The Student Room Group

Student nurse lacking confidence

I’m 2 weeks of a placement away from
Starting year 2 but I am struggling so much with ward placements. I had community as a first placement which I loved ( although sometimes I feel I needed to be more chatty), but if I hadn’t had this placement first I think I would’ve quit.

I find ward placements so hard, the 12.5 hours, how busy it is, and remembering everything that needed to be done. On my first ward placement I stuck to the hca role as I had never worked in care, but I’m struggling on this placement still, I am not confident with simple things like giving a patient instructions to transfer, or roll etc I haven’t got that easy banter most have and can get awkward and I am so self aware that this makes me anxious. I worry everyone is listening to me, watching me, thinking that I am terrible and I don’t know how to change how I feel to build the confidence.

Has anyone ever felt like this? Any help or advice would be amazing.
Reply 1
Original post by firstyearhelp27
I’m 2 weeks of a placement away from
Starting year 2 but I am struggling so much with ward placements. I had community as a first placement which I loved ( although sometimes I feel I needed to be more chatty), but if I hadn’t had this placement first I think I would’ve quit.

I find ward placements so hard, the 12.5 hours, how busy it is, and remembering everything that needed to be done. On my first ward placement I stuck to the hca role as I had never worked in care, but I’m struggling on this placement still, I am not confident with simple things like giving a patient instructions to transfer, or roll etc I haven’t got that easy banter most have and can get awkward and I am so self aware that this makes me anxious. I worry everyone is listening to me, watching me, thinking that I am terrible and I don’t know how to change how I feel to build the confidence.

Has anyone ever felt like this? Any help or advice would be amazing.

As long as you look interested in what you are doing and look like you are wanting to learn, somebody will always take you under their wing. Confidence comes with time and personally as a qualified nurse, I preferred to work with quiet but approachable staff. It took me a long time to gain confidence as a student, but once I qualified, just being able to give the best care to patients came as more important than anything. Also, some staff make out that they have the know-how when they don't and that is more dangerous. So don't worry, we have all been there. I'm sure once you get in to it you will be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending