itisfiona123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm starting A-levels in September and I need to pick my subjects. I want to do a geography degree at university, so obviously I'll do a geography A-level and maybe environmental science. I don't really enjoy biology or chemistry but if they will give me a better chance at gettting into a good uni then I'd be fine to take them. Will I need a science and even, if it isn't a requirement, should I take it anyway?
StudentFinley
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Geology is a good a level to take also. The syllabus almost copies physical geography so you can learn the same material for two subjects
princess_aj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi! Your best bet would be to take a look at some uni websites and their requirements. Each one may have slightly different criteria. Maybe look at some you would even be interested in going to in the future.

Example: Nottingham Trent uni actually accepts history as a science subject lol and they only require geography OR a science subject to get in. So you could go do a geography degree without even having a geography A-Level basically. If you really don’t want to go into science, history may be a good route to go.

Personally I would do geography, if you like the look of environmental science then go for it but don’t force yourself to do an extra science if you don’t enjoy it. Chances are you will be accepted into most courses with just geography so it’s better to choose something you will enjoy and can get good grades in as that’s probably what matters most.

I took geography, sociology and history for A-Levels and was offered places at several uni’s for geography.

I hope this makes sense & helps!
nutz99
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by itisfiona123)
I'm starting A-levels in September and I need to pick my subjects. I want to do a geography degree at university, so obviously I'll do a geography A-level and maybe environmental science. I don't really enjoy biology or chemistry but if they will give me a better chance at gettting into a good uni then I'd be fine to take them. Will I need a science and even, if it isn't a requirement, should I take it anyway?
If you don’t enjoy Biology or Chemistry then don’t take them as they will have no effect on your uni application. Take what you consider will give you the best grades.

Have you thought about whether to take a joint degree with Geography. A lot of people take Geology with Physical Geography (my niece is currently) so if that is an option you may like to consider Geology A level.
2fsawgroup3
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
if u wanna do human geog in uni, then i'd suggest econ, math, (history)
if u wanna do physical geog in uni, then i'd suggest physics, math, (chem)
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Depends what sort of Geography you want to do - physical or human. And if you want to do simply 'Geography' or a related subject like International Development, Environmental Science, Urban Studies, Geology etc etc or a joint degree with a related subject.
Click on 'Search for all courses' : https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/subjects/geography to see all the varieties that are available.
itisfiona123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Thank you to everyone who replied, you've all given me a lot to think about and research. Thanks for being so helpful
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by itisfiona123)
Hey itisfiona123,

I personally would focus on the subjects you actually would enjoy more as it's more likely you will do well in them. Obviously, it might be useful to pick certain subjects (particularly geography) however, Reading Uni does not require any specific subjects for Human and Physical Geography. It might be worth having a look at the universities you're interested in and seeing what the entry requirements are.

You might be interested in a virtual event being run called 'Understanding the UCAS process a multi-uni event' which can help clarify how UCAS works if you're interested.

Hope this helps and feel free to let us know if there is anything else we can help with!
From,

Amina 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads