Is a mid-tier university better than a RG uni for somebody with low stress tolerance?

Watch
Cricket008
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
During lockdown, I have had time to evaluate myself and my life etc... and I have realised that a life of ultra competitiveness and stress is not an environment I thrive in and I would like to prioritise my health and happiness rather than sacrificing my sleep for grades and being in such a toxic environment like I have witnessed in sixth form, for this reason, would you recommend me going to a mid-tier uni like kent or City instead of a RG uni like KCL or Nottingham thanks.
Cricket008
Rep:
?
Hi anybody Id love to hear your opinion! - thanks
Cricket008
Rep:
?
.... - This is a really important issue and would really like some answers
sy!¡
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
well uni is stressful anyway, it doesn’t matter whether you go to a mid tier uni or a RG uni because you would still get a similar workload. i think you should try to work on techniques that could perhaps reduce stress as this would be most beneficial for you.

when you are searching for potential uni’s you could also focus on the student support available to you while studying as this would be really helpful for you.
Cricket008
Rep:
?
(Original post by sy!¡)
well uni is stressful anyway, it doesn’t matter whether you go to a mid tier uni or a RG uni because you would still get a similar workload. i think you should try to work on techniques that could perhaps reduce stress as this would be most beneficial for you.

when you are searching for potential uni’s you could also focus on the student support available to you while studying as this would be really helpful for you.
yeh will - do, would you say that RG unis tend to have greater workloads than non RG unis?
sy!¡
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Cricket008)
yeh will - do, would you say that RG unis tend to have greater workloads than non RG unis?
well i don’t have the answer to that but i’m going to a less reputable RG uni this september so i’ll see. depends on your course really
Cricket008
Rep:
?
(Original post by sy!¡)
well i don’t have the answer to that but i’m going to a less reputable RG uni this september so i’ll see. depends on your course really
So I have a offer for a course at KCL, called International development
an offer for industrial economics which seems really stressful at uni of nottingham
and Kent for Economics and politics which seems the least stressful of the lot!
sy!¡
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
an offer for industrial economics which seems really stressful at uni of nottingham
wow well done into getting an offer from kcl and notts! you should have a look at the course and see which ones you prefer.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You need to sort out your ability to handle life first. Because adulting, employment, owning a house, managing bills, having children etc are all multiple times more stressful than any university degree you can think of.

There's no point getting yourself into 40k of debt if you aren't going to spend it on the best quality degree you can possibly get. Besides which, international development and industrial economics hardly lead to stress free jobs. Politics is pure stress!
Cricket008
Rep:
?
(Original post by sy!¡)
wow well done into getting an offer from kcl and notts! you should have a look at the course and see which ones you prefer.
I know, but the thing is, while im happy I got these offers, I just dont think I have it in me to do well in hyper-competitive environments and im a rather relaxed and chilled out dude who would happily settle for a lower salary if it meant i could have a peaceful, happy and healthy lifestyle where I would feel I'm being most true to myself
Cricket008
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
You need to sort out your ability to handle life first. Because adulting, employment, owning a house, managing bills, having children etc are all multiple times more stressful than any university degree you can think of.

There's no point getting yourself into 40k of debt if you aren't going to spend it on the best quality degree you can possibly get. Besides which, international development and industrial economics hardly lead to stress free jobs. Politics is pure stress!
this is true, to some extent and my parents tell me the same thing, but tbh - this is the same narrative I have been told all my life, prestige of unis is important but surely not as important as my inner happiness, I want to develop as a person and play sports like I did when I was a child, I have no interest in doing adulty stuff for as long as possible and I want to ultimately just enjoy the beauty of life and have inner bliss.

I am willing to sacrifice my future employability for this and just want to be happy as for the past few years, I have faced severe depression and a lack of fulfilment in my life, so I think going to a uni which will allow me to be do other things other than study and explore life will be more beneficial
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 4 weeks ago
I think that you're overestimating the workload you'd be doing at a non-Oxbridge RG. It also depends on your subject. Either way, going to uni to study e.g. English Lit while doing zero extracurriculars is pretty easy and leaves a fair amount of time for enjoying life.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
this is true, to some extent and my parents tell me the same thing, but tbh - this is the same narrative I have been told all my life, prestige of unis is important but surely not as important as my inner happiness, I want to develop as a person and play sports like I did when I was a child, I have no interest in doing adulty stuff for as long as possible and I want to ultimately just enjoy the beauty of life and have inner bliss.

I am willing to sacrifice my future employability for this and just want to be happy as for the past few years, I have faced severe depression and a lack of fulfilment in my life, so I think going to a uni which will allow me to be do other things other than study and explore life will be more beneficial
How are you going to avoid adulty stuff and just enjoy the beauty of life and have inner bliss without food and a roof over your head and the ability to pay bills?
Cricket008
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
How are you going to avoid adulty stuff and just enjoy the beauty of life and have inner bliss without food and a roof over your head and the ability to pay bills?
I live in the UK not Nigeria, going to a mid-tier uni still gives many employment opportunities and many employers barely put much emphasis on a degree in the specific industries i want to work in
Cricket008
Rep:
?
(Original post by Johnny ~)
I think that you're overestimating the workload you'd be doing at a non-Oxbridge RG. It also depends on your subject. Either way, going to uni to study e.g. English Lit while doing zero extracurriculars is pretty easy and leaves a fair amount of time for enjoying life.
How much more would a non-oxbridge RG uni be compared to a non-RG uni like kent? - like for real, sixth form has taught me that i cant thrive when being loaded with work and I can do well where there is a more managable workload
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 4 weeks ago
How much more would a non-oxbridge RG uni be compared to a non-RG uni like kent? - like for real, sixth form has taught me that i cant thrive when being loaded with work and I can do well where there is a more managable workload
Depends on the non-Oxbridge RG uni and the degree you're studying. Not all unis are the same, not all degrees are the same.

Also look at how the degree is assessed. Sounds like you'd be better off studying somewhere where your assessments are spread throughout the year instead of piled on at the end, which inevitably results in all nighters, cramming and other unpleasant things. I don't know how Kent does things, specifically, but it's something to factor into your future research.
Cricket008
Rep:
?
(Original post by Johnny ~)
Depends on the non-Oxbridge RG uni and the degree you're studying. Not all unis are the same, not all degrees are the same.

Also look at how the degree is assessed. Sounds like you'd be better off studying somewhere where your assessments are spread throughout the year instead of piled on at the end, which inevitably results in all nighters, cramming and other unpleasant things. I don't know how Kent does things, specifically, but it's something to factor into your future research.
thanks, appreciate your input - I will look into this
Siberiaan
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Uni will be stress regardless mate.
mike23mike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I know, but the thing is, while im happy I got these offers, I just dont think I have it in me to do well in hyper-competitive environments and im a rather relaxed and chilled out dude who would happily settle for a lower salary if it meant i could have a peaceful, happy and healthy lifestyle where I would feel I'm being most true to myself
Have you considered not going to uni and applying for an apprenticeship? There you begin work straight away and the company release you for a day to study. You will not have a say on the course or uni but it means you can work at a slower pace and still work and earn.
Cricket008
Rep:
?
(Original post by mike23mike)
Have you considered not going to uni and applying for an apprenticeship? There you begin work straight away and the company release you for a day to study. You will not have a say on the course or uni but it means you can work at a slower pace and still work and earn.
naa I want to do masters but I want to do it in a place where I will enjoy and will not crumble under intense workloads
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (128)
34.88%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (48)
13.08%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (22)
5.99%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (36)
9.81%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (49)
13.35%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (43)
11.72%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (41)
11.17%

Watched Threads