The Student Room Group

My mum is mad at me

Tonight my mom asked me and my sisters if we wanted Chinese takeout. We said no because we weren’t particularly hungry and we’d already had takeout the night before so we didn’t want it again. (Also my mom is usually fussy about us eating-she doesn’t like us snacking, etc so I thought it was weird that she was ordering takeout for us).

Anyway, she then got really mad at us for not wanting takeout, and she said we were ‘always causing trouble’ and were being ‘difficult’. She said she’s not ordering takeout anymore but she won’t let us into the kitchen to make our own food, so I have no way of eating dinner tonight.

Am I being irrational, and what should I do because I don’t know what to do?

thank you

Scroll to see replies

That’s red flag behaviour and you gotta talk to a responsible adult about your mother clearly having personal issues 😌💅🏻
make sure to keep an emergency ration of food in your room just in case this happens again
go to the kitchen and sneak some food. Get some for your sisters too.
Reply 4
Original post by markmm4226
That’s red flag behaviour and you gotta talk to a responsible adult about your mother clearly having personal issues 😌💅🏻

thank you for reading. I didn't understand why she was so mad at me for not wanting a big takeout. It's 7pm and I've had nothing since lunch. My sister just tried to order some food on her phone and my mum went crazy and said she would get in so much trouble if she did that.

update: she said we can have a piece of toast later (to compensate for the dinner we missed :frown:
ngl, but is it that bad if u miss a meal?
like there are thousands+ out there who dont get any meals anyway, so i guess ur story would act b one theyde want to be in.
besides, ur mom will prob call u to eat eventually, if u stay calm and go to bed
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
make sure to keep an emergency ration of food in your room just in case this happens again

thank you-I have 2 Easter eggs left from last week so I will eat them :smile:

update: she said we can have a piece of toast later (to compensate for the dinner we missed :frown:

:O

Original post by SHADOW_SCRIPT

it is.
Reply 8
like there are thousands+ out there who dont get any meals anyway, so i guess ur story would act b one theyde want to be in.
besides, ur mom will prob call u to eat eventually, if u stay calm and go to bed

I understand where you're coming from-I know my problem is nothing compared to what some people have to go through
like there are thousands+ out there who dont get any meals anyway

am i the only who hates this phrase
am i the only who hates this phrase

Me too. Doesn't help solve the problem at hand.
(edited 2 years ago)

Stop downplaying OP’s situation. This is a common thing abusive parents do, punishing their children by not letting them eat. That’s abuse.
Original post by Qxi.xli
Me too. Doesn't help solve the problem at hand.

i was just saying
(besides last line seems relevant enough lol)
IMO not that deep maybe she overreacted although nothing too serious
Original post by DiamondDia
Stop downplaying OP’s situation. This is a common thing abusive parents do, punishing their children by not letting them eat. That’s abuse.

umm... 1 depends on child's age
2 how many times the parent does this
3 in a row or not (?)
OP what will happen if you go to the kitchen to get food?
good question
Original post by DiamondDia
OP what will happen if you go to the kitchen to get food?

does she inflict physical abuse too

The argument of not being able to complain about anything because people have it worse is so irrelevant and inappropriate. A child missing a meal due to the parent’s irrational behaviour may not affect their long term health in the grand scheme of things, but they have a right to say it’s wrong.

Some people live in war zones, so we should not just complain about riots or violence on our streets right? Some people have terminal illness, so we can’t complain about having a curable one?

But go off I guess
does she inflict physical abuse too

no, buy my dad did to my sister. She tried to reason with my mum and my dad pushed her over

Quick Reply