The Student Room Group

Being in the place of trauma every day - PTSD

(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Foxehh
Have you been professionally diagnosed with PTSD? Or was it just a crappy experience?

Trauma affects everyone differently if its the case of the former. Could be good to speak to your therapist/psychiatrist about it.

Yes, I have been diagnosed professionally but can not start any therapy until I leave the school.
Reply 2
Original post by CuriousMind04
Yes, I have been diagnosed professionally but can not start any therapy until I leave the school.

Why cant you?
Original post by Foxehh
Why cant you?

They said it’s because they can’t treat the PTSD if I’m going back to the trauma every day.
Sounds counterproductive man, why not move schools?
Original post by V℮rsions
Sounds counterproductive man, why not move schools?

Because I love being at that school and just can’t seem to leave.
Because I love being at that school and just can’t seem to leave.

So whats the PTSD regarding to then?
Reply 7
They said it’s because they can’t treat the PTSD if I’m going back to the trauma every day.

Err what kind of professional are you going to... Ive never heard that before.
Original post by V℮rsions
So whats the PTSD regarding to then?

The abuse that happened there.
Original post by Foxehh
Err what kind of professional are you going to... Ive never heard that before.

I understand where they are coming from because it makes sense that you can’t recover from something if you’re still in that situation.
Reply 10
because you don't assume the whole school with your PTSD, only certain people and situations, which is why you don't want to leave it. is that correct?
I understand where they are coming from because it makes sense that you can’t recover from something if you’re still in that situation.

Your best choice is to just leave then man, seems like you're prolonging therapy by choosing not to? I don't know your life dynamic but the easiest options sometimes is the best one.
Reply 12

Okay so why dont you move schools..? "I like the school" isnt much of a reason to stay if you're experiencing post traumatic stress disorder as a result. You're the only one who can take the first step to getting help, if thats a requirement for whatever reason.
(edited 3 years ago)

You can, it just has to be done with much greater care with someone who is very knowledgeable regarding trauma. Personally, if it's taken place at a school, I'd still move if it is a place of significant trauma (enough to cause PTSD). Your health overrides the "love" of the school. Think about it, speak with your teachers. Otherwise you're just perpetually trolling yourself whilst you go there.
(edited 3 years ago)

you've already shut down the option of leaving the school. You cant be treated for your ptsd while you are there. You must put up with it then as there's no other solution.
Original post by Joleee
because you don't assume the whole school with your PTSD, only certain people and situations, which is why you don't want to leave it. is that correct?

Yes, that’s exactly it. It seems to confuse people as to why I would “want to be somewhere that reminds me of what happened and still see them people”. Is it a bad thing that I don’t want to leave? Is the right decision to move schools?
Original post by Foxehh
Okay so why dont you move schools..? "I like the school" isnt much of a reason to stay if you're experiencing post traumatic stress disorder as a result. You're the only one who can take the first step to getting help, if thats a requirement for whatever reason.

I understand this but I don’t cope well at all with change and I’m afraid that if I leave, my mental health will drop to a very dangerous area. I have moved once before and this is what happened but I later returned to my original school. It’s like I can’t leave until I really have to, otherwise it’s like I’m giving up a fight, being week, and will never have closure.
Reply 17
I understand this but I don’t cope well at all with change and I’m afraid that if I leave, my mental health will drop to a very dangerous area. I have moved once before and this is what happened but I later returned to my original school. It’s like I can’t leave until I really have to, otherwise it’s like I’m giving up a fight, being week, and will never have closure.

You dont fight trauma by continuing to put yourself in triggering situations every day. That's not the 'strong' option, its the stupid one.
Either cope with the change or continue dealing with the trauma. Sometimes you have to make choices in life, I would think you'd choose the logical one.
I get this in a way. I had a similar experience (although, never was diagnosed until I was an adult. My doctor was very much against diagnosing before the age of 16).

For me, it was hell, but I think it would have been worse if I had left as it would be admitting defeat/letting them push me out of somewhere I otherwise enjoyed to be.

Also being said, my mental health grew worse and worse overtime and it's something I struggle with now more than ever because I didn't protect myself from certain traumas/traumatic environments when I otherwise felt they weren't effecting me.

I'd get out and get a fresh start. You can still hold on to your friendship groups and have the potential to make more if you move, knowing you'll be about of that triggering environment.

It's always there underlying, whether you consciously acknowledge/experience it day to day or not.
Original post by Anonymous
I get this in a way. I had a similar experience (although, never was diagnosed until I was an adult. My doctor was very much against diagnosing before the age of 16).

For me, it was hell, but I think it would have been worse if I had left as it would be admitting defeat/letting them push me out of somewhere I otherwise enjoyed to be.

Also being said, my mental health grew worse and worse overtime and it's something I struggle with now more than ever because I didn't protect myself from certain traumas/traumatic environments when I otherwise felt they weren't effecting me.

I'd get out and get a fresh start. You can still hold on to your friendship groups and have the potential to make more if you move, knowing you'll be about of that triggering environment.

It's always there underlying, whether you consciously acknowledge/experience it day to day or not.

So, do you think it is best to leave? What if my mental health gets worse because of the move? It’s such a hard decision because it seems to have a negative effect either way, like there is no winning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending