The Student Room Group

Has anyone here ever suffered from substance addiction/dependence?

Mere curiosity here, be it caffeine or crack has anyone ever had this medical condition and if so did you manage to shake it or find a way to live with it?
I use the difference between addiction and dependence as addiction tends to mean that your life is ruled by the substance whilst dependence tends to mean, whilst you need it, you can still function quite happily without it. Its a bit of a fungible difference but one worth considering when answer
Obviously feel free to use the anon function :smile:
Yeah I was quite dependant on alcohol when I was in Year 12 but I managed to stop drinking it so often, it was quite hard but I surprisingly don't crave it as much anymore. I'm trying to break through my nic addiction, its been like 2-3 weeks since I had my last cig and I crave having a smoke ALOT but I always look at the pros like my healthier skin and my hair stopped thinning. I also found a substitute for it being a mug of tea which gives me my dopamine instead of cigs. Also this may be weird but when I crave a cig while im studying etc I pretend my pen is a cig and take a few 'puffs' which helps my craving. I have tried other high class drugs but never been hooked on them thank god.

Quick Reply

Latest