The Student Room Group

University course A Level choice

Has anyone ever had A Level subjects like Business and Accounting and got into Engineering or Medical? without foundations... Like has that happened?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
With maths a level engineering would be possible. I think Newcastle don’t require specific a levels for medicine.
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
With maths a level engineering would be possible. I think Newcastle don’t require specific a levels for medicine.

I have Maths but it s got E in AS and with many tries so I can't do it again. Btw New castle does have Biology as requirement.
Reply 3
Original post by Samavi16
I have Maths but it s got E in AS and with many tries so I can't do it again. Btw New castle does have Biology as requirement.

I think with an e at as maths you don’t want to be doing a degree in engineering. Are you grades good enough for medicine other than the subjects?
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
I think with an e at as maths you don’t want to be doing a degree in engineering. Are you grades good enough for medicine other than the subjects?

I think so and I m good at Maths but not at giving exams. I did it privately so my understanding is limited but I m good at what I understood.
I think so and I m good at Maths but not at giving exams. I did it privately so my understanding is limited but I m good at what I understood.

You will need to take exams, both in just maths and in other subjects which require a great deal of mathematical work, in any engineering degree. It is a necessarily mathematical field, and you will need to use maths at A-level and beyond not only in your mathematical methods modules on an engineering degree, but in almost every other module - you will be using calculus, solving differential equations, doing matrix algebra etc, on a daily basis, across all your modules in an engineering degree. If you cannot do A-level Maths exams you will fail engineering degree exams, in just about every module except the non-mathematical (and easy) engineering management/professional skills modules. There really is no way around that. You need to plan to study another subject if that is the case for you, or resolve the issues causing you to fail in maths exams now.

For medicine you can find details of all the entry criteria for all UK medical schools, and innumerable queries and discussions about subject combinations, in the thread created by here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422 you will generally need A-level Biology or Chemistry plus usually another science or maths subject (which may be whichever of chemistry or biology you haven't already taken, physics, or maths, plus sometimes psychology is considered). Some require both chemistry and biology. One (Newcastle) has no subject requirements. None require A-level Maths.
(edited 2 years ago)
Good advice, although in this case I'm not sure the specific "something else" being considered by OP is a viable option either :s-smilie:

Has anyone ever had A Level subjects like Business and Accounting and got into Engineering or Medical? without foundations... Like has that happened?

As alluded to by myself and ecolier, I think you need to spend some time actually investigating what these degrees (and careers) involve and choose a course to pursue based on your strengths and abilities, rather than trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. Trying to force yourself through a degree that you have no aptitude for, or no interest in, will end poorly, and ultimately will be a waste of time and money for you. It is better to figure out what you want to do, and make sure it is something you can do, and pursue it wholeheartedly. I say this from personal experience!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
You will need to take exams, both in just maths and in other subjects which require a great deal of mathematical work, in any engineering degree. It is a necessarily mathematical field, and you will need to use maths at A-level and beyond not only in your mathematical methods modules on an engineering degree, but in almost every other module - you will be using calculus, solving differential equations, doing matrix algebra etc, on a daily basis, across all your modules in an engineering degree. If you cannot do A-level Maths exams you will fail engineering degree exams, in just about every module except the non-mathematical (and easy) engineering management/professional skills modules. There really is no way around that. You need to plan to study another subject if that is the case for you, or resolve the issues causing you to fail in maths exams now.

For medicine you can find details of all the entry criteria for all UK medical schools, and innumerable queries and discussions about subject combinations, in the thread created by @ecolier here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422 you will generally need A-level Biology or Chemistry plus usually another science or maths subject (which may be whichever of chemistry or biology you haven't already taken, physics, or maths, plus sometimes psychology is considered). Some require both chemistry and biology. One (Newcastle) has no subject requirements. None require A-level Maths.

You re right so Medical student can go into business/engineering where as business students can't no matter how good they re in Maths. It's unfair.
Reply 8
Good advice, although in this case I'm not sure the specific "something else" being considered by OP is a viable option either :s-smilie:

As alluded to by myself and ecolier, I think you need to spend some time actually investigating what these degrees (and careers) involve and choose a course to pursue based on your strengths and abilities, rather than trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. Trying to force yourself through a degree that you have no aptitude for, or no interest in, will end poorly, and ultimately will be a waste of time and money for you. It is better to figure out what you want to do, and make sure it is something you can do, and pursue it wholeheartedly. I say this from personal experience!

I have interest in Engineering as dull as Maths is I always love solving equations.
You re right so Medical student can go into business/engineering where as business students can't no matter how good they re in Maths. It's unfair.

I have interest in Engineering as dull as Maths is I always love solving equations.

Yes but universities don't have any evidence of your ability in maths other than the exams you take in that subject. Also, as stated, you will be expected to take (and preferably do well in) maths exams at uni in an engineering degree, and in other exams which are largely maths based. If you can't do well in maths exams now then you won't do well in those exams, and there is little point doing an engineering degree to fail it on that basis (and universities will probably prefer not to take applicants they think will fail in the degree).

You could apply to engineering courses with a foundation year, however you will still study that same A-level Maths (and physics, and sometimes other subject) content in the foundation year, and take exams in it. If you failed those exams you would not be permitted to continue to the first year of the degree anyway. It's both fair and in your best interest to have those requirements, so as to ensure that people who do not have the preparation or aptitude (which includes the ability to sit exams) in the relevant subjects are not taken onto a degree which they are very likely to fail without that preparation or aptitude.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
Yes but universities don't have any evidence of your ability in maths other than the exams you take in that subject. Also, as stated, you will be expected to take (and preferably do well in) maths exams at uni in an engineering degree, and in other exams which are largely maths based. If you can't do well in maths exams now then you won't do well in those exams, and there is little point doing an engineering degree to fail it on that basis (and universities will probably prefer not to take applicants they think will fail in the degree).

You could apply to engineering courses with a foundation year, however you will still study that same A-level Maths (and physics, and sometimes other subject) content in the foundation year, and take exams in it. If you failed those exams you would not be permitted to continue to the first year of the degree anyway. It's both fair and in your best interest to have those requirements, so as to ensure that people who do not have the preparation or aptitude (which includes the ability to sit exams) in the relevant subjects are not taken onto a degree which they are very likely to fail without that preparation or aptitude.

Oh wow I did not know that we had to do Mathematics in Engineering. Thank you for telling me that Captain Obvious. I did my exam under stress I got E I was private candidate and I have a C in O Level Maths. So clearly I know Maths is fundamental in Engineering as is Physics, and Chemistry. I am good at it and I know I have little to no chance but I want to know if anyone s done it.
Oh wow I did not know that we had to do Mathematics in Engineering. Thank you for telling me that Captain Obvious. I did my exam under stress I got E I was private candidate and I have a C in O Level Maths. So clearly I know Maths is fundamental in Engineering as is Physics, and Chemistry. I am good at it and I know I have little to no chance but I want to know if anyone s done it.

What you are looking for is validation that you could get into and do well in an engineering degree despite no evidence that supports that being the case. Unfortunately, I can't provide that validation and I don't think that anyone that has studied on an engineering degree can or will either. Unless, or until, you can develop your abilities in either at least taking mathematical exams, even assuming you can do the maths itself otherwise, you are unlikely to do well in an engineering course.

If you don't like the truth of the matter then that is on you, and it is not an excuse to be needlessly rude to the people pointing out the reality of your situation. If you want to change that reality then you can do the work and get to the point where you can do well in a maths exam. Until then, you are extremely unlikely to be accepted to any engineering degree, and it is extremely likely if you were that you would do badly. If you don't wish to heed that warning then it is your own time and money that will be wasted.
Reply 12
What you are looking for is validation that you could get into and do well in an engineering degree despite no evidence that supports that being the case. Unfortunately, I can't provide that validation and I don't think that anyone that has studied on an engineering degree can or will either. Unless, or until, you can develop your abilities in either at least taking mathematical exams, even assuming you can do the maths itself otherwise, you are unlikely to do well in an engineering course.

If you don't like the truth of the matter then that is on you, and it is not an excuse to be needlessly rude to the people pointing out the reality of your situation. If you want to change that reality then you can do the work and get to the point where you can do well in a maths exam. Until then, you are extremely unlikely to be accepted to any engineering degree, and it is extremely likely if you were that you would do badly. If you don't wish to heed that warning then it is your own time and money that will be wasted.

I already thought you understood that I know Maths is important and the truth I m looking to save my dream of becoming an engineer but quite frankly you were hung up on what Maths I need which to be completely earnest I know. I want to know the truth but not the way you are saying it you are not being straight forward you re using Maths to hide the truth. I think it s wrong and I snapped. So you think I can't do it?

You can have a go at finding a foundation year or Access to HE which will accept your A level grades, combined with a consequent degree program which also has relatively little exam content, or you can look for an apprenticeship instead of the degree route.

Otherwise you will need to take exams. Lots of them. Like seven or eight 3 hour exams in the space of two or three weeks. And that's after you get into the degree program.

Dreams have to be earned, and a large part of that is working smart, which includes learning how to overcome your weaknesses. You need to do that first before you can achieve your dream. Figure out which one out of a tutor, a counsellor, or a GP is going to be most helpful in helping you to pass exams in a way which is representative of your apparent ability so you can confront the issue.
Reply 14
Original post by Helloworld_95
You can have a go at finding a foundation year or Access to HE which will accept your A level grades, combined with a consequent degree program which also has relatively little exam content, or you can look for an instead of the degree route.

Otherwise you will need to take exams. Lots of them. Like seven or eight 3 hour exams in the space of two or three weeks. And that's after you get into the degree program.

Dreams have to be earned, and a large part of that is working smart, which includes learning how to overcome your weaknesses. You need to do that first before you can achieve your dream. Figure out which one out of a tutor, a counsellor, or a GP is going to be most helpful in helping you to pass exams in a way which is representative of your apparent ability so you can confront the issue.

I can't do Foundation as my mum said no and I have no option but to architect or lawyer... I want to be engineer
I can't do Foundation as my mum said no and I have no option but to architect or lawyer... I want to be engineer

If you want to be an engineer then you're going to have to stop listening to your mum then.
Reply 16

It’s your life not your mothers. If you really want to be an engineer then there are only 2 realistic options, do a foundation year or retake your Maths A level looking to get a Grade C or higher.
Reply 17
That
Original post by nutz99
It’s your life not your mothers. If you really want to be an engineer then there are only 2 realistic options, do a foundation year or retake your Maths A level looking to get a Grade C or higher.

That s sweet but my mum is important in my religion we can’t disobey our parents so I m looking for last chance I m fine with what I get.
Reply 18
That That s sweet but my mum is important in my religion we can’t disobey our parents so I m looking for last chance I m fine with what I get.

You should still do something at Uni that you want to do not something that you are pressured into doing. Otherwise you could waste 3 years of your life.

Have you thought about an Accounting and Finance degree as an alternative if you can’t get into engineering.
Reply 19
Original post by nutz99
You should still do something at Uni that you want to do not something that you are pressured into doing. Otherwise you could waste 3 years of your life.

Have you thought about an Accounting and Finance degree as an alternative if you can’t get into engineering.

That s my second choice but my dream is crushed as much as I m trying to move on it s not working.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest