Aspiring to go to the Dyson Institute - Has anyone got any experince?

Watch
JackDalyDesigns
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi Guys,

My name is Jack and I really want to get into the Dyson Institute for 2022 (Finish A Levels in 2022). I just wanted to link up with other potential students who are looking at applying and talk to those that have gone through the application process or even studying there right now! Let me know! Id love to talk to you!

Thank you guys, I'm most worried about the application process so any information regarding this would help!

Cheers,

Jack
libostance
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Think about Mr. Dyson, he was rejected by the powers that be (Hoover), if anything he'll want to know how you deal with rejection, so go to him with a plan B.

Expect to be rejected, and politely have questions lined up for the end of the interview when there is an awkward silence, this will show your enthusiasm for the subject of engineering, over the brand name, unless of course it's all about the brand for you ?

You will be up against the likes of Tyler Bell (check out his YouTube channel), so take a year out and come up with a couple of real projects that make your portfolio stand out.

Good luck !
JackDalyDesigns
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by libostance)
Think about Mr. Dyson, he was rejected by the powers that be (Hoover), if anything he'll want to know how you deal with rejection, so go to him with a plan B.

Expect to be rejected, and politely have questions lined up for the end of the interview when there is an awkward silence, this will show your enthusiasm for the subject of engineering, over the brand name, unless of course it's all about the brand for you ?

You will be up against the likes of Tyler Bell (check out his YouTube channel), so take a year out and come up with a couple of real projects that make your portfolio stand out.

Good luck !
Hey there,

Thank you for the response, Its nice to get some advice.

Good point! I appreciate your insight. I took a look at Tyler Bells videos etc and his projects look great! After reviewing my work-in-progress portfolio (I'm hoping to digitalise it at jackdalydesigns.com however the project pages are still unfinished) and they seem a lot more electrical and a lot less mechanical/metal (however I am currently working on a rotary moulding machine so hopefully that will fill in the missing pieces. For me its not too much about the brand - more so the idea that I will be working on real project & studying. I have to ask! Are you currently studying at Dyson? Or looking to go there in the following years?

Thank you!

Jack
libostance
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am not a mechanical engineer.

Good luck.
emilymacz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi!

I'm Emily and I'm thinking of applying too!! Which A levels are you taking?
JackDalyDesigns
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by emilymacz)
Hi!

I'm Emily and I'm thinking of applying too!! Which A levels are you taking?
Hey Emily!
That's crazy! I'm taking Maths, D&T Product Design, Computer Science and Business - what about you?
emilymacz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by JackDalyDesigns)
Hey Emily!
That's crazy! I'm taking Maths, D&T Product Design, Computer Science and Business - what about you?
I'm taking Maths, Physics and Geography
libostance
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't be intimidated by the volume of workload others take on, ask yourself what tools you need to get to where you want to be and set the time to do each one according to the level of difficulty that you find it.

Most will drop out.
JackDalyDesigns
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by emilymacz)
I'm taking Maths, Physics and Geography
That's super cool. Worrying now though because I didn't take physics :/ - I'm hoping to take part in their summer course. in the meantime, I've been working on a variety of projects to do with engineering, I'm hoping that will help show them that I can take on the academic demand. What about you? What's your sort of 'strategy' to get into Dyson?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
10.39%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
64.94%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (11)
14.29%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (7)
9.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.3%

Watched Threads