Music vs non music students at school Watch

This discussion is closed.
riotgrrrl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
okay, I wasn't sure whether or not this shuodl go in general or academic or entertanment ir even discussion and debate sorry

Do people who play an instrument do better in school to thoses who dont?

I've always wondered about this, any comments?

HH
enigmatic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Certainly in my school, this is not the case. In fact, the people who play musical instruments at my school seem a bit snobby and seem to think they are better than others
alro
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
wouldn't have thought so. i don't play any instruments (although i did play the trumpet somewhat unsuccessfully for a year) and am doing very well at school thank you very much. they might do better in music lessons i suppose. i guess it's just a question of playing to your strengths wherever they lie. hence why i gave up music, DT, art etc as soon as legally possible!
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
(Original post by enigmatic)
Certainly in my school, this is not the case. In fact, the people who play musical instruments at my school seem a bit snobby and seem to think they are better than others
Theres only one of me studying musc and only one other person whos 'good' at music. I dont think I'm that good - I mean I'm in the county orchestra but playing the viola! It gets very lonely at school when you run in and say - I got grade 6 distinction with others going... kool?

I know what u mean though at my old orchestra there were a group of people which you could telll looked down on teh whole world!
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
(Original post by alro)
wouldn't have thought so. i don't play any instruments (although i did play the trumpet somewhat unsuccessfully for a year) and am doing very well at school thank you very much. they might do better in music lessons i suppose. i guess it's just a question of playing to your strengths wherever they lie. hence why i gave up music, DT, art etc as soon as legally possible!

I remember reading a study about it somewheere - it was quite interesting. People who studied music often thought more laterally and remembered facts more easily. This isn't the case for me, but oh well! I was thinking of doing a mini project about it cos it interests me
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I play the guitar and am perfectly happy with my academic successes so far.

On a related note, Einstein loved music and was reported to have said that if he didn't get into physics then he would have probably of been a musician. hehe
footballhead
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I just think its generally people who do well at school, are the ones bothered to put practice in etc and therefore be good at music. Otherwise someone who doesnt do very well at school as a result of not being bothered to work hard, is usually quite unlikely to bother with a musical instrument.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No...
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zapsta)
No...
exaplan....
platinumki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, it all depends on exactly what you mean. If you take a school's orchestra, usually their exams results will be better than the whole school average. This is for a variety of reason. Firstly, many of the skills needed are the same for music as maths and science.

(Original post by Alro)
i don't play any instruments (although i did play the trumpet somewhat unsuccessfully for a year) and am doing very well at school thank you very much. they might do better in music lessons i suppose. i guess it's just a question of playing to your strengths wherever they lie. hence why i gave up music, DT, art etc as soon as legally possible!
Most people, including most non-professional musicians, are really not particularly talented. In art you have to have fresh ideas and real spark - in music, if you work hard enough, for long enough ANYONE can reach grade 8. It's only above that that people really need flair.

So the kids that are good at music tend to have...

a) supportive parents. If you don't play an instrument, this does not mean your parents hate you etc but you have to admit, forking out cash (and it always costs) shows a parental interest in education and happy family circumstances which will help improve academia.

b) tenacity. Even Mozart had to practise. Practising is like studying. People who can study one thing can study another so your average good musician will have good study skills

c) menal agility. They have done studie on this. I'm not sure, but apparently it does raise IQs. (although I'm not convinced by IQs)

d) stress. Music performance is stressful so musicians learn how to perform under stress - so they do well in exams. Also, playing helps them calm themselves.

Musical kids o tend, on average, to do better at school. The question is does the music make tem smart or is it the smart kids that do music? I tend to favour the later.

PLEASE, LET ME REITTERATE - I'M NOT SAYING NON MUSICIANS ARE THICK. I KNOW YOU ARE NOT. I KNOW YOU CAN COME UP WITH EXAMPLES. I AM TALKING ABOUT AVERAGES OVER THE ENTIRE COUNTRY.

thanks
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Going by my school, the musicians tend to be high achievers and vice versa.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by historyhoney)
exaplan....
Not yes.
Onearmedbandit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
They say that people who learn music tend to do better all around academically.... I wouldn't rule this theory out having reading a few articles on it.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I agree with platinumki's version of events. At my school, a lot of the bright pupils played musical instruments, often very well, but the best musicians weren't always the bright kids, if that makes sense. Also, here at Cambridge (though my college is not a representative example, as it is excessively musical), where everyone is supposed to be clever, there are a lot of exceptional musicians, not all of whom are doing music! It's quite depressing actually - you get people saying "Well, I play the piano a bit but I'm no good really," "Oh, what grade did you get?" "Well, I got my grade 8, but I'm still rubbish" :rolleyes:
Harv616
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I dont play anything and i suck at everything
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BhArJ)
I dont play anything and i suck at everything
That proves it then!!! :p:
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
Not yes.
Lol!
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
I agree with platinumki's version of events. At my school, a lot of the bright pupils played musical instruments, often very well, but the best musicians weren't always the bright kids, if that makes sense. Also, here at Cambridge (though my college is not a representative example, as it is excessively musical), where everyone is supposed to be clever, there are a lot of exceptional musicians, not all of whom are doing music! It's quite depressing actually - you get people saying "Well, I play the piano a bit but I'm no good really," "Oh, what grade did you get?" "Well, I got my grade 8, but I'm still rubbish" :rolleyes:
is this usual at cambridge? :confused:

"I'am no good really" when you are grade 8.

:rolleyes: what
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by darkenergy)
is this usual at cambridge? :confused:

"I'am no good really" when you are grade 8.
(
It is at Clare. But then self-deprecation is a hobby here, as well as being insanely good at music.
Chumbaniya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm not totally sure about just playing instruments, but I know that music students tend to be those in higher groups in other subjects. And from what I've seen, most people who play instruments tend to be above average in most subjects. This is probably nothing to do with intelligence in a lot of cases - its just those who have the motivation to play instruments might have the motivation to do well at school.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed