1 paper instead of 2 or 3 if it was possible, but I don't think there's a fair way to do that, so best scenario is, normal pre-covid exams :biggrin:
Original post by OnlyTheQuack
Eh, I wouldn't mind if they reduced some exams but its difficult to make an exam that fairly represents someone's knowledge of a subject after taking it small. Like, I would prefer 1 paper instead of 2 or 3 if it was possible, but I don't think there's a fair way to do that, so best scenario is, normal pre-covid exams :biggrin:

Normal pre-covid exams aren't happening though, changes are still happening - so instead of doing 4 topics, you may be doing 3 (as an example)
"All other things being equal, exams are the best way of judging what students know and can do. It is the government’s firm intention that exams should go ahead in 2022."

This is what it says on the official petition website. It's just not going to happen.
Original post by Sinnoh
No.

The people sitting A-levels in 2022 are the people who didn't sit GCSEs in 2020. Let's not have an entire cohort of people who never took any public exams pls.

i agree with u and im in yr13

im so sorry!
although i didnt have to isolate , i had other problems which affected my mock grades so i wish exams can go ahead, coz i dont trust TAG's,
Original post by Parinoor
im so sorry!
although i didnt have to isolate , i had other problems which affected my mock grades so i wish exams can go ahead, coz i dont trust TAG's,

just gotta work with what you got i guess

Quick Reply